Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : What Age did you GET or NOTICE the first Perm / Press ?

What Age did you GET or NOTICE the first Press / Perm

• Total voters

Destee

destee.com
destee.com
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Peace and Blessings Family,

I'm under the impression that most are like me, getting their first perm at an early age, but i might be wrong.

I've phrased the question in a way so that Brothers can respond too, telling us the age they first noticed a Black Woman ... their Mother, Sister, Aunt, etc. ... with permed / pressed hair.

I think we are guilty of inflicting self hate upon our children, boys and girls, by allowing this to continue.

Teaching them at young ages, to think what God gave them (or their Mommas, Sisters, etc.) is ugly.

I've mentioned this a time or two in previous posts, but i have no real data to back up my opinion.

So let's tally some up ... shall we ? :)

VOTE IN THE POLL ABOVE

FOR THE SISTERS :

What age did you get your first perm / press?

FOR THE BROTHERS :

What age did you first notice a Sister with permed / pressed hair?

Please vote in the poll above, and leave comments below if you'd like.

Thanks Yall!

:heart:

Destee

I got my first perm at 13 yrs old. My very first job was an assistant to a beautician. This gave me the opportunity to get my hair done for free. I remember begging my mother to let me have it done. She perferred the hot press and had never had a perm until she was atleast in her late 30's. My first experience with the hotcomb, was at the tender age 7.

I'm likely to be an exception to the rule - but i did not even know these things existed until after 20, when I was in Uni, in Africa. I should add that I grew up rather isolated from black society (NW USA), and have a very diverse family - more than half my siblings having been adopted from various racial backgrounds - we differ in shades and hair types - of relevence here is my sister, who is darkest of us all - but with straight hair. Also note, these things I never questioned growing up - it just was. It never occured to me to question why some hair is different than others, or skin tones, or anything else along that same vein.

In Uni, is when I saw that first fateful pink box, and chemical smell, from a fellow student who was "home perming" her hair in her dorm room. (Its around the same time I learnt about skin lighteners in a tube.) I also learnt that only a select few permed their hair - those who could afford it - but the results were ghastly (in my eye) and I didnt give it a second glance.

I've been living in the EU for a couple of years now and decided to make some serious changes about myself and my surrounds before I hit 40 - You only live once, and I want to try out a number of new things - having long hair being one of them. I did not want straight hair - just.. a large stylish afro.. but I believe my request was misinterpreted because I'm currently suffering some interesting squiggly waves on my head - soon to be resolved.

But at age 36 - that as the first time I was exposed to the black hair industry - saw hair being sold, and sewn onto peoples scalps. What an oddity! hahaha -I find it fascinating indeed. I see black woman differently now - mentally trying to determine if their hair is natural or not - and knowing what lengths some go through to lose the fro.

Absolutely no disrespect intended to those who buy from that market. Sincerely. I do not consider it denying heritage any more than the other western fashions we've adopted. I do, however, find it very interesting - and ohhhh.. do I love my fro more and cant wait to get it back. :)

PurpleMoons said:
I got my first perm at 13 yrs old. My very first job was an assistant to a beautician. This gave me the opportunity to get my hair done for free. I remember begging my mother to let me have it done. She perferred the hot press and had never had a perm until she was atleast in her late 30's. My first experience with the hotcomb, was at the tender age 7.

See Sister Purple ... how you gonna mess up your vote, and you the first one vote'n ... :lol:

You shooda chose under 10, since your first hotcomb experiece was at 7 ... right?

Is my question kinda confuse'n ?? ... is that how come i aint gett'n no voters? ... :(

You so krazee ... i love you !!! :kiss:

Destee

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back