Black People : Racism in the Dominican Republic

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Ankhur, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    It seemed odd to me that on the job sisters who were from the Domiican Republic would say they were not Black, even when no one had mentioned race, or the question never came up,
    so I had wondered what the background of that was;
    this from Wikipedia;
    Ethnicity

Dominican girls at carnival, in Taíno garments and makeup (2005)The ethnic composition of the Dominican population is 73% multiracial, 16% white, and 11% black.[1] The multiracial population is primarily a mixture of European and African, but there is as well a significant Taíno element in the population;[25] recent research has shown that at least 15% of Dominicans have Taíno ancestry.[68] The country's population also includes a large Haitian minority. Other ethnic groups in the country include West Asians—mostly Lebanese, Syrians and Palestinians.[69] A significant presence of East Asians, primarily ethnic Chinese and Japanese, can also be found.[69] Europeans are represented mostly by Spanish, German Jews, Italians, Portuguese, British, Dutch, Danes, and Hungarians.[69][70][71] There are also tens of thousands of US citizens.[72]

A system of racial stratification was imposed on Santo Domingo by Spain, as elsewhere in the Spanish Empire.[citation needed] Its effects have persisted, reaching their culmination in the antihaitianismo of the Trujillo regime, as the dictator used racial persecution and nationalistic fervor against Haitians.[51][73] A U.N. envoy in October 2007 found racism against blacks in general, and Haitians in particular, to be rampant in every segment of Dominican society.[74] According to a study by the CUNY Dominican Studies Institute, about 90% of the contemporary Dominican population has West African ancestry to varying degrees.[75] However, most Dominicans do not self-identify as black, in contrast to people of West African ancestry in other countries. A variety of terms are used to represent a range of skin tones, such as moreno/a (brown), canelo/a (red/brown) ["cinnamon"], indio/a (Indian), blanco/a oscuro/a (dark white), and trigueño/a (literally "wheat colored", or olive skin).[76]

Ramona Hernández, director of the Dominican Studies Institute at City College of New York asserts that the terms were originally a defense against racism: "During the Trujillo regime, people who were dark skinned were rejected, so they created their own mechanism to fight it." She went on to explain, "When you ask, 'What are you?' they don't give you the answer you want ... saying we don't want to deal with our blackness is simply what you want to hear."[77]

2. blackeyes

blackeyes Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +449
    well according to the stats the overwhelming majority of them are NOT black so forget 'em.

3. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    Same thing happens in the black community in the US so lets stop acting as if this phenomenon is unique and unheard of..blacks in the US use terms daily which to demeans their african ancestry i.e ''nappy hair' ''you're so black'' ''don't let the dark skin come out'' ''if you white you're right, if your black stay back'' and of course the littlest amongst you preferring white dolls to blacks dolls, wanting perms etc.... they exhibit this self hatred at a very young age because it is what they have been taught, and what has been passed on generation to generation- just like in the Dominican Republic..

4. StefiA

StefiA Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +215
    Place sure sounds like one with a huge variety of mix - I can understand some of them not identifying as black if they're actually a mix of three or four other things as well as African - but presumably the darker ones are discriminated against whatever they call themselves.
    As to how you stop black folk themselves discriminating against other darker blacks, that's way more difficult - somehow you got to break that cycle of learned behaviour and its probably learned at a really young age, but beats me how you actually do that - maybe some black child psychologists have come up with some ideas - if so then you need a way to implement it - maybe an area some charities are involved in - be good to know of any involved in that kind of work.

5. Genuine

Genuine Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    When I was in grade school, the kids used to pick on the other kids who were dark in color. I'm not going to repeat some of the insults because that's unnecessary but the comments were brutal.

I even had a teacher who said that the lighter-color black children were very attractive and said that in a few generations, all of the black children in America would be mocha-colored. I didn't understand it at the time but now I realize that she was talking about race mixing and the dilution of the black bloodline.

It is true to an extent that lighter-skinned blacks are "valued" more highly in the black community. Maybe the word "valued" isn't the correct one but it's my feeling that this is true.

6. blackeyes

blackeyes Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +449
    "nappy hair"? what's wrong w/ saying nappy hair?
    what do the english call it?

7. bientempo

bientempo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Dominican Republic
    Ratings:
    +165
    Bull

The main difference is that we know and acknowledge that we are mixed!

We do not have institutional racism such as the US. As almost everyone is mixed to an extent, we claim nationality not color. One family can have all the above mentioned colors represented in the Brothers, Sisters, Aunts, Uncles, Grandparents, Cousins. Oh and you missed a few like Negro, Rubio.

As far as being discriminated against due to color sure there are idiots here same as in the USA. Does that mean with education etc that they can't get ahead NO.

Its been said many times folks this is not the USA thank god. Try as you might we will not fit in your nice little box. Whether or not our current President claims black or not, he is darker than yours. Since the earthquake we have been one of the few countries that have put up. Unlike your that promises money but pays nada. They only send their NGO's to take advantage of the situation which is the same that they have been doing for years.

I'm out of here as nothing will be gained by debating with people that are closed minded with their own agenda. As I have said before come on down an see for yourself. NO more comment on the subject

8. Amnat77

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    Firstly, I'm not English.. secondly, nappy hair is title give to you by whites...this why i don't refer to my hair as 'dread locks'' because there nothing dreadful about my hair...

9. bientempo

bientempo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Dominican Republic
    Ratings:
    +165
    Bull

sorry double post

10. Amnat77

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622

I understand what you are saying... but you cannot deny the stain the Trujillo(sp) era has left on your culture and in the minds of your people.. the negative impact is undeniable and unavoidable.. like as the Apartheid era in South Africa...

O/T
    you should start another thread on the Haiti situation and the NGOs... if you have any more information..

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dominican republic ethnicity self hate