Black People : Affirmative Action

This is why we must begin to really push ourselves... we must save our institutions.... as well we show who we are by becoming the standard in other universities...

They are still trying to get Blacks out of jobs... whether or not they are well-to-do or not.

We have to prepare ourselves... I felt that some kind of compromise decision was coming down.... but it wasn't as "bad" as I felt.... but this should be all that we need, so that the roughly 90% of our 34 million people should come together...

This is a nice little slap in our faces that should say, Negro love yourself! We have to start doing as much in the Black as possible... many of those who have been able to succeed and really care about our community becoming whole... like Earl Graves are committed to us becoming self-sustaining....

I don't know, maybe we have to start over--- but I'd rather start over from where we are--- the middle--- than have to start over from the bottom again!

Court: Michigan's ban on affirmative action is unconstitutional
C:\Users\bentley\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif

By Paul Egan

Detroit Free Press Lansing Bureau

LANSING — The U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals has declared unconstitutional Michigan’s ban on affirmative action, which was approved by voters in a 2006 ballot initiative, Proposal 2.
The majority opinion in a divided court said the state ban on affirmative action violated the equal protection clause of the U.S. Constitution by making it more difficult for a minority student to get a university to adopt a race-conscious admissions policy than it is for a white student to get a university to adopt an admissions policy that considers family alumni connections.
“This is a tremendous victory for students,” said Detroit attorney George Washington, who represented the Coalition to Defend Affirmative Action in the case.
“It means that thousands of black students and Latino students will have the chance to go to college they never would have had.”
The ballot initiative was pushed by Jennifer Gratz, who was denied admission to the University of Michigan.
U-M spokesman Rick Fitzgerald said university officials were studying the decision and would comment later today.

Read more here...

Hello Regina ... thanks for this Sister. They upheld the law school admissions policy but struck down the undergraduate admissions policies.

Is one more important than the other, and if so which?

Have we lost or have we won?

:heart:

Destee

U of Ms undergraduate admissions were based purely on a quota system, which has long been illegal and never supported by the NAACP. That part was struck down. Graduate admissions were based on a vague diversity guideline. Furthermore, it was consider a privilage and not a right. Thus it was upheld. This is a very good thing

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back