Black People : Something to think about...

DreamFunk

REGISTERED MEMBER
May 27, 2003
Memphis10/ VA
"Black Pride"....

....I've already never gave a hoot about "white", but I'm also growing to not give a hoot about "black"....labels will never truly change what one was, is, will, or can be; but because of others, they can undeservingly restrict or promote.....therefore, I have no problem with not refering to myself as "black".

....but aren't I supposed to be "proud to be black"...????....why..???....if I can't find joy in anything other than my blackness, then I am one sad, pathetic, and lost individual....and if I can't break away from something such as labels that were put onto me by my "oppressors", then I'm one extremely fearful individual...."black" people always talk about freedom, but as long as we refer to ourselves as being what those who we seek to become free from defined us by, we can never be free.....true freedom is not about simply going where you want, or doing what you want to do, but it is also about having no fear; and dependence = fear.

To be free is not merely to do what you like, or to break away from outward circumstances which bind you, but to understand the whole problem of dependence. Do you know what dependence is? You depend on your parent, don't you? You depend on your teachers, you depend on the cook, on the postman, on the man who brings you milk, and so on. That kind of dependence one can understand fairly easily. But there is a far deeper kind of dependence which one must understand before one can be free: the dependence on another for one's happiness. Do you know what it means to depend on somebody for your happiness? It is not the mere physical dependence on another which is so binding, but the inward, psychological dependence from which you derive so-called happiness; for when you depend on somebody in that way, you become a slave.
~ Jiddu Krishnamurti

....as long as we refer to ourselves as, and 'find joy'/'take pride' in what those who oppressed us defined us as, we will forever be dependent on those oppressors, thus never being free from them....this is something that we must at least understand.

....but for those who are content with the present situation of themselves and all those around them (directly or indirectly), then all of this is irrelevant.

lets see, im black to the bone, and black and proud. if your not black then what are you? that is the most rediculous thing ive ever heard. our opressors labeled us not human, we called our selves black. what your writting is a white suppremecy success story...take away the pride of the black slave and the rest of the enslavement will be easy.

you asked; why be proud to be black?

because people tried to kill our ancestors who were proud, not to mention the fact that we are great!....it sounds like ur in fear of representing your blackness

so i say stay black til u die. represent black to the fullest..

peace on the planet

Therious said:
lets see, im black to the bone, and black and proud. if your not black then what are you? that is the most rediculous thing ive ever heard.

...you are a prime example of everything that I wrote....you didn't grasp a thing I said....the European man told you that you're "black", and you are so dependent on him that it just baffles your mind to see it any other way....the thought of yourself not being referred to as "black" is probably a very dreadful one to you, correct..???...does that thought produce fear of uncertainty in your heart...???

Therious said:
our opressors labeled us not human, we called our selves black.

...no, you are "black" because "white" Europeans told you that you were....or are you saying that native Africans referred to themselves as "black" before their contacts with Europeans..???

Therious said:
what your writting is a white suppremecy success story...

....hmm, and how might that be...???....I believe that this European social construct of "black"/"white" needs to be done away with....you on the other had seek to perpetuate, and even take pride in their system....if anyone is a white supremacy success story it is yourself....what good to humanity has this social construct of "black"/white" done...???....absolutely none, but it has done much harm......with that being said, why bask it...???

Therious said:
...take away the pride of the black slave and the rest of the enslavement will be easy.

you asked; why be proud to be black?

because people tried to kill our ancestors who were proud, not to mention the fact that we are great!....it sounds like ur in fear of representing your blackness

...pride pride pride...there is nothing good about pride as this...this type of "pride" that you speak of is nothing more than tones of positive reinforcement...depending on the situation, I see the boasting of having "pride" as nothing but a ploy to hide insecurities.

...and I think it's foolish to take pride in being "white" or "black"....you have dirt poor and illiterate rednecks in Mississippi that think they're better than any AfroAmerican just because they're "white"....you have uneducated people speaking of "white achievements" and how their "white" ancestry makes them better than all others, when they themselves have done absolutely nothing for society (except for sit on their butts and eat potato-chips)....now how can I call out the ignorance of those people when I too am upholding this social construct..??..you can't destroy "whiteness" unless "blackness" falls with it.

...and speaking of our ancestors, they did what they had to do just in order to survive....our present situation compares in no way to what they went through; and accordingly, we must move on, or forever be stagnant.

Therious said:
so i say stay black til u die. represent black to the fullest..

...would you feel totally lost without your blackness...???

Greetings DreamFunk...good thread. I had to read it several times to grasp the message before I responded. I also read your exchange with Brother Therious and think I understand the point you are making here.

Let's see...I believe that I understand the argument against embracing a word to describe who one is as a member of a group, especially if that word was assigned to that group by the (perceived) power and authority of another group. Are you suggesting that we should reject the term "black" for the same reasons we rejected the name "negro"?

If what we call ourselves gives credence to either a dependent state of mind versus and independent state, then what terminology do you suggest WE use to describe who we are as a nation of people, whose national origin is rooted in the African Continent? Also, how do you (or is it even necessary to) make the distinction between US and THEM who may also be "from" Africa, but don't look like US? Hopefully I am clear in framing my question and haven't confused you. :)

Peace,
Queenie :spinstar:

dreamfunk said:
...no, you are "black" because "white" Europeans told you that you were....or are you saying that native Africans referred to themselves as "black" before their contacts with Europeans..???

Egypt (a misguided Greek name) was originally called KEMET which literally means "land of the BLACKS" by its ancient BLACK inhabitants.

http://search.msn.com/pass/results....H&v=1&&q=Kemet+land+of+the+blacks&cp=1252&X=1

dreamfunk said:
...you can't destroy "whiteness" unless "blackness" falls with it

No, BLACKness swallows whiteness. Next time you have on a white tee shirt, go into the bathroom and turn off the lights and try to "see" if you can "see" it. Our ancient BLACK ancestors had EXTENSIVE knowledge of BLACKness and it's importance to every part of life. I feel your need to want to make a change, just do a little more study and research. I recommend going to http://www.blackconsciousness.com to get you started. I also want to invite you to Destee's own MELANIN discussions which will give you a reason to be proud of your own BLACKness. http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21411 HTP.

"Om"

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back