Black Women : ‘You just need to be white to win’: Thai cosmetics company pulls blackface ad

Liberty

BANNED
Aug 28, 2015
BANGKOK (AP) — “You just need to be white to win.”

A skin-whitening ad in Thailand featuring that slogan alongside a famous actress in blackface makeup sparked such outrage that the company pulled it Friday, just a day after releasing it. The retraction did little, however, to stem a debate the ad ignited about the regularity of racist advertisements in the Southeast Asian country.

The
online video campaign for a new product called “Snowz” starred porcelain-skinned Thai movie star Cris Horwang. In the ad, she talks about being an aging actress in a competitive industry as gentle piano music plays in the background.

“If I stopped looking after myself, everything that I have worked for — all the investment I have made to keep myself white — would disappear,” says the 35-year-old starlet. “New
stars would replace me, I would fade away.”

Read more

http://thegrio.com/2016/01/09/you-just-need-to-be-white-to-win-cosmetics-company-pulls-blackface-ad/

The reason that Asians seem to have such an obsession for white skin is that the Caucasian race is light skinned. And they have for a couple of centuries now, done well in achieving global power for their group. So most Asians buttli**s Caucasians because of it.

Had Blacks around the world worked a bit harder a couple of hundred years ago, and achieved a lot of global power, you can bet that a bunch of these other groups of people would have now been buttlic**ng us.

It’s called emulating what’s working, or what you perceive as working.

Last edited:
When I see ads like these, honestly, it does not faze me..... It makes me wonder.... Why are others looking at my skin, and saying it's not beautiful? Because it is soooo beautiful, they can't stand it. Its so beautiful, people spend their lives trying to convince us, that it is not. What makes me sad, is that some in our race, fall for these ads, and feel less than. We gotta be strong as black people and see beyond these ads. Look at how far we have come!! We dominate music, sports, politics, we are innovators, dominating TV. We have to continue to embrace our beautiful skin even if no one else will, they want to strip us of everything we are. I dont care about an ad, opinion, I know who I am I LOVE the color I am. #GodBless

When I see ads like these, honestly, it does not faze me..... It makes me wonder.... Why are others looking at my skin, and saying it's not beautiful? Because it is soooo beautiful, they can't stand it. Its so beautiful, people spend their lives trying to convince us, that it is not. What makes me sad, is that some in our race, fall for these ads, and feel less than. We gotta be strong as black people and see beyond these ads. Look at how far we have come!! We dominate music, sports, politics, we are innovators, dominating TV. We have to continue to embrace our beautiful skin even if no one else will, they want to strip us of everything we are. I dont care about an ad, opinion, I know who I am I LOVE the color I am. #GodBless
Well said. Also, that Asians are worshipping white skin is pathetic, it only shows their insecurity about themselves. Asians have their own image and identifiable features, like all groups.
I see that it's your first post, welcome.:toast:

Well said. Also, that Asians are worshipping white skin is pathetic, it only shows their insecurity about themselves. Asians have their own image and identifiable features, like all groups.
I see that its your first post, welcome.:toast:

Thank you!!! and yes I agree with you. We are all look different, have different features. We should accept that and embrace it. These Asians trying to be white is beyond me lol. I love skin tones, different features of all races. I never wanted to be light skinned to be pretty. Its very sad to see how one race can make all races feel as though they are the scum of the earth. smh.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back