Pan Africanism : Latino or Hispanic is it classified as ones Race or Culture???

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by IntuitioninMD, Dec 11, 2004.

1. IntuitioninMD

IntuitioninMD Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    :grouphug: I have noticed over and over that the statistics for Black people are being compared to Latino and Hispanic people. When you create a statistic - I believe for the statistic to be valid that like things are suppose to be compared.

So.. I would like to know how the Destee Community feels about this topic.

Do you think that Latino or Hispanic is a person's race or culture?

I will provide more feedback after some members had a chance to reply.

2. indya

indya Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +23

I think Latino is a culture, not a race. A latino can be white, brown, black or a mixture of the three.

I've met some white and brown mexicans and dominicans both identified themselves as hispanic.

3. Moo moo

Moo moo Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    We are a culture. Self-defined. Hispanic is what your "white Americans" want to call us...... but we are "Latino" and of the "Americas"

From the "White" perspective, you have been segregated as "Black" (though many other nations had slavery of Africans as well) and in 2004 that mentality persists.

4. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

When you say "you have been segregated as Black" this is a very misguided quote. All former slave colonies segregated black people from whites and mulattoes. Without exception. You need to chill with the them(black americans) vs Us

5. Moo moo

Ratings:
    +2
    as I have said..... "(though many other nations had slavery of Africans as well)"

6. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

they sure did, and they were designated as black and seperated from whites

7. IntuitioninMD

IntuitioninMD Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    US Census

Moo Moo, if you are your parents are US Citizens, what did you all check for your race on the United States Census?

8. Moo moo

Ratings:
    +2
    I'm not a citizen of your nation and I am 61 years old. :)

9. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    This is a cultural and racial chess game designed by white imperialist

First of all, Blacks or African Americans and Latinos or Hispanics are both culturally based and designated groups created by conditions and causalities. Race, is in general, a created construct, but an effective construct, mainly for systemic and institutional racism, and was basically designed to quantify “whiteness”, all the while, dissolving any functional commonalities of others (in other words divide and conqueror the “so-called non-whites”).

Only with “people of color” do language, ancestry, complexion, geographical location and customs consistently take on some sort of legitimate overriding divisiveness. The statistical analysis of the census in America is not concerned if you are of Swedish, Irish or Italian ancestry or do you speak Gaelic, German or Russian. The category of white has encompassed a multitude of languages, tribes, cultures, customs and ethnicities. It is only the plantation and colonized mentality of “so-called” Blacks and Browns that has embraced the white separatist balkanization of “non-whites”; and when we (people of color) try to find common cultural or political ground, we ourselves invoke our arcane cultural differences.

We have become lap dogs to individual European cultural paradigms and colonization, and when the gate is left open we refuse to run free.

Ashe,

Brother Sun Ship

10. RunawaySlave

RunawaySlave Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for providing precise analysis of the question and adjoining comments.