Black People : Gay Rights

define

REGISTERED MEMBER
Aug 13, 2004
America has a history of discriminating against those who differ from the majority. It wasn’t that long ago when Blacks weren’t allowed to eat in the same restaurants as Whites and women weren’t granted the right to elect government leaders. During World War II, innocent Japanese-Americans were sent to prison camps as a result of Pearl Harbor. Looking back at these past injustices, it seems ridiculous that these minorities were discriminated against. Today there is a new group that American society is discriminating against—gays. The most recent issue is that of gay marriage. An amendment to ban gay marriage has been proposed and is in the works of being passed as a law. Yet again America is proving again to be a prejudice nation. And also yet again, there is no logic behind the discrimination of the modern, social outcasts known as the gay community.

I often hear the notion that gay marriages are “immoral.” Who’s to say what is and isn’t immoral? Not all religions state that gays are morally wrong. Divisions of the Buddhism support gay relationships, thus a ban on gay marriage would infringe on freedom of religion. Yes, a majority of Americans are Christians, and parts of the Bible state that same sex relationships are wrong, but what about the part where it says accept and “love thy neighbors” no matter what their differences are? Moreover, why is the United States following the guidelines of the Bible anyways? Isn’t their supposed to be a separation between “church and state”?

I’ve heard my freshmen basketball coach say that two men kissing in public are “nasty” and shouldn’t be legal. Well just because a homosexual sees a heterosexual kissing in a public place, should the government pass a bill banning such a lifestyle? A common argument is that gay relationships are “unnatural.” However, according to http://www.bidstrup.com/sodomy.htm, about 1500 animal species were studied and over 450 of those species had homosexual behavior. If gay relationships are common throughout nature how can they be “unnatural”?
Does anyone else find it ironic that in Georgia an adult can marry a sixteen-year-old with parental consent, but two adults of the same sex are frown upon when wanting to wed? It is ridiculous that children can be granted liberties to marry who they choose to, yet some politicians want to make it illegal for adults to “sanctify” their relationships.

One may say, “Marriage is for reproducing children.” Of course two people of the same sex cannot produce children, but there are also other couples who can’t either. Such couple could consist of a family with an impotent man or a woman with her “tubes tied”. Of course there aren’t laws prohibiting such a couple of marrying, so it would be prejudice to ban two people of the same sex to marry because they can’t reproduce children. Furthermore, is it so horrible that gay couples would be unable to produce children in an already overpopulated world?

In addition, homosexual couples can always adopt children. This then produces another argument: same sex marriages cannot provide adequate parenting because the children would either lack a mother or father figure. However, there are plenty of single-parent homes that produce children beneficial to society, so why can’t a same sex parented family do the same?

Instead of waiting for a fifty year period to look back at these events of blatant bigotry, the American people need to see the foolishness in hating gays now! Homosexuals pay taxes and work just as hard as any other American citizens, so the government has no right to deprive them of their constitutional rights. It is up to the American people to fight against such inequality. The tyrannical majority can only be defeated if Americans can recognize that denying people their right to wed because of sexual preference is absurd and has no logic behind it.

What ever happend

What ever happen to letting one be them selves? We beg for freedom everyday but yet stated in the constitution, we are givin the right to express
ourselves. I think people should just let gay people be happy with themselves, let them live their lives they only have one life to live and who are we to decide what they should do. This is childish, Im pretty sure no one is tieing anyone of you down telling you who you can like who you can marry or anything of that sort. Let gays, live their lives, its only fair.

Define, please do not bring your homosexual agenda to this forum. You're trying to link the struggle for the right to marriage of homosexual to that which Black people face in this country. Uh uh, that ain't gonna fly here! The current attempts by gays in the media to somehow equate the discrimination, which they face in not being able to marry due to their life style, to that of 260 years of slavery (in northern America) and 100 years of segregation is a joke! The gay marriage question has to do with the preservation of the very fabric of society itself—the family—and not of the rights of homosexuals to exist. This was not the case for Black people world wide. Caucasians seriously questioned and debated (and still do) our right to live on this world as human beings. I feel it is an insult to Black people for anyone to even mention (or in your case hint at) the homosexual cause with the Civil Rights movement in the same sentence. And NO, we WON'T "embrace" your cause, nor will we try and build a "coalition" with the gay rights movement! Thanx.

I would have to agree with brother Chukwuemeka. There certainly isn't a history of discrimination against homosexuals in America. Historically the only "right" denied to homosexuals was a refusal to have their partners included in their medical benefits, and the inability to join the military. This right is no longer refused because many states now recognize domestic partnerships; and the army has a don't ask, don't tell rule (which was an option available to them anyway). Besides this homosexuals have lived and been subject to the rights, benefits, and lifestyle of their race.

Indeed the recently revelation of New Jersey's governor Jim McGreevey displays how little difficulty homosexuals (particularly white homosexuals) have in American society: He attended private all boys Catholic Schools (of whom many students were openly gay, and McGreevey himself was known to be very "liberal" on the topic). He attended Ivy League schools: Columbia University, Harvard, and obtained a law degree from Georgetown. He had a career in politics, and became the governor of New Jersey (one of the most powerful states in the country) at the extremely young age of 44. I might also add that he signed one of the country's strongest domestic partnership laws. McGreevey might not have been openly homosexual; however, he has always been in the company of homosexuals, and extremely gay friendly. This did not hurt his career or limit his progress because despite his sexuality Jim McGreevey was (and remains).....A WHITE MAN!!!

McGreevey's statement that, "I am a Gay-American" like that makes him something other than a white man, is so ridiculous it is comical! As it is with McGreevey, so is it for every other homosexual. I don't support discriminating against any other people, but I have yet to be convinced that homosexuals are being discriminated against in society. They might be called nasty names, but so are many people. Show me that people don't get jobs because they are homosexual...denied medical care because of the same...are served in restaurants or hotels because of their sexuality...victims of police brutuality because of their sexual preferences, etc. The only right being denied homosexuals is the right for marriage. Well that isn't an important enough issue, for me to want to include them in the Black Civil Rights struggle.

First and for most, I agree with Smuf.

Secondly, this is directed towards Chuk. Please, do not tell me what I can and cannot bring to the forum. This is a forum where we have political discussion, not withhold opinion. And, the whole point of the article seemed to blow right over your head. You got caught in my America discriminates rather then paying attention to the heart of the article. By no ways am I comparing the degrees of discrimination between Blacks and gays. Don't put words in my mouth. I was pointing out American history.

Thirdly, to Pan. You cannot say that just because one gay person was successful, which you admit in keeping his preference a secret, that makes it easy for all gays. Gays get fired all the time because they admit their sexual preference. Gays are victims of hate crimes, so have even gotten killed because of their sexual preference. And for anyone to deny the fact that they have been is absurd. And! Who's asking you to include it in the Blacks Civil Rights struggle? Did I ask that? I'm confused. I thought the title of this was "Gay Rights" not "Black Activist need to push for Gay Rights" Peaces

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back