Black People : Racism in the Dominican Republic

Mulattoes have never been seen as white or Arab though - no matter how much they kid themselves of this. IMO, it is not just the one drop rule thats the reason for this. Given privileges but never seen as brethren.

The term black peopleusually refers to a racial group of humans with skin colors that range from light brown to nearly black. It is also used to categorize a number of diverse populations together based on historical and prehistorical ancestral relationships.

We can't force them to identify as black but we can't write them all off - What about those who do identify?

Its a similar situation with Brazil with except their systems of classification are absurd. Its like the blacker you are - the harder it is. They do anything to identify as anything but Black.

I don't want to force them to identify as black..and it is even worse when the law forces them to identify as black (a class with with less power than whites, as they see it and the crux of the problem) then they develop a complex... a love love for whites... but a love hate... which mostly ends up as HATE for blacks...history proves this over and over again if you look deep within the history of Haitian revolution... you will find blacks trusting them (even though they clearly had a complex about their mix status) was what led to failure of the revolution...

In Sudan mixed black/Arab are considered Arabs..and in Haiti upper class mullatos creoles are pretty much considered white or French...:10500:

And yes i can write them off... as fellow destee.com member once said: its all about 'self preservation'' we need stop playing NICE... and start playing the game at the same level or higher as those who started it...

Thank you.....Jennifer Lopez and Juan Valdez are NOT my sister and brother.

Lol that's cold :SuN049: nah.. all one needs to do is go to Miami and experience life with the white looking or mixed Puerto Rican and Cubans...I guarantee the person will never make the mistake of calling them 'sister or brother' again...they ain't easy over there... the whole time they are using ATR systems.. but are simultaneously spiting in your face calling you a N:whip:.....

I tell ya....

@Amnatt77

Yes we do have 'problems', basically you could say a lot of us are screwed up over a number of things, not a reason for sympathy, just a fact of life and one which has been exploited by whites deliberately over time, why breed mulattoes deliberately otherwise - you're right in a lot of the things you say, but yes also it does come across sometimes as hate, which of course pushes all the wrong buttons and makes us, well me, over-react and feel the need to get all defensive - its probably just an effect of you putting your views strongly, you seem a much stronger-minded woman than me - again the trait whites wanted us to have. When I'm in a 'focused' frame of mind I can see a lot of what you're getting at, but I have to admit some others on here do put it in a way where I don't feel threatened - and yes it does seem that way at times. Now we aren't a people like black folk or white folk, the word is Spanish for mule after all, we're hybrids. So we have to either sit in the middle or align ourselves with one side or the other, now if we choose to align with the black side that doesn't mean we'll get things right - some of us will, some of us will mess up regularly. There's certainly no obligation on black folk to help us on this as they have plenty to deal with and we're not your responsibility to look after. Many may well be a lost cause, in the case of others I agree with Zim that they aren't necessarily so - the reason I'm here at all is that I want to be in that second group that at the very least aren't a hindrance to black folk in any way - it may not seem like that at times I know - examples of the messing up I mentioned earlier.

I don't want to force them to identify as black..and it is even worse when the law forces them to identify as black (a class with with less power than whites, as they see it and the crux of the problem) then they develop a complex... a love love for whites... but a love hate... which mostly ends up as HATE for blacks...history proves this over and over again if you look deep within the history of Haitian revolution... you will find blacks trusting them (even though they clearly had a complex about their mix status) was what led to failure of the revolution...

In Sudan mixed black/Arab are considered Arabs..and in Haiti upper class mullat
And..

All im saying is racism in there country's is different than it is in the US. They have never really 'freed' themselves and have rather accepted that identifying as Black isn't going to do them any good, and gone with the easy way out or bogus classifications such as brown.

What about those who do identify as Black?

All im saying is racism in there country's is different than it is in the US. They have never really 'freed' themselves and have rather accepted that identifying as Black isn't going to do them any good, and gone with the easy way out or bogus classifications such as brown.

What about those who do identify as Black?

I beg to differ ..if they all came together under one common banner, without the class and color stratification put upon them by the French (just like with the Spanish in brazil) Haiti would be a so called first world country today ..but alas.. they allowed themselves to be duped into separating from and hating their african side..so much so that they subjugated their own people but hold up the French..:10500:

The only Haitians i know who are mullatos but identify as black i met in the US..but then again they had no choice.....:10500:

Ezilli Danto: Haitian Lawyer, activist who was born and lives in the States... identifies as black...

http://open.salon.com/blog/ezili_danto

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back