Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : What did your mother teach you about your hair?

I was told by a mother figure not to let any one "play" in my hair... because hair is a transmitter of energy, and fingertips emitt energy... thus another persons fingers in my hair could obstruct my "tuning in ability". I was also told some one can put a "root" on me via my hair.

All that yin-yang, and she "slapped" a perm on my hair at 8. LOL.

I grew up in the "press 'n curl" generation. It was a time when most Black people considered a natural wave and curl to your hair as "good" hair. A time when the kinkiness or smoothness of your edges were the measuring tool to judge whether you were good enough to be liked or be a part of a special friendship "click". Never was it acceptable for Black girls to go out in public with their hair natural. As a young teen, then came the "Afro", during the Civil Rights Movement era and sexual revolution. That was a time when I think Black people truly started to believe they were "free" from racial oppression and we wore our 'Fro's as a royal headpiece, large and well-maintained. My parents nor the parents of most of my generation understood why we would prefer wearing our hair natural as opposed to pressed/permed and curled. Ever since those two diametrically opposed eras, I came to understand how Black women's hair was a political statement and not just a fashion piece.

Queenie :heart:

My mother didn't really teach me anything about hair.
Her hair is like fine and soft, I got my dad's hair, super dupa thick and nappy.
so my granny did my hair, kept it clean greased and pressed. That pressed stuff never really worked well on my hair though. She also used Vigorol(sp?) it was supposed to make the press last longer.
I didn't really care what my hair looked like but I used to get teased alot at school so my mother permed it once when I was in fourth grade.
I got it pressed until 11th grade and then I got it permed again.

atomicangel said:
My mother taught me that if I want my hair to grow and look good then I need to relax it and that we're not in the primal ages anymore and now me have to have hair that's easy to comb.
Thank God I'm a smarter version of my mother.

lol myth #1, perm grows hair. no it just straightens the hair so that you can see the length.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back