Black People : What Do The Words 'Activist' And 'Intellectual' Mean To You?

Yep, Sister Chevron, that's exactly what I was saying....I just prefer to use the words "assess/evaluate" or "analyze."----For example, when the BPP started the breakfast program, they first "assessed" that there was a need and then they worked toward supplying/providing that need...thus, they ACTIVELY pursued a "means" to an "end."

But, an "Intellectual" only has the "thought" of what is wrong and how to fix it...without actual participation/ACTIVISM towards an end.

It's like "THEORY" and "PRACTICE."

Intellectuals have the "theory."

But, Activists put the theory into practice.

Yes, an "Idea man" is always needed but then you need workers who will actually carry out the idea.

On point/on time...

Well put/well presented...

Thank you, Brother Chuck....It's really the same thing I said in my first post...

An "Activist" is an individual who gets off his or her butt and actively works towards addressing needs and challenges for a cause.

An "Intellectual" is an individual who sits on his or her butt talking about what others should do towards addressing needs and challenges for a cause.
]

I don't agree...

Nothing was or is as easy or as simple as that...

After all:

First comes the thought...

Then a plan of action...

Afterwards comes activism...

I. e., speaking up/standing up over one incident of bias or racism is fine and well, though a true activist is in this for the long haul...

My point was and is this:

I believe some don't make a clear distinction between being concerned citizens as opposed to being committed activists...

Even concerned citizens expect their elected officials etc. to fix everything...

Our peoples notions of some things are no different than white folks and everybody else...

So long overdue for our oh so leftist or nationalist counterparts to quit denying the obvious and face up to the truth too...

:em0200:

Good monring, sis...

And thanks again for the feedback...

But my other intent and purpose was and is to get others to realize and recognize there's far more to being an intellectual than posting their viewpoints etc. on message boards--far more to being an activist than berating and chiding other people at a distance and not offfering more in terms of actual advice and support as regards whatever they too have to cope and deal with, i. e., in this era characterized by a power struggle between the young turks--aka Obama--and/or hoardy old warts--aka the white neocons ad naseum...

:em0200:

An according to Webster the definition of activist is the following so I will give my interpretation of that stated....

Main Entry: ac·tiv·ism
Pronunciation: \ˈak-ti-ˌvi-zəm\
Function: noun
Date: 1915
: a doctrine or practice that emphasizes direct vigorous action especially in support of or opposition to one side of a controversial issue

Given this, I would say that the acts that an activist does is dependent upon the issue that she is supporting or opposing. In my opinion, thinking, planning, talking, creating, debating, building are all acts for which we can use to display our activism....

I am a student and my subject matter takes up the bulk of my time....I am studying now so that I can do more later. Right now my activism is displayed by thinking of ways to help myself and my comm, talking about that which my people struggle with, and building w/those of like minds to become stronger. These are huge tasks and not to be taken lightly. Furthermore, I can not say that my brand of activism is less important than any other. I think its all about doing what you can w/what you have.

Peace

Two ongoing wars about things most of us neither did nor or do understand much about...

Add in an economic crisis nobody bothered to inform us would be the aftermath of either of them---i. e., since half of the national debt was/is a product of suchlike...

Centuries of our own ancesotors/forebears/etc. enslavement/our own folks decades of segregation/etc.:

And we're expected to be on the same level of whites, who've at least were or are free men/women, since the founding of this nation?

Yeah, right!

No, bet...

We be the exploited and oppressed:

They be the exploiters and oppressors...

So from the getgo:

Ignorance ain't 'bliss':

And the truth will set you free...

If you truly choose to be...

:fyi:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back