Black People : Gay/Lesbian Marriage

NNQueen said:
Now, since Brother Pan has added another twist to this discussion by mentioning polygamy, I'd like to contribute the following information as a response, particularly in the event that some here might view polygamy in the same context as certain despicable acts against nature such as, rape, murder, molesting children, etc., which in my opinion, it is not and doesn't come close.

I don't view polygamy as a despicable act NN Queen. I view it as a respectable practice, which is perfectly logical in certain situations. However this is not seen as a respectful practice by European/American standards, and as a result is illegal. Indeed many laws in this country, and in Europe exist only because they uphold a certain "moral" standard. This moral standard is often based on the Bible or someone's interpretation of the Bible.

Laws against sodomy, and subsequently laws against homosexuality (including marriage), are also based on Biblical standards. Therefore if the call for homosexual marriage (an issue of little importance to me personally) is made in disregard of these old standards, or if these standards are to be modified to fit current times. Logic would then dictate that other practices which were deemed anti-Christian, like polygamy (which isn't anti-Christian, but has been mistakenly interpreted as such) has to be championed also. The same can be said for any other unmoral or un-Christian practice......look out!!! The flood gates are about to open!

Nita said:
I hope I'm not being too personal, but I started to pose this question several times before. Are you a christian? What religion do you believe in?
I just want to gain some insight on the root of your beliefs....In no way am I tryin to offend, God knows it's all out of Love and seeking understanding.
Peace

Sister Nita, are you at work already? :)

I'm not offended by your question of my beliefs Sister, but I am curious as to why it's important to know. Meaning no disrespect to you either but do I sound strange or odd to you somehow? Am I writing outside the "norm"?

If I gave you a name of a formal religion to attach me to, will that change your opinion of me? Will I suddenly become more easily recognizable taking on the same qualities of others who are placed in that same category? Does a religion define who I am or do my actions and treatment of others define my beliefs?

I know you are not trying to offend me Sister Nita and I know you mean no disrespect so I don't feel disrespected by your question in any way. What I believe in is people like you and people like me. Although we may be different in some ways, because we have these wonderful human spirits, I believe we are doing whatever we can to make a positive difference.

If all you want to do is know and understand me better sister, then read my words when I write because they will describe who I am better than any religion could.

Peace,
Queenie :heart: :spinstar:

panafrica said:
I don't view polygamy as a despicable act NN Queen. I view it as a respectable practice, which is perfectly logical in certain situations. However this is not seen as a respectful practice by European/American standards, and as a result is illegal. Indeed many laws in this country, and in Europe exist only because they uphold a certain "moral" standard. This moral standard is often based on the Bible or someone's interpretation of the Bible.

Laws against sodomy, and subsequently laws against homosexuality (including marriage), are also based on Biblical standards. Therefore if the call for homosexual marriage (an issue of little importance to me personally) is made in disregard of these old standards, or if these standards are to be modified to fit current times. Logic would then dictate that other practices which were deemed anti-Christian, like polygamy (which isn't anti-Christian, but has been mistakenly interpreted as such) has to be championed also. The same can be said for any other unmoral or un-Christian practice......look out!!! The flood gates are about to open!

Brother Pan, I agree! The historical context in which you wrote is deep and challenging for many of us. Ahhhh, you speak of logic, suggesting that it be applied to one's religious beliefs. Interesting and most complex concept. Don't you think that logic and religious philosophies often find themselves on opposite ends of a continuum, impossible to meet? Either you turn your mind over to believe something that someone else wrote or you free your mind to think for itself. If you believe what someone else tells you without having anything to compare it to or a personal experience of your own, then how do you know it's your belief and not just someone else's that you've adopted as your own? Some people who practice certain religions believe that homosexuality is a sin. Do they also believe that polygamy is a sin or simply illegal?

Queenie :spinstar:

I think that in general religion is a set of rules & moral standards upon which people are expected to live their lives, and without rules there would be anarchy. Everyone has a moral base, whether it be centered on Christianity, Islam, Buddism,Yoruba, etc. If a person takes their values (their sense of right & wrong) from this moral base, then they should follow it. Picking & choosing which rules fit their particular lifestyle, is hypocritical.

If I'm not mistaken, most homosexuals in this country are white?Indeed White gays and lesbians. The issue of letting gays marry is basically a war concerning white privilage. If the larger issue is to provide gays with human and civil rights, I say let the rich and influential white gay males...like David Geffen lobby congress. Afterall they have the most gain.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back