Monetary

REGISTERED MEMBER
Dec 15, 2002
Detroit, MI
members.blackplanet.com
Occupation
Economist
Associated Press said:
LAS VEGAS -- Floyd Mayweather Sr., who has trained Oscar De La Hoya since late 2000, said it doesn't appear he'll work for De La Hoya -- and against his son -- in the May 5 super welterweight title bout at the MGM Grand Garden.

De La Hoya hasn't chosen his trainer for what promoters hope will be the best-selling pay-per-view bout ever. It's expected to be the biggest nonheavyweight fight, and the elder Mayweather said he wants his share of a large pie.

“ I'd work for Oscar if the deal is right, because that's my job and boxing is just a sport. ... If you want me to tell you how to beat my son -- and I'm the only one who can tell Oscar how to do that -- then you need to pay
me. ”
— Floyd Mayweather Sr.

"If they want me to work against my son, then they're going to have to pay me," Mayweather Sr. told the Las Vegas Review-Journal. "My son and I, no matter what's gone down between us, he's still my blood. Hey, I'd work for Oscar if the deal is right, because that's my job and boxing is just a sport.

"But if you want me to tell you how to beat my son -- and I'm the only one who can tell Oscar how to do that -- then you need to pay me."

Mayweather Sr. said he was offered a $500,000 guarantee and $500,000 if De La Hoya wins, which he called insulting. He said he wants a flat $2 million. De La Hoya is expected to make a guarantee in excess of $20 million and will share in the pay-per-view profits.

Mayweather and his son have feuded since 1999 and rarely speak. The elder Mayweather said he would work for his son if his son asked, though he said he didn't expect it. Mayweather Jr. employs his uncle, Roger Mayweather, as his trainer.

Mayweather Sr. said he has no other disputes with De La Hoya and, if he isn't hired to work this fight, would not rule out working for De La Hoya again in the future.

But he said there's no way he'll accept a flat $1 million, let alone the offer he said De La Hoya made.

"Let him take his million and give it to someone else," Mayweather Sr. said. "It's not like he doesn't have the money to pay me. And this isn't just any fight. And that isn't just any fighter. That's my son in there. Good, bad or indifferent, that's my son."

Mayweather Sr. said if he doesn't work the fight, he expects his son to have little problem beating De La Hoya.

"All he has to do is stay away from the left hook and it's over," Mayweather Sr. said. "But with me, I'll show Oscar how to land that left. That would change things."

Click HEAR for article.

I guess the Mayweather family is trying to cash in on both sides of the pot in this fight. :lol:

Monetary ... i think this is terrible!

How you gonna sell your own son out? Teach someone how to beat him down?!

iono ... maybe it's just me ... but gosh ... some things should not be for sale ... at any price.

:heart:

Destee

Destee said:
Monetary ... i think this is terrible!

How you gonna sell your own son out? Teach someone how to beat him down?!

iono ... maybe it's just me ... but gosh ... some things should not be for sale ... at any price.

:heart:

Destee
Destee, it's free money...and Floyd Mayweather Sr. knows that. He's just hyping up De la Hoya so that he'll pay him big bucks to train him against his son. Floyd Sr. is running game. Floyd will beat Dela Hoya.

Floyd Sr. don't know how to beat Floyd Jr. it's all hype he's just trying to make that coin, personally however if it was my boy fighting I'd bow out of the whole thing on principle . I'll never even pretend to tell another man how to whoop my son much less really try to give him a real strategy to do it.

Goodby ODH it's been fun rooting against you all these years.

WAR Floyd Jr.

MississippiRed

De La Hoya won't use Mayweather Sr. as trainer

ESPN.COM said:
Oscar De La Hoya is changing trainers for what will likely be the richest fight of his career, The Los Angeles Times reported Thursday.

According to a spokeswoman for Golden Boy Promotions, Floyd Mayweather Sr., who has trained De La Hoya since 2000, will not be in his corner when he fights Floyd Mayweather Jr. on May 5.

The elder Mayweather wanted $2 million to train De La Hoya to fight his son. Golden Boy, De La Hoya's company, said Wednesday the price was too high, the Times reported .

Mayweather Sr. previously said he was offered a $500,000 guarantee and $500,000 if De La Hoya wins, which he said was an insulting offer. De La Hoya is expected to make in excess of $20 million from the fight and will share in the pay-per-view profits.

Mayweather and his son have feuded since 1999 and rarely speak. The elder Mayweather said he would work for his son if his son asked, though he said he didn't expect it. Mayweather Jr. employs his uncle, Roger Mayweather, as his trainer.

Mayweather Sr. said he has no other disputes with De La Hoya and, if he isn't hired to work this fight, would not rule out working for De La Hoya again in the future.

Floyd Jr. is talking about retiring after this fight. We'll see what happens. I believe the ring will call his name once again.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't necessarily agree with Floyd Sr's decision to train De Loya to beat his son in a match. But, when a statement like this is made by a son's Dad, it has to be the money...and nothing but.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back