Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : So when is this wig fad going to end?

Do we know any Black women who voluntarily shear off their years of natural hair growth,

:SuN049: OK, that is funny as hell. Black women, shave the hair off their heads? Oh let me laugh at that again! :SuN049:

Black women are always thinking they can't grow hair. Many are convinced of this, and get to the point of being envious when someone with shoulder length hair or longer dares to cut their hair... because longer hair is something they've always been coveting.

Too many are quite in a cycle. I know a woman who's already sparse hair is breaking and she is balding at the crown. She must have been getting relaxers for years on end and they have not done her well. She's ashamed of her head and hair when she dares to wear it out. Most of the time, you see her with these very tight extension braids. Now the Africans around here who do hair, do it tight enough to make you look chinese. But when your hair is sparse, and short and balding in some areas, they have to do it even tighter. I'm thinking 'dam that poor soul. She's trying to cover her head and give her almost-nonexistent hair a break from chemicals, but doesn't she know she is pulling out the rest of with those tight-*** braids?'

Girlfriend gotta nice little job, make way mo money than I do. But I'm trying to figure out how I tactfully give her some advice about her head and hair? I'm thinking I'll buy her a book on natural hair care, some type or organic oil or butter, and call it a day.

But I'm convinced this is why many women wear weaves and wigs. Most of the ones I've seen who wear the straight weave, you can see the demarcation between the weave and their natural relaxed hair, and the relaxed hair is never no more 3 inches, dry, thirsty, greasy, and over processed. That's why I say 'black women will stop wearing weaves and wigs when they grow long natural straight hair grow out of their heads.'

Which... ironically can happen if they stop doing whatever it is they are doing with it. Well it can be long an natural, not sure about straight.

Well it can be long an natural.

ABSOLUTELY SIS!!

In the 18 months since I stopped relaxing my hair and put it in protective braids continually, it has never grown so fast before, or looked and felt so strong, soft and healthy...when I had relaxed hair, even my new growth felt brittle, dry and rough. Now I have to renew my braids with increasing regularity because the new growth comes through sooooo quickly, and my hair is what may be considered the 'typical' texture, by no means limp, silky or wavy- at all. I'm just redscovering my hair,and I love it soooooo much I don't care who knows lol!! :D :toast:

Hotep :)

Please tell me how straight fake hair contributes to natural-growing kinky hair that is manageable? Isn't that just a way to cover up natural hair?
Maybe. I think you read me wrong. If long, kinky hair was sold in stores, more BW would buy. All I see is short afro wigs and afro puffs on the shelves.

The ancient Egyptians wore wigs so having a wig is not the problem - the problem is - it doesn't represent the essence of our peoples. When the ancient Egyptian wore wigs the wigs were fashioned after Locks ... so in essence it still represented our people.

The wigs our women are wearing now represent white women and is without an ethnic drop of our essence.

Its disturbs me when we've become so complacent that we don't think that there is anything wrong with not looking like ourselves. Our women are the most beautiful woman on the planet. This is not a new point of view but was shared by ancient Europeans as well. There was a time they wanted to look like our woman but now our women is trying to look like them. Our women say that they are not trying to look like Europeans but then why does the hair differ vastly from our sistas natural hair yet is identical with European hair? This is a prime example of conflict between actions and words of mouth.

Peace

Ru2religious

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I consistently see heads of damaged, stringy, breaking off, stagnant, frazzled relaxed hair and conspicuous weaves whose textures look nothing like ours and think, "They really think that looks better than locks, braids, twists, a short natural, a full-fledged fro ...?!"

Think about the many older black women we see with see-through hair who depend on wigs because of all the damage caused by years of chemicals and using thermal appliances on their hair.

Think of all the black women who really believe their hair can't grow.

I am regularly asked about my hair by black women who, on the surface, one might think would be adverserial or disinterested. Instead, I find many to be curious about my hair (upper-mid back length locks). Many have never seen locks so versatile, and they wonder what they are, how I got them and how long it took.

I patiently and explicitly answer their questions and accept their compliments invitingly, only for them to end with a dismissive excuse like, "My face is too big to wear that" or "My man ain't having no naps" or "I can't look right with short hair."