Black People : What Do The Words 'Activist' And 'Intellectual' Mean To You?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by chuck, Feb 18, 2010.

1. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Good morning, posters...

But, if one thing is becoming obvious to me, I don't feel or think what being an activist and/or an intellectual means to me, is always defined via the same means and ways as others do, who post on these forums, etc.

I was and am a reflection of the era which came after the urban rebellions of the sixties:

On the other hand, times have changed, so maybe even I kinda sorta need and want an update...

So any and all comments etc. this subject thread will be both appreciated and quite welcomed for the most obvious of reasons as well...

Thanks in advance!

Later...

Peace...

:qqb003:

2. LindaChavis

LindaChavis Well-Known Member MEMBER

Car Sales Consultant
    Ratings:
    +147
    Let's

start with..an activist wouldnt post on here much because in my view that term means they are actually doing what is necessary to make change. Intellects are folks like Harris-Lacewell who put pen to paper.

3. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Please do place within the context of whatever you plan to sumit or post:

1) Whatever you learned or were taught via those 'crash courses' I'm guessing were also a part of the Million Man March movement activities and/or passed along by veteran movement activists etc.

2) Also do contrast that with what our peoples enemies and/or their minions did and do need and want you to associate with suchlike as well...

As for me:

I have no respect and no love for veteran 'black militants' or 'white leftists' who recycle the dated rhetoric ad naseum of past movement eras...

I. e., I have nothing to 'prove', though some things to (share) show you, as in what was real about some of us--fake about those who just did (or do) give mere service to what we were trying to be about then...

Gloom and doom comments 24/7 only give confuse and dumbfound some--give others an excuse to do nothing...

Instead all past movements had their high and low points--their advances and their retreats...

Then, too, one can write and taught about Garvey and Dubois--Malcolm and Martin--as though somebody can and will channel their spirits--use them to rouse us towards a new movement...

That's idealistic at best...

More realistic to emulate their examples...

Not only am I'm interested in finding out what it means to you to be activists and intellectuals:

I'm expecting a few of you to be them!

That was and is my 'agenda'...

:fyi:

4. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560

An "Activist" is an individual who gets off his or her butt and actively works towards addressing needs and challenges for a cause.

An "Intellectual" is an individual who sits on his or her butt talking about what others should do towards addressing needs and challenges for a cause.

5. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    I don't agree...

Nothing was or is as easy or as simple as that...

After all:

First comes the thought...

Then a plan of action...

Afterwards comes activism...

I. e., speaking up/standing up over one incident of bias or racism is fine and well, though a true activist is in this for the long haul...

My point was and is this:

I believe some don't make a clear distinction between being concerned citizens as opposed to being committed activists...

Even concerned citizens expect their elected officials etc. to fix everything...

Our peoples notions of some things are no different than white folks and everybody else...

So long overdue for our oh so leftist or nationalist counterparts to quit denying the obvious and face up to the truth too...

:em0200:

6. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Hmmmm....Well, from my standpoint, your breakdown is really, in essence, the same as mine.

Of course, there first has to be a "thought," an identifying of what is the cause/effect and a do-able plan to counter...and an "activist" is just one who gets involved BEYOND the "thought."

...opposed to an "intellectual" who only has the "thought."

7. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    Yes. I do agree.

Great thread!

i believe that before an activist can do anything, he/she has to intellectualize and consider other issues.

I'm glad to see you back in action Sister cherryblossom.

8. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560

Thanx, Sister Chevron....Yeah, I left for a few days and sho nuff missed some "going ons!"

I'm still tryna to get caught up.

9. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    One has to be candid and honest as well as fair and objective, or one dares to make (bad) judgement calls, i. e., whereas I did and do appreciate anybody as well as everybody who is making a positive contribution, be it writing letters to the editor, etc.

So, while what I'm about to say and write is not being directed at you, there is a bad tendency for some who are already activists etc. to thumb their noses at those who aren't (or probably won't be), i. e., unless they're motivated to become one...

Simply put:

Some others do care as much...

Some others weren't or aren't being led to believe they can and should be making more of an effort to help us to resolve the present day issues/problems/etc. we and our people have to cope and deal with these days...

The Civil Rights and Black Power movements didn't blow in on a good wind:

Some folks had to come together--agree about a common intent/purpose/etc.--then a few helped to come up with a plan of action--etc.

Those who helped to do so came from inside--not outside--of our various communities--etc.

Others went to those outside of their own to assist those on the inside trying to bring about the same things...

That's how what started out as a local grassroots effort to end legally santioned segregation in Alabama turned into a national movement to end segregation in the United States...

Flashforward and some folks here helped the Black South Africans toppled the apartheid system in their nation as well...

Though I mean to make a point--not a speech...

I. e., activists aren't just born, and some must be willing to reach--and to teach, so we are aided via our own efforts, as well...

:fyi:

10. Jahari Kavi

Jahari Kavi Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Self Development
    Ratings:
    +523
    they should go hand in hand with one another imo........