Black People Politics : What has Obama offered or promised the Black community?

Zulile said:
The day Mandela was released from prison - it didnt change anything tangible at that moment - but it had tremdous effect on the spirit of the nation. All that spills over and is built on.
Mandela gave up 26 years of his life, spent it doing hard labor in Robben Island, for working _outside_, not _within_, his country's corrupt government. A lot of White Folks, including our current VP, said he was a "terrorist" at the time.

Back in 2002, Obama gave a speech, with Jesse Jackson present, where he expressed the wiilingness to pick up arms himself to fight "terrorists". And, in a a Chicago Tribune interview back in 2004, he expressed support for bombing Iran and Pakistan. It is difficult for me to think of him as a candidate for change knowing what he has said in the past when he wasn't running for POTUS.

Being an informed black man, I know who the _real_ terrorists are in our world. Obama, apparently, does not.

I am not saying Obama is a "bad" man. I am saying he is a "good" American, and all the deadheadedness that goes along with that.

Obama is no Nelson Mandela. Nelson Mandela worked _outside_ a wicked system, changed it, and then made it his own -- something better. Obama seeks to work _inside_ a wicked system. Obama seeks to become President of the most war-mongering nation in modern history.

You CANNOT change a wicked system from _within_ it. Jesus, Mandela, King, Sisulu, Malcolm --- they all understood this.

Natinr said:
I leave this open for disussion

It really doesn't matter what he promises/promised.
As all politicians do, his promises will go unfulfilled. He'll say that he was misquoted, misunderstood and over-optimistic, then politely proceed to break them. He will do no less than every other politician before him has done; say whatever is necessary to get into office.
After that he will soon discover the truth, that he is a still a Blackman. And like many of us already know, no matter what position, stature or prominence a Black holds in this country, we are still referred to by that awful "N" word.

case in point ;)

The below says much! :dance: change is in the air...

MenNefer said:
I was on the elevator in China town and some chinese men and women were glancing at me and I heard one of them speak in their language and then mention the name Obama.....not Kobe ...not Jordan..or Denzel:spinn: . Whether we like it or not ...Images have the uncanny capacity to shape concepts..ideas ..values...behavior ....let us marinate on the possibilities and put some fire :blob fire: behind that.

Natinr said:
It doesn't have to be a long list!
just somethng!

ANYONE?????:qqb010:
how about this,if we CARE so much about this blackman being president and should he actually WIN then we as black americans[yes folks thats what we are believe it or not]should strive to not embarass ourselves as a people if for no other reason than to prove to OURSELVES that we can pull together and have unity amongst ourselves[put down those fortys-get into drug rehab-close some liquor stores]now i know that it's a tall order,but you wanted something and think about this black people,should obama win there may be a time when he ACTUALLY DOES go before congress to get something pushed for us,do you thing that they're gonna pay him ANY MIND if we're still cutting up,if we believe that this man can effect ANY CHANGE then we gotta help him don't we?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back