Black People : What Cultural Rituals do black people need to create? (brainstorming session)

that is why Kwanzaa was created and translated from the precepts of Julius Nyere, by Ron Karenga

And Kwanzaa is an excellent example of a set of principles being animated into a ritual.. but Kwanzaa already exists.. Brainstorming is about NEW ideas.. New ideas from the people here at Destee.com...
One of the cancers that exist between generations is that the older generation often takes offense to the younger generation attempting to improve on what the older generation has done.. This thread is about getting folks to think about the role that ritual plays in the communication of values.. and thats not something you get to through just discussing what someone else has come up with.. its something you come to by digging through your own consciousness.. so please.. allow this thread to develop without policing the boundaries of what has already been done.

Those values would be secondary to achieving a material and practical objective for me.
Do you charge your family and your significant other for love? is there anything to you in the world other then materialism? just a question.

This thread is about holidays not "the bottom line" or an increase in profits!

I'm still not a believer in rituals. :)

Peace Shikamaru,

Luckily there is no requirement that you be a believer. This thread is clearly targeted at folks that understand the role that Ritual plays in the creation/reinforcement of the value systems of a people.. and also the role that ritual plays in the passing of values, history, principles and struggle from one generation to the next. So, its not about convincing anyone to believe in rituals.. either you buy that idea or you don't.. I probably could have/should have started this talk with a definition of ritual in this context and also a short treatment on the role I believe ritual plays in the connection of generations.. and the role that ritual plays in the cultural memory of a people.. I probably should have done that, but I decided I didnt want the debate that would surely follow.. especially using a word like Ritual.. which is very generally associated with mysticism and indigenous cultures.. natives.. tribal traditions, etc. Associations, as we know, that function as a sort of Cultural kryptonite for the American African.. civilized as he/she is.. anything.. even the mistaken-idea of anything tribal.. or indigenous..or, god-forbid.. African.. activates their defense systems.. Even though Ritual is a huge part of American culture... I could even argue that African Americans are being misdirected through their blind participation in American cultural rituals.. But again, thats not the talk I wanted to have in this thread.. I figured I would, instead, just skip ahead and go after the folks that intrinsically sort of understood/agreed with that.. or, better said, those folks whose own ideas of Ritual did not clash to harshly with the definition I implied in my question. I was especially interested in the folks with a deep knowledge of the history and culture of African people.. I figure that, even though it would be smaller group of participants, it would be a more fruitful exchange of ideas..

Every conversation cant be on the ground level of Either/Or.. at some point we have to elevate to the next level of a subject/idea.. so, again, theres no requirement that you believe in ritual.. in fact, you can look at your disagreement as indication that this question may not be for you.. and as rude as that statement could be made to sound, its not meant to be.. its just a cold hard reality--every question is not for every person to answer.. if we pick the ones that resonate with us, the result is usually a richer and far less contentious interaction.. real talk.. I could see you taking your position on Ritual and rolling it into a new thread framed in the way that fits your intentions without stepping on my intentions here in this thread...

-peace again...

Personally, I am solutions and results oriented, practical, and material.
Ritual is important in religion which is one of the reasons I am turned off by it.
People performing or participating in these actions without understanding of its symbolism or history.

"Where's the beef ?" would be my motto.

Rituals appeal more, in my opinion, to those minds more superstitious.
What about instances where the ritual is what brings about the results/solutions that you are seeking? What you be opposed to them(rituals) then?

Do you charge your family and your significant other for love? is there anything to you in the world other then materialism? just a question.

Does love fill the belly?
Does love shelter one from the elements?
Does love pay the bills or satisfy one's creditors?

Action and knowledge does all the above and more.

Ankhur said:
This thread is about holidays not "the bottom line" or an increase in profits!

At some point, the rubber has to meet the road. You can't just always talk about the road.... or the rubber for that matter.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

Blessings sent to all journeying in 2024 so far
Chevron Dove wrote on cherryblossom's profile.
Sis Cherryblossom,
hoping that you are at peace where ever you may be.
Back