Black People : Birthright AFRICA offers free trips to Africa for youth and young adults of African descent

OldSoul

Permanent Black Man
PREMIUM MEMBER
May 16, 2002
Bronzeville USA
www.BLACKLAND.ORG
Occupation
Staying Alive
Birthright AFRICA, a nonprofit organization based in New York City, offers free trips to Africa for youth and young adults of African descent looking to explore their cultural roots.
Formed in 2015, by co-founders Walla Elsheikh and Diallo Shabazz, Birthright AFRICA’s heritage-based leadership program inspires Scholars to draw pride, confidence, and creativity from their cultural roots and legacy of innovation in the U.S. and Africa. Our vision is for every young person in America of African descent to know the birthright opportunity awaits as they come of age. Over the past three years, Birthright AFRICA has been committed to providing a free educational trip to Africa for every youth and young adult of African descent ages 13 – 30 in the United States. With partners including the City University of New York (CUNY) and Frederick Douglass Academy VII High School as well as community-based organizations GrowHouse NYC, Urban Sankofa Project, and Inspiring Minds, 61 Scholars of African descent have received their birthright to explore the resilience and brilliance of their heritage.
What it takes to take a birthright trip to Africa
To take a birthright trip to Africa, you have to be a US citizen and between 13 to 30 years old.
You also have to be of African descent; this includes African American, Afro-Caribbean, Afro-Europeans, Afro-Asian and Afro-Latinx, according to Elsheikh.
"We consider all black people of African descent," Elsheikh said. "Our target groups are those who have been negatively impacted by the traumatizing enslavement and colonization of black people." Birthright AFRICA collaborates with high school, college, or community-based organization who are then considered "partners." These educational partners select the participants and the country they will visit as part of the Birthright AFRICA program.
Anyone who isn't already a part of one of these education partners can register through the Birthright AFRICA website which will then redirect them to a partner in their area with available spaces where they can apply.
Those who take the trip to Africa get to go for free -- flights, hotels, food, and costs of museums are covered by Birthright AFRICA and the educational partners.

Consciousness Raising Online!

Destee Conference 1-866-4-DESTEE

Latest profile posts

Destee wrote on candeesweet's profile.
Hi Sweetie Pie Honey Bunch!!!! :love: ... it's good to see you! I hope you and yours are all well and staying safe. I Love You! :kiss:
Nahshon wrote on Gracious's profile.
Gracious Queen I hope you do come back to destee...I see last time you were online here was 6 years ago on my birthday...I was probably probably taking a puff on that good 'ol stuff at the time...maybe sitting back sipping Coffee, Tea, or Wine...I just had to go back and read your previous posts.
Moved back to the Borough of my birth...Queens New York...Originally from SouthSide but now I live in Far Rockaway.
Clarity to pursue my mission in 2020
Destee wrote on Omowale Jabali's profile.
Hi Brother O! YAAAAAY! Good to see you! Hoping all is well with you and yours! Happy New Year! :heart: