Black Women : Aba Women’s Riot (The early stages of nationalist revolt against British rule)

Amnat77

REGISTERED MEMBER
Dec 11, 2006
UK..not for long
Occupation
professional.
Who needs Alice Walker?

Igbo Woman Identity:
Evoking the Ancestors of the Aba Women’s Riot

By

Chioma Oruh

n honor of Women’s History Month, it seems appropriate to recognize the struggle of the Aba Women’s Market Rebellion of 1929, also known as the Aba Women’s Riot. This rebellion was a pioneering event of movement noted in being remarkable for the ingenious organizing strategies that incorporated song and dance while at the same time was as militant as any liberation struggle before or after. The fact that it was organized by African women in times of European male colonial domination of the territory called Nigeria – one of the most lucrative colonies – is a credit to the courage and diligence it took to ensure their imprints on the pages of history. In addition to being respected for the biological role of childbirth, African women are also widely respected for their participation in agricultural production, trade and other economic pursuits for the sustainability of their communities.[1] It is with this self-awareness of their importance to the sustainability of any enterprising efforts that these women organized and decided to revolt against the imposition of taxes, as was noted in the literature in review, Riot or Rebellion

http://igbokwenu.wikispaces.com/Aba+Women+Rebellion

The Aba Women's Riots of October 1929 effectively arose out of:

* A fear that the British would tax women separately from men.
* Dissatisfaction with the low prices being offered for local produce e.g palm kernels and edible oil, while imported goods were kept at artificially high prices.
* Hatred of the Warrant Chiefs and the Native Courts because of the corruption and unfair sentences imposed.

Ten thousand women rioted and the demonstrations swept through the Owerri-Calabar districts.

A warrant chief, Chief Okugo, had been required to count the population and livestock for taxation purposes. The women sang "Ma O ghara ibu nwa beke mma anyiu egbuole Okugo rie" (If it were not for the white man we would have killed Chief Okugo and eaten him up.").

The women attacked three specific targets:

* The Native Courts
* Any European-owned factories and
* Warrant chiefs from Native Courts where sessions were in progress.

One warrant chief was pushed of his bicycle, his gun was taken away and the women chased him into the bush.

The British then decided to use force to restore law and order and many women died. This effectively ended the Warrant Chief system.

*****Note to self: Don't Mess with Calabar women!*****:whip:

http://www.ngex.com/nigeria/history/aba_womens_riot.htm

Oh yes, I remember this story well. I will teach my kids about it one day.

Big up for posting it up.

Hehe, Calabar women are in my book not more feisty than others.

Did you hear the one about Igbo slaves that killed themselves in the U.S? Believe it is called The Igbo (Ibo) Landing.

Interesting that Igbo's are known (during slavery days) for being the slaves likely to kill themselves due to being in bondage.

Makes me a bit proud, very sad and slight aversive (they should've stayed alive and used their life to kill some of the wicked people instead of resigning, although it is very understandable - the said option would have yielded the best result).

One,

- Ikoro

Did you hear the one about Igbo slaves that killed themselves in the U.S? Believe it is called The Igbo (Ibo) Landing.

Interesting that Igbo's are known (during slavery days) for being the slaves likely to kill themselves due to being in bondage.

Makes me a bit proud, very sad and slight aversive (they should've stayed alive and used their life to kill some of the wicked people instead of resigning, although it is very understandable - the said option would have yielded the best result).

One,

- Ikoro
What would happen in Nigeriabow if sistrs united and did the same thing today?

One,

- Ikoro

Hehehe, I also read that an enslaved Igbo poisoned President James Madison's paternal grandfather in 1732.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back