Black People : Gay/Lesbian Marriage

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by AfroBoricuaRoni, Apr 1, 2004.

1. AfroBoricuaRoni

AfroBoricuaRoni Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm writing a paper in support of gay/lesbian marriage and would like to ask what are your opinions on it and do you think it should be allowed; yes, no or don't know/care.

Thanks a bunch! :luvv:

-Roni

2. Captain Ray

Captain Ray Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ferryman
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally, I think it is a bad idea. I live in Oregon, and the battle for Gay marriage is being waged in Mutlnomah County...

To me it is an affront to everything that I think is sensible. Gay people can love whomever they wish, but marriage?? Is the mother of three, the wife and lover of her husband the same as some guy who has sex with another guy?

Not to me... but I don't get to decide.. the County Commisioners get to decide all on there own...

Raymond

3. the_story

the_story Well-Known Member MEMBER

n/a
    Ratings:
    +1
    if God wanted woman and woman and man and man to have sex than they would have made us like that...nature won't allow it anyway...it's not suppose to be...now don't get me wrong...i don't hate homosexuals i just don't accept their lifestyles...thas jus my opinion...
    :heart:
    -story

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Hello Sister AfroBoricuaRoni ... it often amazes me, how some of us ... Black Folk ... who have historically been treated less than a human, less than an animal, no rights, no voice, no anything ... so easily do to others what was/is done to us.

All adults should have the right to make personal choices for their own lives. Certainly one as personal as, who they marry. It is a decision that has absolutely nothing to do with me.

If there is some Spiritual consequence to pay, that is theirs to do. I have my own.

Yes ... let them marry if they want to marry.

:heart:

Deste

5. Joker

Joker Active Member MEMBER

Ceo of illdelph records
    Ratings:
    +0
    My great great grandfather was lynched for marrying a white woman so as an african american i can not deny anyones civil rights and as a lesbian that is all i am asking for civil rights no should be denied there civil rights for any reason

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."- declaration of independence

we is our happiness

6. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    To each his own. The Institution of Marriage is a fraud anyway. If Gays want to marry whooptie do. I think it just creates more money for wedding planners so at least we are creating more jobs.

Just my thoughts.

7. Nita

Nita Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    youth volunteer
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well,

All have voiced some good points but my opinon of this matter is very simple.
    I believe that when God created man and woman, that was how he wanted it to be....I mean read your Bible. The question of if gay and lesbian should marry, I personally think they should not because again, this is a bond God made for woman and man and by all means I fell that should ALWAYS remain be kept HOLY. I think a person has the right to chose who he or she wants to be with because they are the ones who have to answer for their actions on their day before God.
    I am not trying to say that gay/lesbians should not have rights and should not be treated fairly because as a people I know we were denied rights and treated unjustly...still are denied and treated unjustly in many things. Those unjustices , were wrong. Thoses actions were done by people to other people as a form of opression. Taking rights away from men and women trying to be Men and Women which I think is totally different that men and men and women and women trying to live like woman and man....again, the order.
    So yes gay/lesbians should have rights, I just feel not in marriage, again I just think things should be kept in the natural order.
    This subject so hard to discuss without offending people one way or another.
    I was asked for my opinion so here it is.

8. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    UUMN...

I think that Gays and Lesbians should have all the rights and protections of what we call marriage. Marriage in America is a farce and if I was a lesbian, I wouldn't want to call my union that. But then again, you all know I don't think like many here.

African-Americans have a problem with the issue stictly and mainly from a biblical standpoint. The arguments tying it to Our civil rights struggles are sound. To be brief, it is fact: We wanted inclusions in the defined rights and not to changed them. We still live in a country that was based upon judo-christian philosophy ( I know that We can dismantle that as hypocrisy); and within the realms of this philosophy that the laws come from, Marriage is between a man and a woman.

Anyway, why do We continue to let others come to Us in their struggles? How many gays and lesbians (whites and others) are on the front lines in Our continuing battles. To be honest, whether or not they get "Marriage" I don't care, and don't ask Us-- want it fight and whatever happens, happens.
    African-American gays and lesbians need to come into the fold anyway, We need you and you need Us.

Good Luck and Peace.

9. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Brother Manasia C and Sister Happy, your perspectives fall outside the "norm" and are necessary to our continuing discussion of issues that African Americans/Blacks address.

At what point will we begin to focus more on the things that are crucial to us as a people and less on who is sleeping with and loving whom? Why do some of our very own people want to ostracize and disenfranchise those among us who don't subscribe to what is proported as "traditional" views about marriage? Religious dogma is a powerful tool and is the root cause for some people thinking they are better than others and have rights and privileges that others shouldn't have.

In the end, when it's all said and done, we may find that we need each other more than we realize.

Peace,
    Queenie :spinstar:

10. Nita

Nita Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    youth volunteer
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hmmmmn

I was just wondering why shouldn't we keep the unity of marriage the way it was meant to be???
    Why should we forget all about DIVINE order to suit the lifestyles of this world???

I know my views came from a biblical perspective, but aren't the laws of the our creator the ones that will only stand in the end???

Yes we all need each other. I feel it is up to us to help uplift and help each other. I think we tend to let our fellow man make choices we know are not sound, but as long as it does not affect us directly in our own lifestyles and everyday functions we are fine with that which is so sad to me because anytime you have a chance to witness or to share wisdom with someone, I believe you should. I don't believe God placed us here to watch our fellow man go down the wrong path. I think although we can't be responsible for the decisions our fellow man makes. We can be there to support them, trying to guide them in the right direction, and not sitting back and letting them destroy themselves...(I'm not just talking gay/lesbian..but murderers and thieves, and adulterers..and so on) We have to stop just lQQking out for our own. Reconnect with man even if you may be laughed at, called a hypocrite, or even killed...I mean, the bible does say no greater man than this that lay down his life for his fellow man? I know many of our white/black/other brothers and sister are fighting on the front line for us every day. That's why I continue pray for their safety, as well as new leadership.
    Really, I wish this whole topic was NOT an issue, but I do however believe it is very important because of it's nature. The media is doing unspeakable damage as well. I just don't want my children growing up in all the confusion, mislead by main stream media and the worlds' distorted views.