Black People : Names (Toby or Kunte Kinte, Kizzy or Ms Ann)

Thank you, Rasheed for your blessings! My father was the parent who named me. My mother was going to name me Caridad after her orisha, Oshun (which is her Yoruba name). My father is a sovereign and his family has been for many years now so fortunately I had a solid foundation to start with! The thing about being black-american is that first, it appears that we want to be American forst. That's secondary! We are all African first. We know that forthe most part, we are of West-African descent. Especially, if you were brought from the carribean so that's a start there. We have to be deliberate in our efforts to find out who we are or at least find out characteristcs of our that region and act accordingly. Some people may never be able to pinpoint directly where they are from but you can take steps to insure that you can live your life according to the ways of our ancestors.

QbanMami said:
Thank you, Rasheed for your blessings! My father was the parent who named me. My mother was going to name me Caridad after her orisha, Oshun (which is her Yoruba name). My father is a sovereign and his family has been for many years now so fortunately I had a solid foundation to start with! The thing about being black-american is that first, it appears that we want to be American forst. That's secondary! We are all African first. We know that forthe most part, we are of West-African descent. Especially, if you were brought from the carribean so that's a start there. We have to be deliberate in our efforts to find out who we are or at least find out characteristcs of our that region and act accordingly. Some people may never be able to pinpoint directly where they are from but you can take steps to insure that you can live your life according to the ways of our ancestors.

You are most welcome and i applaud you and others who have a sense of self and who understand the importance of maintaining a positive identification for self and posterity...................

i found a strong identy in the Qur'an and the teachings of Al-Islam. It connects with the "Truth of the Ages" and the righteous People of the Ages for me. My sons are Muhammad Abdullah Rasheed and Isma'el Nur Rasheed and my grandchildren are Ameenah Latifah Rasheed and Zaheer Muhammad Rasheed.......They know their names and the meanings.

It is ignorance and short-sightedness for the names to be called Arab names and slave names. They are for us Righteous Qur'an based names and names of liberation.....

Knowledge of self is the most important knowledge we can have. We cannot know others if we don't know ourselves. It is impossible to even have true knowledge of G-d without true knowledge of self. We should name our children names that challenge them to get the true knowledge of self. We need to research our names and rename ourselves if necessary. The least that we can do is get the knowledge of our names and make a pact to pass the knowledge on so that our progeny will better know who they (we) are.
We must know who we were, who we are and who we are becoming.....

The most precious thing taken form the Afican American slave was knowledge of self. We continue to labor under this amnesia up to today.

When we get our identities back we will then have a true place of dignity in life and not until then.

We are building "New Africa" here and now. When the names change we will change them. We will cease to accept the naming by our enemies and the influences that such namings have on us and our futures.

Naming is done by the powerful and the wise among the powerful realize the impossible task of individually naming each baby so they use the powers of suggestions and influences to get the populace to choose names that keep them empowered over the masses. They give them their names and continue to exercise power, control, dominance and authority over them.

i believe that breaking from the names that show subservience to men is a strong step toward liberation. The strongest names are the names that denote strong reliance on Allah like Abdullah (Servant of Allah) and Abdur-Rahmaan (Servant of the Merciful Benefactor)

I have no problem with giving children names with meaning and historical significance or religious significance or honoring ancestors.

One of the most touching names I have ever known for a child was a female named "REJOICE."----Her mother named her that because she'd had several miscarriages before finally carrying that baby to full-term. So, she named her according to her joy and happiness and thankfulness for having a living, healthy baby girl.

Now, to me, THAT'S a beautiful name!

But, I DO have a problem when people name their children using alla dat so-called "CREATIVE" spelling and just make names outta anything.

And to make it worse some of us will give our children some looooong name with 13 letters in it and accents marks and hyphens and such and THEN....

Call the child "Shay-Shay," "Nay-Nay," "Tay-Tay" and other abbreviations. :10500:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back