Black People : Affirmative Action

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Regina, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Regina

Regina Well-Known Member MEMBER

Engineer
    Ratings:
    +2
    U.S. Supreme Court rules 5-4 to uphold University of Michigan's affirmative action policy in law school admissions.

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Hello Regina ... thanks for this Sister. They upheld the law school admissions policy but struck down the undergraduate admissions policies.

Is one more important than the other, and if so which?

Have we lost or have we won?

:heart:

Destee

3. Regina

Regina Well-Known Member MEMBER

Engineer
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think both are important. I am not sure if we have really won. It just re-emphasizes why we need to get out and vote.

They will try to keep chipping away and chipping away if we don't stay abreast of things...

4. Aqil

Aqil Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +114
    We win the big one, Destee...in that the Court ruled in favor of the University of Michigan's affirmative action plan. What is also interesting is that Clarence "Coon" Thomas once again cast a disgustingly dissenting vote. However, he wasn't the swing vote this time...Sandra Day O'Conner was...

In the second and lesser (or partial) ruling, by a 6-3 vote the Court said the point system that favored minorites used in the undergraduate school was unconstitutional. Of course Coon Thomas voted with the majority on this one...

5. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    I'm reading the material now. It will be interesting to see the impact the rulings will have at the universities around the country.

6. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    This is why we must begin to really push ourselves... we must save our institutions.... as well we show who we are by becoming the standard in other universities...

They are still trying to get Blacks out of jobs... whether or not they are well-to-do or not.

We have to prepare ourselves... I felt that some kind of compromise decision was coming down.... but it wasn't as "bad" as I felt.... but this should be all that we need, so that the roughly 90% of our 34 million people should come together...

This is a nice little slap in our faces that should say, Negro love yourself! We have to start doing as much in the Black as possible... many of those who have been able to succeed and really care about our community becoming whole... like Earl Graves are committed to us becoming self-sustaining....

I don't know, maybe we have to start over--- but I'd rather start over from where we are--- the middle--- than have to start over from the bottom again!

7. Aqil

Aqil Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +114
    ^5 happy69...

8. peplove943

peplove943 New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I think affirmative action is definetly needed. They say everyone has to be an on equal playing field, but when you have private schools compared to schools in the inner city how can you play on an equal field?

9. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Court: Michigan's ban on affirmative action is unconstitutional
    [​IMG]
    By Paul Egan

Detroit Free Press Lansing Bureau

LANSING — The U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals has declared unconstitutional Michigan’s ban on affirmative action, which was approved by voters in a 2006 ballot initiative, Proposal 2.
    The majority opinion in a divided court said the state ban on affirmative action violated the equal protection clause of the U.S. Constitution by making it more difficult for a minority student to get a university to adopt a race-conscious admissions policy than it is for a white student to get a university to adopt an admissions policy that considers family alumni connections.
    “This is a tremendous victory for students,” said Detroit attorney George Washington, who represented the Coalition to Defend Affirmative Action in the case.
    “It means that thousands of black students and Latino students will have the chance to go to college they never would have had.”
    The ballot initiative was pushed by Jennifer Gratz, who was denied admission to the University of Michigan.
    U-M spokesman Rick Fitzgerald said university officials were studying the decision and would comment later today.

Read more here...

10. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,127

U of Ms undergraduate admissions were based purely on a quota system, which has long been illegal and never supported by the NAACP. That part was struck down. Graduate admissions were based on a vague diversity guideline. Furthermore, it was consider a privilage and not a right. Thus it was upheld. This is a very good thing