Black People : Racism in the Dominican Republic

@Amnatt77

Yes we do have 'problems', basically you could say a lot of us are screwed up over a number of things, not a reason for sympathy, just a fact of life and one which has been exploited by whites deliberately over time, why breed mulattoes deliberately otherwise - you're right in a lot of the things you say, but yes also it does come across sometimes as hate, which of course pushes all the wrong buttons and makes us, well me, over-react and feel the need to get all defensive - its probably just an effect of you putting your views strongly, you seem a much stronger-minded woman than me - again the trait whites wanted us to have. When I'm in a 'focused' frame of mind I can see a lot of what you're getting at, but I have to admit some others on here do put it in a way where I don't feel threatened - and yes it does seem that way at times. Now we aren't a people like black folk or white folk, the word is Spanish for mule after all, we're hybrids. So we have to either sit in the middle or align ourselves with one side or the other, now if we choose to align with the black side that doesn't mean we'll get things right - some of us will, some of us will mess up regularly. There's certainly no obligation on black folk to help us on this as they have plenty to deal with and we're not your responsibility to look after. Many may well be a lost cause, in the case of others I agree with Zim that they aren't necessarily so - the reason I'm here at all is that I want to be in that second group that at the very least aren't a hindrance to black folk in any way - it may not seem like that at times I know - examples of the messing up I mentioned earlier.

I'm well aware of myself and i am aware of how i come across... unless I'm speaking to a child or an elder.. i see no reason to change...now I'm not going to outright disrespect anyone for no reason... if i was Destee would have banned me long time...but i figure we all adults wearing masks in an insane world... so for sanity's sake, there has to be a place were all pretense can be put to the side.. so we can get down to the nitty gritty...

That being said..do you feel the ''threatened'' feeling you get from words, ideas or whatever is a problem that lies within me or yourself?

@Amnatt77

No, don't feel its you! Like I said you come across as a strong woman, who expresses herself forcefully - like you say re the 'we're all adults' bit perhaps we need more of that. Just me, personally, find it hard to deal with. Like I've said before in real life I'm not like that, I have enough trouble working out what I believe let alone expressing it - I know all my problems for sure - lack of maturity, lack of confidence etc - all problems I have to deal with not anyone else. Plus despite what people have told me re black people's attitudes to mulattoes I do still feel inferior to black folk in a way I don't to whites - it might well all be in my head, but threads like that Neanderthal one just push all those inferiority buttons and in my head I hear - 'you're 2/3rds animal, you're not a real human' and I go into self-defense mode - I just need to learn to stay away from threads which are going to make my emotions take over from my brain. Maybe that way I'll annoy people rather less and learn rather more.

It seemed odd to me that on the job sisters who were from the Domiican Republic would say they were not Black, even when no one had mentioned race, or the question never came up,
so I had wondered what the background of that was;
this from Wikipedia;
Ethnicity

Dominican girls at carnival, in Taíno garments and makeup (2005)The ethnic composition of the Dominican population is 73% multiracial, 16% white, and 11% black.[1] The multiracial population is primarily a mixture of European and African, but there is as well a significant Taíno element in the population;[25] recent research has shown that at least 15% of Dominicans have Taíno ancestry.[68] The country's population also includes a large Haitian minority. Other ethnic groups in the country include West Asians—mostly Lebanese, Syrians and Palestinians.[69] A significant presence of East Asians, primarily ethnic Chinese and Japanese, can also be found.[69] Europeans are represented mostly by Spanish, German Jews, Italians, Portuguese, British, Dutch, Danes, and Hungarians.[69][70][71] There are also tens of thousands of US citizens.[72]

A system of racial stratification was imposed on Santo Domingo by Spain, as elsewhere in the Spanish Empire.[citation needed] Its effects have persisted, reaching their culmination in the antihaitianismo of the Trujillo regime, as the dictator used racial persecution and nationalistic fervor against Haitians.[51][73] A U.N. envoy in October 2007 found racism against blacks in general, and Haitians in particular, to be rampant in every segment of Dominican society.[74] According to a study by the CUNY Dominican Studies Institute, about 90% of the contemporary Dominican population has West African ancestry to varying degrees.[75] However, most Dominicans do not self-identify as black, in contrast to people of West African ancestry in other countries. A variety of terms are used to represent a range of skin tones, such as moreno/a (brown), canelo/a (red/brown) ["cinnamon"], indio/a (Indian), blanco/a oscuro/a (dark white), and trigueño/a (literally "wheat colored", or olive skin).[76]

Ramona Hernández, director of the Dominican Studies Institute at City College of New York asserts that the terms were originally a defense against racism: "During the Trujillo regime, people who were dark skinned were rejected, so they created their own mechanism to fight it." She went on to explain, "When you ask, 'What are you?' they don't give you the answer you want ... saying we don't want to deal with our blackness is simply what you want to hear."[77]

so 7 11

craps or luck

either way 117 and 711 dead already

they catholic

and for the record kat can make a movie called nine lives

but a cat only has seven

i guess luck does run out

wrath
greed
sloth
pride
lust
envy
gluttony

wow it takes a real genius to create the above in seven days

like that's ur origin

@Amnatt77

Yes we do have 'problems', basically you could say a lot of us are screwed up over a number of things, not a reason for sympathy, just a fact of life and one which has been exploited by whites deliberately over time, why breed mulattoes deliberately otherwise - you're right in a lot of the things you say, but yes also it does come across sometimes as hate, which of course pushes all the wrong buttons and makes us, well me, over-react and feel the need to get all defensive - its probably just an effect of you putting your views strongly, you seem a much stronger-minded woman than me - again the trait whites wanted us to have. When I'm in a 'focused' frame of mind I can see a lot of what you're getting at, but I have to admit some others on here do put it in a way where I don't feel threatened - and yes it does seem that way at times. Now we aren't a people like black folk or white folk, the word is Spanish for mule after all, we're hybrids. So we have to either sit in the middle or align ourselves with one side or the other, now if we choose to align with the black side that doesn't mean we'll get things right - some of us will, some of us will mess up regularly. There's certainly no obligation on black folk to help us on this as they have plenty to deal with and we're not your responsibility to look after. Many may well be a lost cause, in the case of others I agree with Zim that they aren't necessarily so - the reason I'm here at all is that I want to be in that second group that at the very least aren't a hindrance to black folk in any way - it may not seem like that at times I know - examples of the messing up I mentioned earlier.

I am confused, whites wanted mixed race folks to be less strong minded?

@Amnatt77

No, don't feel its you! Like I said you come across as a strong woman, who expresses herself forcefully - like you say re the 'we're all adults' bit perhaps we need more of that. Just me, personally, find it hard to deal with. Like I've said before in real life I'm not like that, I have enough trouble working out what I believe let alone expressing it - I know all my problems for sure - lack of maturity, lack of confidence etc - all problems I have to deal with not anyone else. Plus despite what people have told me re black people's attitudes to mulattoes I do still feel inferior to black folk in a way I don't to whites - it might well all be in my head, but threads like that Neanderthal one just push all those inferiority buttons and in my head I hear - 'you're 2/3rds animal, you're not a real human' and I go into self-defense mode - I just need to learn to stay away from threads which are going to make my emotions take over from my brain. Maybe that way I'll annoy people rather less and learn rather more.

lol I am sorry but that's funny. Whites sharing Neanderthal genes is like...fact so I don't see how/why anyone would be offended.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back