Benin : Benin's Voodoo Children

Benin's Voodoo Children

Benin is the home of Voodoo. The ancient animist belief was taken by slaves from this tiny West African state to Haiti and New Orleans. Benin is the only country in the world that officially recognises Voodoo as a state religion, affording it the same national status as Christianity or Islam.

But, as Unreported World reveals, Voodoo is trapping thousands in poverty and causing some families to sell their children in to slavery. Seen by its adherents as traditional belief that connects them to their land, culture and ancestors, Voodoo is a complex set of beliefs and obligations that, it is claimed, has helped enforce religious and social order for more than 4,000 years. However, as reporter Evan Williams and director James Brabazon discover, it is frequently perpetuated by threats, fear and even the kidnapping of young children.

Their journey takes them to Abomey, the ancient capital of the Kingdom of Dahomey and a traditional centre for Voodoo worship. Here they discover that children as young as two have been identified by priests as the next generation to be initiated into secret religious rites.

Many are forced into so-called Voodoo Convents for expensive initiation ceremonies fuelled by animal sacrifices, and their impoverished parents must pay if they are ever to see their children again.

Watch here;

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Alexandra

Propaganda at best.

I hope no one actually believes this non-sense being reported by White folks.

Such a broad, general statement is not helpful KSeed. Now aside the fact that it was covered by Caucasians; what exactly about this content has led you to dimiss it is as nonsense? I propose the same question to Smallady, only this time, I ask for proof of propaganda.

Thank ye all.

Alexandra

Such a broad, general statement is not helpful KSeed. Now aside the fact that it was covered by Caucasians; what exactly about this content has led you to dimiss it is as nonsense? I propose the same question to Smallady, only this time, I ask for proof of propaganda.

Thank ye all.

Alexandra
Well let's start with the LIE that children are being TAKEN from their parents.

The priest(s) don't steal children from their parents. Its actually he other way around. The parents take the children to priest(s). Priests have enough responsibilities, why would they want to add to that by doing something that can get them killed?

On top of propagating the above lie, it is being reported by a people who have no love for Africans.

Thank ye all.

Alexandra

I was wondering the same thing. Its as if African cultural people can't be corrupted. I haven't been to the place in question, and i can't say i know anyone from there who can tell me other wise. I wouldn't totally dismiss it as hearsay without the proof to back it up.

I'm thinking it would be awful if those families are sincerely crying out for help and people are totally dismissing it as lies.

One thing i can say about this is, it appears those people who sought out the help of the priest/priestess did know what they were up against. So i wouldn't call them victims. But for the ones whom children were snatched from them, its very alarming.

Is there any sure way, outside of being there physically, we can verify the authencity of these allegations?

:heart:

I was wondering the same thing. Its as if African cultural people can't be corrupted. I haven't been to the place in question, and i can't say i know anyone from there who can tell me other wise. I wouldn't totally dismiss it as hearsay without the proof to back it up.

I'm thinking it would be awful if those families are sincerely crying out for help and people are totally dismissing it as lies.

One thing i can say about this is, it appears those people who sought out the help of the priest/priestess did know what they were up against. So i wouldn't call them victims. But for the ones whom children were snatched from them, its very alarming.

Is there any sure way, outside of being there physically, we can verify the authencity of these allegations?

:heart:

Peace!

I agree. We need to be on the ground before we can make any true assessment. I have heard these accusations before which is disheartening because of my own affiliations to the Vodu. Lest we make any judgment in haste without all the information and the facts.

Blacc / byrd

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back