Black People : WORDS

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Al D, May 7, 2017.

1. Al D

Al D We become that which we repeatedly do.. PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Retired Business Owner
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +477
    This particular topic has been swirling around in my mind for years and now I feel that the time has arrived for me to finally speak on it. As you can see, the title to this piece is (WORDS) and I want to speak about the power that people give to them.. What exactly are they except a means of which we communicate and interact with one another for whatever the purpose may be. They are fundamental and primarily essential to our understanding and learning but otherwise are not relevant...However, there are those people in the world who understand the power that words can have and will not hesitate to use them as a tool to divide, control, manipulate and exploit... So Beware! continue

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. freddie419

freddie419 Banned MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +498
    ain't nothin but a word, brother Al D

3. IFE

IFE going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,204
    Words have power. Words will get you love, a beat down, or killed.
    Don't listen to this brother? and start saying the wrong words.
    Words are powerful.

4. Al D

United States
    Retired Business Owner
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +477
    No, my sister, words are not powerful, it is the way people receive and react to them that gives them power. Words will not get you love, a beat down or killed. It is the actions of people that will do these things..Example; Just simply saying I love you is not enough, it has to be expressed in so many other ways, such as being attentive, supportive, caring, nurturing and most of all listening.. Words can communicate that love but the actions demonstrate or express it and you being a woman should know this.
    Clearly you misunderstood the post.. I am not advocating or promoting the use of these words that folks may find offensive. I'm talking about not allowing to them to hurt you emotionally thus taking away their sting and power...Folks can choose to do either one just as they can choose to listen to my words or not. They don't need some one telling them not too....

5. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,204
    My experience with people using the wrong words have resulted in the police becoming involved. If someone, white, calls me the "N" word again we gone have a problem, again.
    I'm not speaking from the article. I'm talking real life.
    Yes, folk can choose to do/say whatever they want, as long as they are aware of the possible consequences of their words.
    I'm speaking from personal experience, not what ifs......
    I'm at the grocery store on Sat. In the checkout line. Putting grocery on counter, I notice I've forgotten something, and mutter to myself, softly, damnnn.
    The Hispanic or Latino cashier opens his big mouth and tells me "I don't allow cursing in my line. What? #1, I wasn't talking to him. #2 I was not even facing him when I said damnnn. I tell him, politely, I wasn't talking to you. He continues, I'm just telling you I don't allow cursing in my line. He continues to scold me about cursing. And he's not ringing up my groceries.
    OK, because of previous encounters, Ima handle this differently.
    I began to put my grocery back in my basket. Stupid ask me, what are you doing? I tell him "you giving me bad energy, I I don't want you touching my grocery. And, I'm a GAWoman, and don't need you telling me what I cannot say". Im walking away and big mouth is still talking.
    He was new, or he would have known regular customer.
    I reported him to management.
    He gone lose his job over words. He will be fired over his WORDS.

Not only I'm I a woman, I've been married for 29 years, 30 this year. We speak kind, loving words to each other.

If others can take whites calling them the N word and do nothing....I have nothing to say about that.
    The N word has the power to get somebody a beat down or shot.
    With all due respect, the article I read is bogus. Did you write the article?

If words had no power, the murder rate would go down to 1 a week or less.
    Arguments, fights, murder, all started with WORDS.

6. Hermetic

Hermetic Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +326
    This post is something similar to what the Ausar Auset Society discussed with some of us college students back in the early 90's concerning control over one's reaction to their own emotions. That in the end emotions have only the power over you that you allow them to have.

Words work through emotional manipulation, and so if one can control his reactions to his emotions, one can deny power over words said to seek a negative reaction out of you. In the end allowing you to respond in a more rational manner to the situation, instead of blindly reacting based on the present negative emotion invoked by the words.

• Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  7. Al D

United States
    Retired Business Owner
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +477

Yes, I did write this piece and I stand by it as I do all my work.
    It's not the words that damage folks, it's the people who can't control their emotions and who allow themselves to be suckered into an altercation.....If I know that I can get an emotional reaction from you by just using a few words that I know will get you upset, then who has the power? I can pull your strings just like a puppet!!
    If someone beats someone down or kills someone over a word, as far as I'm concerned they need psychological help and are in desperate need of coping skills regardless of who they are. We're not talking about some smack'in someone's mama or assaulting them. We're talking about a word that someone has assigned definition too that folks find offensive. We're also talking about seizing control and power and encouraging folks not to react to these words because nothing gets accomplished by acting emotionally and irrationally..
    I'm pretty sure that you are not the only person who disagrees with the article and I am pleased that you have expressed that disagreement. It gives us an opportunity to have dialogue. I can understand how you feel because I have been there but at the end of the day we have to find a way to move past the pettiness and build...Which is why I implore folks to let go in order to grow...Being reactionary skews rational thought and does not allow that, it prevents progress.. Just my thoughts..

8. Black Cypher

Black Cypher Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +74
    "Words work through emotional manipulation, and so if one can control his reactions to his emotions, one can deny power over words said to seek a negative reaction out of you. In the end allowing you to respond in a more rational manner to the situation, instead of blindly reacting based on the present negative emotion invoked by the words."

Excellent point! I agree....

9. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,204
    Words start wars. Not only wars person on person; also wars between Continents, government, countries.
    People who have never met each other go to war over words.
    I wish for a world where people will just shut up.
    Life and death or in the power of the tongue .

Good read, even if I disagree.

Peace

10. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,204
    So, according to your article when someone calls/called me a N or a B, I should just walk away? Like I didn't hear the words? Can't do that, or every time I see that person, they may have a new name for me. Might as well nip in the bud and possible save their life. They will have a confirmed indication of the consequences of those words. I'm doing it for them, not me.
    Have you ever been attacked by words?
    The first time I walked away, not really walked away, the white girl who broke my B cherry ran away. I had never been called a B.
    When I came home, I felt sick. It's not healthy to walk away from real bad word situations. That's why some people so angry; they keep walking away instead of handling people that choose to use words for whatever reason. I don't know if these are crazy, insane people who call people out their name. They end up on the floor wondering how they got there.
    I'm not a fighter. I went all my life without being called a racist name or a B. I had never considered what I would do if I was ever called these words. The scary thing is my reaction was basic instinct. I didn't know I could be violent until I was tested. I believe I know myself better. I know my basic instincts. To walk away didn't occur to me.
    Do you know your basic instincts?
    That's why words are so dangerous. The person using the words may be thinking one thing, but the receiver of the words reacts on basic instincts.
    Temporary insanity. The article does not address basic instincts that words can wake up. It assumes that the reactor is thinking before reacting. No so. Not thinking at all. Knocking somebody upside the head, or worse, is the only reaction. No thinking required.