Black People : The right side of the immigration debate

THIS ONE'S FOR YOU, FULLSPEED

Deportation Nightmare: Eduardo Caraballo, US Citizen Born In Puerto Rico, Detained As Illegal Immigrant

First Posted: 05-25-10 12:09 PM | Updated: 05-26-10 09:53 AM

Eduardo Caraballo, a U.S. citizen born in the United States, was detained for over three days on suspicion of being an illegal immigrant.
Despite presenting identifying documents and even his birth certificate, Caraballo was held by federal immigration authorities over the weekend and threatened with deportation, according to an NBC Chicago report. He was only released when his congressman, Luis Gutierrez -- a vocal supporter of immigration reform -- intervened on his behalf.
Caraballo was born in Puerto Rico, making him a natural-born citizen of the United States. He moved to the mainland as an infant, and now lives in Chicago.
Last week, NBC reports that he was arrested in connection with a stolen car in Berwyn. Caraballo maintains his innocence. In any case, when his mother posted bail on Friday, he was not freed.
"Instead of being released, he was told by authorities that Immigration and Customs Enforcement was detaining him because he was an illegal immigrant," NBC reports.
Caraballo spent the weekend in the custody of federal immigration agents. When he presented them with ID and his birth certificate, he says officials were skeptical: "Because of the way I look, I have Mexican features, they pretty much assumed that my papers were fake."
Only after his congressman interceded was Caraballo set free.
Rep. Gutierrez, a Chicagoan who is himself of Puerto Rican descent, is a long-time advocate of immigration reform. He was one of the first and loudest voices on the Hill to speak out against the Arizona immigration law, and he was recently arrested at a protest demanding fairer treatment for immigrants and their families.
"It gets worse," Gutierrez said in an interview. "We know of instances in which young people in his same situation are actually taken to the border and deported from the United States.
Not surprisingly, the nine-term Democratic congressman saw a disturbing connection to the situation in the Grand Canyon State.
"In Arizona, they want everybody to be able to prove they're legally in the country. They want everybody to prove that they're an American citizen. Here we had an American citizen, that the federal government... could not determine, for more than three days, his status as an American citizen. It's very, very, very dangerous ground to tread."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/25/deportation-nightmare-edu_n_588788.html

Arizona Immigration Law: Police Chiefs Say Crime Will Go Up If It Passes Anywhere Else

WASHINGTON — Police chiefs from around the country have told Attorney General Eric Holder that Arizona's new immigration law will divert law enforcement resources away from fighting crime.

In an hourlong, closed-door meeting with Holder, the chiefs have said that being forced to determine whether a person is in the United States illegally will break down the trust that police have built with communities.

One participant at the meeting, Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck, said the Arizona law and similar legislation proposed in other states will actually increase, rather than decrease, crime.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/26/arizona-immigration-law-p_n_590122.html?view=print

Why conservatives should oppose Arizona's immigration law

By Connie Mack
Friday, May 28, 2010

America is at a crossroads on a number of issues. And as we tackle national concerns such as immigration, conservatives have a responsibility to commit ourselves to our philosophy of less taxing, less spending, less government and more freedom…
..The latest issue freedom-loving conservatives should be concerned about is the Arizona immigration law.
...This law clearly challenges citizens' freedoms, and it does so by putting some Americans at risk of losing their freedoms while others stand little or no chance of being affected...
…The Arizona immigration law reminds us of how fear and distrust can lead to bad laws and even more government overreach into the private sector and our private lives…
…But trampling on the rights of some Americans to protect the majority conflicts with the values our nation was founded upon...
...Our Constitution protects individual freedoms and liberties. Nowhere does this document speak of protecting the majority over the minority. Anger about the economy, increased crime and security concerns are fueling this law, not constitutional principles...
...Conservatives' most important responsibility is to remember to protect freedom, liberty and the rights of every citizen. The Arizona immigration law doesn't do that, and that's why I oppose it...

...As the wise saying goes, he who sacrifices freedom for security ends up with neither...
...I do not want to live in a nation where American citizens are asked "Where are your papers?" We are better than that...

The writer, a Republican, represents Florida's 14th District in the U.S. House.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp- dyn/content/article/2010/05/13/AR2010051304351.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

Not everyone agrees that the county is better off since the law was enacted.

"Our county was severely hurt economically. Many, many people left this county," said Nancy Lyall of the group, Mexicans Without Borders. "Prince William County has had some of the biggest depreciation of homes of anywhere in this area."

Lyall says the law devastated Prince William County and continues to undermine public safety.
"People don't come forward to testify as witnesses," she said. "They're afraid to do that. They're afraid to report crime."

The issue is clearly divisive. While Stewart says Arizona's new law paves the way for a bright future, Lyall says Arizona is repeating its racist history. For years, it was criticized for not celebrating Martin Luther King Day as a holiday, setting off a nationwide boycott of the state.

"Black people know what Arizona did to them and now Latino people see what Arizona is trying to do to them," said Lyall. "And they see it's all based on race."

OOOPS! I imagine you were hoping no one would read the whole article.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/artic...n-law-virginia-law-similar.html#ixzz0owV9s52U

No....I just included the link for my health :boring::qqb019:

Dude, I said in the OP how I felt about Mexicans and Gays trying to piggy back on the "racism" bandwagon:

Hmmmmmm???? It seems everyone wants to piggy back the success of those who made racism unacceptable and a political death blow. The gays are doing it, now the Mexicans are trying to make restricting their access to go and come into another nation and to gain access to that nations health care, and other resources paid for by the tax payers of that nation about racism.

Do you really expect that words from the likes of Nancy Lyall to do anything but CONFIRM my belief that this it true? The very name of her organization says it ALL: MEXICANS WITHOUT BORDERS

Her AGENDA is so transparent it is unreal. She do not want America to have the right and ability to control its own immigrations levels. Why on earth would any American listen to somebody from an organization called MEXICANS WITHOUT BORDERS??!!?? 80% of the residents from Prince William County support their law and think it was successful but someone from MEXICANS WITHOUT BORDERS claimed it "Devastated" the area. :SuN049: LOLROF

THIS ONE'S FOR YOU, FULLSPEED

Deportation Nightmare: Eduardo Caraballo, US Citizen Born In Puerto Rico, Detained As Illegal Immigrant

First Posted: 05-25-10 12:09 PM | Updated: 05-26-10 09:53 AM

Eduardo Caraballo, a U.S. citizen born in the United States, was detained for over three days on suspicion of being an illegal immigrant.
Despite presenting identifying documents and even his birth certificate, Caraballo was held by federal immigration authorities over the weekend and threatened with deportation, according to an NBC Chicago report. He was only released when his congressman, Luis Gutierrez -- a vocal supporter of immigration reform -- intervened on his behalf.
Caraballo was born in Puerto Rico, making him a natural-born citizen of the United States. He moved to the mainland as an infant, and now lives in Chicago.
Last week, NBC reports that he was arrested in connection with a stolen car in Berwyn. Caraballo maintains his innocence. In any case, when his mother posted bail on Friday, he was not freed.
"Instead of being released, he was told by authorities that Immigration and Customs Enforcement was detaining him because he was an illegal immigrant," NBC reports.
Caraballo spent the weekend in the custody of federal immigration agents. When he presented them with ID and his birth certificate, he says officials were skeptical: "Because of the way I look, I have Mexican features, they pretty much assumed that my papers were fake."
Only after his congressman interceded was Caraballo set free.
Rep. Gutierrez, a Chicagoan who is himself of Puerto Rican descent, is a long-time advocate of immigration reform. He was one of the first and loudest voices on the Hill to speak out against the Arizona immigration law, and he was recently arrested at a protest demanding fairer treatment for immigrants and their families.
"It gets worse," Gutierrez said in an interview. "We know of instances in which young people in his same situation are actually taken to the border and deported from the United States.
Not surprisingly, the nine-term Democratic congressman saw a disturbing connection to the situation in the Grand Canyon State.
"In Arizona, they want everybody to be able to prove they're legally in the country. They want everybody to prove that they're an American citizen. Here we had an American citizen, that the federal government... could not determine, for more than three days, his status as an American citizen. It's very, very, very dangerous ground to tread."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/25/deportation-nightmare-edu_n_588788.html

Based upon this situation, you should support the Arizona law. (I am 100% sure you won't see it that way though) This case happened in Illinois. They do not have the "Arizona Law". So essentially, this type of case can occur anywhere in the country. At least the Arizona law specifically forbids racial profiling and have punitive consequences for violation of that law. Caraballo has no specific written protections other than the constitution itself.....At least under the Arizona Law, Caraballo would have the protection of the statute itself AND the constitution. If this were to occur under the Arizona law, chances are the parties that held him after he presented his identyfing documents and birth certificates would be on the hot seat and Caraballo would have a law suit that strongly favors him. Without the Arizona law, as this occured in Illinois, he has no real legal recourse.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back