Black People : Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender: Demand for Civil Rights & Equal Opportunity

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by NNQueen, Mar 15, 2003.

1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    There's a growing political movement spreading in America led by and on behalf of people with a different sexual orientation than heterosexuals. No longer are the categories confined to gay men and lesbian women either. There are now considerations being given to bi-sexuals and transgender as well. Together, they have formed organizations around the country in the name of LGBT.

Although the private sector is slower to provide protection by assigning them the same civil rights as everyone else in this country, colleges and universities are becoming more relaxed in their view by implementing policies and procedures that prohibit unlawful forms of discrimination against people on the basis of their sexual orientation. This has been a growing trend for the past 20 years.

Now the growing debate at these institutions is whether to offfer members of the LGBT community same-sex partner benefits. What this does is recognizes relationships between same-sex partners the same as heterosexual couples. Members of LGBT not only have the right not to be discriminated against, but also the right to live together in university housing, receive the same benefits as legally married couples, etc. Some universities have already granted these privileges, others are in the midst of debating whether to do the same.

This is a movement being led by younger, more radical group of LGBT. As a result of this type of protection and social freedom, more and more are "coming out" and a great many are Black men and women. They are professionals, staff support and students and student-athletes. They are organized and have a clear political agenda and they are successfully pushing their agenda.

Question: Do you think this growing trend will spread eventually into the larger society?

2. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    There is evidence on college campuses that there is an increase in activity among this group which says to me its a growing movement. Often, social change on a large scale is incubated and borne at our colleges and universities. Generally in higher education, policy changes tend to occur in accordance with the saying, "the squeeky wheel gets the grease." This is evident when more programs were offered for women and "minorities" over the past 25-30 years at universities.

Marches, sit-ins, protests happen more frequently at universities than society as a whole. Do your research into the history of the civil rights movement in the late 1950s and 1960s and you'll find that the participants were primarily college students. There people have protested against injustices of all kinds and change has occurred as a result. Black and women students protesting against discrimination and unequal opportunities on campus; student protests against public institutions investing in South Africa and apartheid; students with disabilities demanding their right to attend any college in the U.S. by making them more accessible and accomodating to their special needs and the latest demonstrations around affirmative action--largely by students. Washington, D.C. will be flooded with students on April 1 when the Supreme Court addresses the University of Michigan case.

Change doesn't always occur naturally out of the goodness of people's heart. Regardless of how you think people in general might feel, appalled or not, the numbers and the voices of the LGBT community apparently are growing and becoming loudly sufficient to grab the attention of governing boards across the country.

So my question remains, do you think this is a movement that will have an impact on our larger society such that federal and state civil rights laws will include LGBT?

3. A007

A007 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +115
    I do believe this trend will spread to main stream society. I think so because people are afraid to stand up for what they feel is right for fear of litigaion. I for one don't believe that it is right to be in a same sex relationship. The bible says it is wrong..therefore it is wrong. To allow the LGBT to succeed in their agenda to be recognized in the same manner as heterosexual marriages is equivilent to condoning other actions that undermine marriages...adultery for example. Is it going to be ok for adulterers to get together and say that it is unconstitional for them to lose equity in divorces? Where does it stop. Homosexuality threatens our very existence. How can it be OK? Does it mean that homosexuals are inherently evil? Probably not. Should they be mistreated or denied basic human rights because they choose to be wrong and sin? NO. But...should we CONDONE and honor their actions the same as we do heterosexual marriges simply because they become large in number and organized in purpose? Hell no!!! We should stand up as men and women and continue to say it is wrong just as we still say adultery is wrong.

4. Regina

Regina Well-Known Member MEMBER

Engineer
    Ratings:
    +2
    I agree with Kem and A007

Same-sex marriages...no...

5. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    Keme, I don't think there's any question that there will be a societal backlash as intense as there was when Blacks fought and died for their freedom in this country, pushed for their civil rights and the right to have the same opportunities as others in this society. That's the nature of a revolution...backlashes. But not all backlashes are successful in the long run as is evident by us as Blacks being where we are today. But I think that it's something that we will have to deal with eventually.

Don't be surprised that this group is larger than you realize. Not everyone of them has exposed their sexual orientation...yet. And, don't be surprised the number of them that are Black. They are our neighbors, co-workers, family members, friends and our sisters and brothers in the very churches we attend on Sunday and guess what..many of them worship the same God that we do. Heck, some are ordained ministers.

Gay couples are buying homes together and pooling other resources, they have the ability to have children and form a family unit. They can almost do anything that heterosexual couples do except be recognized in most states as legally married which doesn't give them the same benefits as a legally married couple. I do believe that there are some states already, i.e., Vermont, that do recognize such marriages already.

So, you can claim they are morally and spiritually wrong according to your beliefs but remember, not all of our politicians believe in or practice the same religion as you do AND some of them are gay as well.

6. poeticdelight

poeticdelight Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    NNQ come into the new voicechat girl

we're having fun

ya'll take a break :lol:

peace

pd

:)

7. prometheusunbou

prometheusunbou Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    well put kemetstry

8. poeticdelight

poeticdelight Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    seriously

i could speak with a gay person and tell him or her
    that it is unnatural for a man and another man vice versa
    to be together and they would agree with me that it is an
    abnormality

but as soon as I, kem, or anyone else decides to pass
    judgement on them and tell them that being gay is wrong
    then they find it unacceptable

whatever we choose to believe is fine

however, we must allow GOD instead of man to judge
    and condemn people who are gay

besides, has there ever been a MAN successful in his
    own attempt to turn a GAY woman or man str8 besides
    GOD himself? I don't think so. Let GOD do his work.

peace

poeticd

:)

9. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    And naturally, every man (and woman) who believes in God, does everything that God has told man to do, right?

10. Girlchild

Girlchild Member MEMBER

healthcare
    Ratings:
    +0
    rights

I agree with Kemestry on this. Why is gay america wants to equate their struggle with that of Black Americans? There is no equivalent.