Pan Africanism : Latino or Afro-Latino? You decide!

spicybrown said:
Victoria 87: "Hispanics don't identify themselves by skin color, we identify ourselves by nationality. My skin may be white, but I don't have the same views as a Caucasian person from England or Ireland or wherever may be from. Get it straight."

O.K. I respect your analogy, but why is it that Mexicans don't even acknowledge their Afro-Mexican countrymen? There is division in the Latino culture based on skin color, just like it is in the AA community. Wherever there is a myraid of colors within a race, you best believe there will be some sort of prejudice against the darker folk, thanx to European colonization. Also whites allow some Mexicans to identify as "Caucasian" on the census to broaden their numbers. Not to mention all of the lighter-skinned Latinos in South America. It is known that SOME Latin American countries with FEW Blacks actually brag thet they have few to no Morenos. You can witness this by tuning into just about any Latino channel, and see how the Spanish side is only/mainly celebrated, along with anglo featured spokespersons. This is perfectly fine as long as they recognize and flaunt their Native culture too. That's the same as many Blacks going around saying they're anglo and Indian, just ignoring the pedominant African admixture in us. :nono:

The thing you have to understand is that Latin America and the U.S have different views on Latinos and skin tone. In the U.S, we're "supposed" to be tan, brown, or black, never white. However Latin America knows that all shades exist, but the thing is, our media makes it seem like you are more attractive if you are either a light tan brown or just white, so instead of people wanting to be darker, they want have lighter skin. If you flip to our channels and watch the shows very few black Hispanics are featured in anything unless a famous star has black skin. Most, if not all, of our telenovelas are filmed in Mexico, Brazil, and Colombia (I think). Those three countries are known for being prejudiced against blacks, in fact, there was a huge controversy in Brazil when a black woman got a leading role in one for the very first time about a year ago (which I think was kind of stupid, seeing as they should have fully expected it when they saw that the name of the show was "The Color of Sin," which dealed with an "interracial" couple). So most of the time, you'll only see a black Hispanic as a servant or a Voo Doo expert making potions. But if they're filmed in Puerto Rico or another country that accepts blacks as much as whites, then you'll see them all the time.

It's complicated, because it deals with different countries and different situations and different views. Like, Argentinians are mostly white, but a lot of South Americans or Caribbeans are black, so it depends on the black population as well. However, I still don't think white Hispanics view ourselves as "Caucasian." If in the census, I was told to mark specifically what skin color I had and Caucasian was the only option, then that's what I would have to put down. In some forms that's what they want, that's why sometimes you see these options:

White (not Hispanic)
Black (Not Hispanic)

. . .because if they were looking for skin tone, my cousin would put down black, and I would put down white, even though we're both Dominican, which is seriously confusing. You'll often see this too:

White Hispanic
Black Hispanic

They obviously want culture and skin tone, so people in my family would have to put down different options.

Now, I don't know what the options were for the census, so I don't really know what to say to that one, so it would be helpful if I knew what they were.

Victoria87 said:
The thing you have to understand is that Latin America and the U.S have different views on Latinos and skin tone. In the U.S, we're "supposed" to be tan, brown, or black, never white. However Latin America knows that all shades exist, but the thing is, our media makes it seem like you are more attractive if you are either a light tan brown or just white, so instead of people wanting to be darker, they want have lighter skin. If you flip to our channels and watch the shows very few black Hispanics are featured in anything unless a famous star has black skin. Most, if not all, of our telenovelas are filmed in Mexico, Brazil, and Colombia (I think). Those three countries are known for being prejudiced against blacks, in fact, there was a huge controversy in Brazil when a black woman got a leading role in one for the very first time about a year ago (which I think was kind of stupid, seeing as they should have fully expected it when they saw that the name of the show was "The Color of Sin," which dealed with an "interracial" couple). So most of the time, you'll only see a black Hispanic as a servant or a Voo Doo expert making potions. But if they're filmed in Puerto Rico or another country that accepts blacks as much as whites, then you'll see them all the time.

It's complicated, because it deals with different countries and different situations and different views. Like, Argentinians are mostly white, but a lot of South Americans or Caribbeans are black, so it depends on the black population as well. However, I still don't think white Hispanics view ourselves as "Caucasian." If in the census, I was told to mark specifically what skin color I had and Caucasian was the only option, then that's what I would have to put down. In some forms that's what they want, that's why sometimes you see these options:

White (not Hispanic)
Black (Not Hispanic)

. . .because if they were looking for skin tone, my cousin would put down black, and I would put down white, even though we're both Dominican, which is seriously confusing. You'll often see this too:

White Hispanic
Black Hispanic

They obviously want culture and skin tone, so people in my family would have to put down different options.

Now, I don't know what the options were for the census, so I don't really know what to say to that one, so it would be helpful if I knew what they were.

Thank you for providing your input.

Now... based on this, do you have an understanding as to why some blacks might be reluctant to be compassionate to issues relating to the non-black persons/countries in the Latino community, especially in regards to immigration issues? Do you have an understanding as to why some may feel why show compassion to groups that don't like us?

And do you understand that many American blacks might feel that these prejudices are based on white imperalism rather than "oh... that group is ugly," or, "that group is violent,"... generalizations, basically? I say this because sometimes some non-black people believe the stereotypes, and fail to understand the history of how they came about one, and two, do not wish to judge blacks as they would themselves whites, or really anybody else society holds in higher esteem?

Please know that this is not against you personally, just trying to ask a question; share observations. If you do not agree, please explain why.

There are two groups of Latinos. First we should all know that a Latino is a combination of the African Moor who was exiled out of Spain in1503. Then there are the native Tainos and the white Spanaird conquerer. Those who relate to the mother base of the Taino and the African are those who understand and acknowledge their link to us.

Those who came out looking basically white with blue eyes have a tendancy to relate to the father or conquerer side which is Spain. Spanish therefor becomes their over all language because it is the language of the conquerer. However, those who have done any studying acknowledge their African and Taino roots and as such, give no credance to the conquerers side or the Spain side of the equation.

The end result is the two groups that exist and who must decide who there are and who they relate and aliegn themselves with in the face of world existence. There are so many dark Cubans in Cuba that they got two flags there.

Keita said:
There are two groups of Latinos. First we should all know that a Latino is a combination of the African Moor who was exiled out of Spain in1503. Then there are the native Tainos and the white Spanaird conquerer. Those who relate to the mother base of the Taino and the African are those who understand and acknowledge their link to us.

Those who came out looking basically white with blue eyes have a tendancy to relate to the father or conquerer side which is Spain. Spanish therefor becomes their over all language because it is the language of the conquerer. However, those who have done any studying acknowledge their African and Taino roots and as such, give no credance to the conquerers side or the Spain side of the equation.

The end result is the two groups that exist and who must decide who there are and who they relate and aliegn themselves with in the face of world existence. There are so many dark Cubans in Cuba that they got two flags there.

True indeed, Keita

The Caucasian-looking ones who are blonde/blue have a right to call themselves Caucasian, if the recessive dominated the dominant, so be it. I only have a problem when the Morenos have the nerves to deny any Africanness, cuz they have "good" hair, and speak Spanish. My father is a Zamba(Native Navajo/Black), and my mother predominately african(1/4 Taino), would I ever think of disowning my Black heritage #ell no! Also the Amerindians had sprinklings of West African blood way before the Moors even hit the shores. Blacks were chased all over the planet, this was the true story behind witch hunts: notice how witches are known to have large noses, odd skin color, and always draped in Black, same description as Black people. These witch hunts happened after the Moors were chased from Europe, and was seen as a final ethnic cleansing. Evidence: Olmec civilization, and Negroid statuettes found throughout the world, and pyramids all over central America, which are African in origin. If many Latinos recognized this fact, there would be no Brown vs. Black, we could collectively ban together and stop this divide&conquer among us. Believe it's being waged as I type by you-know-who...I'm not posting from an inferior stance, but, I'm tired of walking out my front door, and have to stare down a Latino before interaction. Let alone stuck-up Whites. One could go on&on, but we can neveer change the mind of those stuck in their ways. It was a German philosopher (Blumenbach) in the 17th century who began separating/classifying people by features, in this modern day. God Bless our souls.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back