Black Spirituality Religion : Must One Master the Body, Before the Spirit Can Be?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Destee, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Peace and Blessings Family,

Sister True shared a wonderful thread on Society of Kemetic Yoga and I got the distinct impression that one's body must be in tip top physical shape in order to achieve some of what was demonstrated in that video.

Also in the video, there was an image of a pyramid, with the natural body at the base and the Innermost Spirit at the top. It seemed to suggest that one must first master the body before even moving on to master the Spirit.

I captured the image below from the video. Am I understanding properly?

[​IMG]

Deep stuff, because I know my body is not where it should be. I'm gonna work on that though. But I know I'm not alone. Many of us have bodies, that if required to use them to survive any physically strenuous kind of environment, we'd probably die.

Can one be Spiritually Masterful, while neglecting, abusing, or simply not taking care of their body properly, first?

Please share your thoughts Family, and thanks in advance.

:heart:

Destee

2. Putney Swope

Putney Swope Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +139
    Absolutely not,

but one can make great spiritual progress while working on the body since everthing about the spirit is already wth you, it just simply must be uncovered, also folks should not be stressed about thier physcal condition but accept themselves as they are at the moment and then make a commitment to improve, gradualy, at ones own pace but consistently,
    because negative thoughts, concious and subconcious about oneself are the greatest impediment to spiritual progress and enlightenment

3. WARRIOR

WARRIOR BAMN - By Any Means Necessary PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +298
    I TOO AM CURIOUS.....I AM ABOUT TO CHANGE MY WORK HABITS SO I CAN MAKE TIME TO EXERCISE , READ & WRITE....

I SAW THE VIDEO....AND THE ONE PHRASE THAT KEPT COMING TO MIND WAS....." IN TUNE ".......

I'M LISTENING....

WARRIOR

4. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    being in one's Spirit will encourage one to be in spirit with one's body, mind and everything else (that of Spirit/Nature which is outside of one's Self).

one will, essentially, gravitate toward stuff that is positive, such as taking care of one's body, almost without even thinking about it simply because it's a thing that the Spirit wants to do.

basically, this is the Essence of "Spirituality".

5. ang-EL

ang-EL Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +50
    Great topic

I know that I can tap into my spiritual powers at times but I do contend that I would have to master my carnal self/my body of desires to achieve spiritual mastery.

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    I tend not to agree with this, based simply on the fact that everything about the body is with us too, right along with the Spirit.

Poor physical condition can cause stress, along with a host of other ailments. To be stressed about the body's poor physical condition is another, separate issue.

Without the initial "negative" thought, that improvement is needed, there would never be improvement. So, the thought may not actually be negative at all, but positive, if we act upon it and correct it.

I'm no expert, just my opinion.

Destee

7. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Brother ang-EL ... Welcome Home ... :love:

It does not make sense that one can master the Spirit, while leaving the body in shambles or at risk of all kinds of diseases, poor performance and such.

I'm on a quest for Spiritual enlightenment, and I think the path to that must include a healthy body, where the Spirit dwells.

Can we have healthy children, living in a filthy house, all tore down and in ruins? I suppose, but those babies won't be the best they can be, living in that environment.

Love You!

Destee

8. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771

my love, Destee,

From my experience, every thing works best, when one’s body is working well. If your body is in top form, you can achieve greater goals in both the mind and spirit. In knowing one can run, escape, climb and fight back. One knows of the abilities one can really do. This in part gives one the knowledge that one needs to pursue greater mental and spiritual tasks/goals.

The mind/body/spirit are all connected into one. Neglecting any one of them, will diminish the others. Optimum physical ability will enhance your capacity to learn mentally and spiritually. All can be enhance simultaneously, and not one over the other. If any one here has access to real Capoeira (Angola). I would highly recommend it. It’s an African system for empowering all, mind/body/spirit. It’s not a religion, but an African philosophy toward becoming a complete empowered being.

AXE!

9. Putney Swope

Putney Swope Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +139
    you know you missed the point entirely, i did not say don't look at one being overweight or eating the wrong foods or drinking impure water or not exercising at least 45 minutes each day or eating live foods for at least 2 meals each day,

I said not to be stressed about ones present condition, and it is that stress that hampers anyone from improving and doing the exercises and the fasting and the juicing and the mind clearing exercises with a joyful spirit rather then seein g it as a chore.

The main thing that impedes anyone onthis quest is that they get into it with a sense of desperstion for a while and then they slack off or they start to miss days or they start to cheat on thier diet, and then they are back to squre one again, which is why somany have problems having the discipline to lose weight

10. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    my love, Destee ??? ... :love: ... awwww Brother Corvo ... you better be still before you find yourself with stalker ... :luvv:

Yes Brother Corvo, that is what i'm talking about! Optimum abilities in all areas, mind body and Spirit. At a glance though, we can only see the bodies, and based on what the landscape is looking like, it might be kinda scary to look at the minds and Spirits of some of us. In this particular arena (the Internet), we often offer our minds and Spirits, with no evidence of the body being presented. We can kinda fool people into thinking we are all that we should be. I think the body is an easy indicator of what might be going on with the mind and the Spirit, ya know? If we're walking around out of breath, gluttonous, having no real concern for our physical bodies, well ... i think it might be indicative of greater issues that need attention. I don't mean to be hard on us, but this is something we have within our control, to change and/or correct if necessary. Failing to do it, address it, is an indicator as well. I'm talking mostly about me (to me), my own self, as i've embarked upon a journey!

I looked up Capoeira, and am sharing the videos below. I'll look more into it as well, but oh my gosh, even at optimum levels, would I be able to do that stuff!?

It makes me think of Ninja Warriors, i believe they are asian oriented. Is there an African like Ninja thingy? If so, what is it, Capoeira, or something else, more? I've always wondered this, about the Ninja like African thing. Please let me know if you know.

Thanks for everything, especially the love ... :love:

Destee