Black People : 'White people are less likely to be gay': Poll reveals African-American community has highest percen

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by RAPTOR, Jun 28, 2015.

1. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
  2. IntuitioninMD_2

IntuitioninMD_2 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +58
    This is funny. I will take a closer look at study. People should talk more about child sexual abuse. There are so many people that are part of the LGBT community and the heterosexual community that have been sexually abused. In so many cases this abuse have led them to chose a life as an LGBT person. Many of them deny this. There should be a study about the long term effects of child sexual abuse.

There also should be a national initiative about making people acknowledge that they are choosing their sexual orientation. It is not genetic.

Finally, surgeries for people to try to change their sex ( gender) should be illegal, because it is not possible to change your gender. So many people role play (act) out what they perceive to be true about men or women. This is on insult to people that are born males and females. But, more importantly it encourages a life in believing a delusion. I am for civil unions and against same sex marriage. It should be illegal for people that choose to be LGBT to sexually harass straight people. At the end of the day, most people probably do not want to know what people are doing in their bedrooms, however child sexual abuse and harassment needs to stop.

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
  4. KMeister

KMeister Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +242
    Very interesting. I would think intuitively there would be no differences between racial group, but assuming this report reflects the truth, it begs the question why a slightly larger percent of African Americans identify as gay or lesbian more so than other racial groups. It might be that for whatever reason blacks just are gay/lesbian more than any other group--just like having nonstraight hair. However, it might be that whites who are gay and lesbian are more in denial about it than others. Just throwing out a wild guess.

5. KMeister

KMeister Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +242
    I've never heard of any research purporting that sexual abuse positively correlates with being LGBT. On what do you base this assertion?

I disagree with this one. I don't believe sexual orientation is a choice. I'm hetrosexual. It's what I am. People who I know who are gay or lesbian tell me they've virtually always felt this way, dating back to when they were children. That's not the same as individuals who choose to be in a homosexual relationship although they are straight. My admittedly limited understanding is such people do not identify themselves as gay. It's a bit of an oxy-moron: They're in a same-sex relationship but see themselves as primarily straight.

I'm not sure what you mean by "It should be illegal for people that choose to be LGBT to sexually harass straight people." How do LGBT people harass straight people.?

6. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,128

Over 75% of gays admit to being molested a/o abused as children.

There is no gay gene. Thus you your and their beliefs ( elevating it to a religion ) is not supported by the facts. And before you go there, Google gay gene.

They do it all the time. Just like hetero.s make moves on married people.

7. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,128
    The poll flies in the face of obvious facts. HIV in America largely a white gay disease. Still.

I submit that it may be more likely that black people are more brave

8. KMeister

KMeister Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +242
    Now you've done it. You cited a statistic. I'm not aware of any credible research that reports this. Please share the source of this stat you offered.
    I never wrote there is a gay gene. I suggested that being gay or straight is not a choice but...just is...along the spectrum of sexual orientation with which we are born. I contend most of us are born straight. A few are born gay. Another few are born bi-.
    But you wrote: "It should be illegal for people that choose to be LGBT to sexually harass straight people." How do LGBT people harass straight people? I don't understand your position. Someone who "makes moves" isn't the same thing as someone "harassing." Are you saying it should be illegal for LBGTs to harass straight people and for straight people to harass married people? Are you saying it should be illegal for LBGTs to make moves on straight people and for straight people to make moves on married people? Please clarify your position.

9. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,128

Yet there is. I forget the name of the book, something about Butterflies. The author did the talk shows a few years ago.

You wrote your "belief", thus raising to the level of religion. I brought up genetics to raise it to the level of science and provable. Therefore, not being natural, it is a choice. Because most gays will admit there is no bisexual or transgender gene

I don't know too many str8 people that want to be hit on by someone from the lgbta community.

10. KMeister

KMeister Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +242
    Not exactly a strong reference. I did some searching and the information breaks down to advocacy groups being on opposite sides of this issue. Conservative groups that believe homosexuality is a sin and oppose same-sex marriage support the charge that a substantial number of gays report being abused as children. Groups that believe homosexuals are born that way and support same-sex marriage state there is no relationship between childhood abuse and later homosexual identity.

But even among the conservative group there appears to be some problems with their position. One is that their claims are significantly weakened when a closer look into the data shows it's not that 75% of gays report having been sexually abused as children but 75% of gay men report having had their first homosexual encounter prior to the age of 16. It is important to note that these sexual encounters are often with peers, thus not falling under the rubric of childhood abuse, or with legal adults who are not that much older than they (for exampe, the 18 year old and 15 year old). Also, there appears to be total agreement that the link between childhood abuse and homosexuality does not hold up for females at all.
    http://www.citizenlink.com/2010/06/17/childhood-sexual-abuse-and-male-homosexuality/
    http://www.pandys.org/articles/abuseandhomosexuality.html

One 2002 study did indicate that 35% of men identifying themselves as gay or bi-sexual reported having been sexually abused as children.
    https://login.yahoo.com/config/login_verify2?&.src=ym

Your 75% claim clearly does not add up.

I'm not sure what your point is. That most gays will admit there is no bi-sexual or transgender gene doesn't mean gays, bi-sexual and transgender people aren't born that way.

Me either. That doesn't mean such overtures should be illegal, as you suggested. A gay man ask to buy a straight man a drink, so the latter calls the cops and has former arrested. Sounds like something out of the 1950s.