Black Spirituality Religion : I apologize to religious people, I must have been misinformed.

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by MS234, Jan 6, 2012.

1. MS234

MS234 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,901
    In NO way am I trying to be condescending, funny, underhanded.

I believe perhaps I could have been misinformed. I'm always evaluating and re-evaluating myself, my premise and my projection. Christianity is NOT the only religion, so when I say the word religion, I mean ALL of them.

I was told early on in life that being religious meant that one was compassionate, caring, understanding, loving, sharing and OBJECTIVE. I feel I was bamboozled. I'm realizing the fault must be with me and my insufficient understanding of what religion stands for.

I've always thought religion was much more than just memorizing some quotes from a book. Again I'm not here to be funny, I'm here to learn, to grow. If someone on this site who is religious can help me, I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT. Was I misinformed about religion? Does it NOT mean being compassionate, caring, understanding, loving, sharing and OBJECTIVE? If it doesn't, what does it mean to be religious and what are the rules. I would like to know so I can gain a better
    understanding, and maybe I can change my views, so they don't come across as inconsiderate or insensitive.

Also I have another question for anyone subscribing to religion. I listed my five rules I follow:

1. love and compassion
    2. respect (of self, life, people, environment)
    3. giving without looking for something in return
    4. accountability/integrity
    5. righteousness and justice

Are these NOT good qualities to aspire too? Are they evil? Should I seek religion because what I'm thinking is wrong, that compassion, respect, giving and righteousness are not what I should be about?

Again ANY help in helping me understand what I should expect from religious people, will be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to understand/learn.

I apologize if I had it wrong all this time. I don't know everything and never will, but I not scared to learn.

Thanks, peace, power, love and strength.

Just a side note. Respect is #2 on my list. But if someone disrespects me, I hope they don't expect respect in return. You get what you dish out.

That last comment is just a general observation, NOT tied into a my religious statement.

2. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,015
    No brother you are not misinformed you are simply the victim of living in the Creflo Dollar , Sweet Daddy Mccough, Bishop Long, Steve Havey generation of so called Chrsitians, and the generation of I am muslim before I am Black Ilsamicists.

Had you grown up in the 60s you would have seen that love and compassion, in the Dr King, rev Adam Clayton Powell, Rev Galamson generation, of conscious raising and community activism

now everything is selfsihnes and self centeredness and ego

3. MS234

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,901
    Thank you for your comment and helping me to have better understanding of what I seek.
    I hope some more people who consider themselves religious can add to this and help us all grow.

Thanks again.

4. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,015
    From the problem I felt like this
    http://destee.com/index.php?threads/a-word-about-the-nation-of-gods-and-earths.62434/

The goal of white supremacy is not emotional it is scientific;

to not just mess with your mind but to enter your house and tamper with everything in it till you aint recognizing it or feeling ti anymore!

Mess with Black TV,
    Black radio,
    Black movies,
    Black religion,
    Black music,
    the food we eat.
    even the dawgone
    booze we drink.
    dry up Black libraries and Black book stores,
    till Donald Goines replaces Dr Ben,
    and bring the community to

as Orwell's Ministry of Truth in 1984 called it Peace is war and Love is hate!

That little trick really broke up many Black families in the early eighties!

You are a Black Nationalist and a Pan Africanist when you esouse these values

you cant help but to be;
    1. love and compassion
    2. respect (of self, life, people, environment)
    3. giving without looking for something in return
    4. accountability/integrity
    5. righteousness and justice

http://destee.com/index.php?threads/the-probelm-is-we-dont-accept-the-truths-of-our-religions.69083/

To be honest religious people should apologize to you, for not fully serving the community

5. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399

Welcome to Secular Humanism.

In all honesty, I think the problem there is that people don't like religion to be criticized because it's given a protected status. They also like to think of something they dedicate a significant amount of time and energy into is purely for the better, despite there being plenty of evidence to the contrary. That's just the reality of the matter.

Religions don't just say "try to be these things". They assume to have total control on the definitions of each of these words and the ways in which to be good. A lot of times they suggest things that have little to do with what constitutes as good, and unfortunately they often suggest things that a sensible person knows they are not good, but follows them anyway based on authority. They also provide imperatives for salvation that often don't really establish whether a person's reward indicates they've actually led a good life or not, especially in cases that religion prescribes cruelty and hatred as the just or good act.

They assume and assert that the criteria for these things is both external and eternal, and that a person cannot determine what's the right thing to do despite contrary to modern practice and numerous examples across time, places, peoples, and cultures.

To one side, it's just an intellectual exercise and a bit of free thought. To the other, it's offensive to question or criticize. I think this disconnect has always existed in levels of severity, even in the dialog between religions.

6. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,015
    Out of the 1200 members here, I would assume that 90% are Chritian and out of that 90% maybe 2% are religious.

The brothers point is well understood and apreciated.

He may be referring to those here who, have read five posts criticizing a particluar religion, then 40 posts saying the relgion is a lie, then for 3 years each and every day posts dawing that particular relgion while not expressing what their particular sprituality is, going into the Christian Study group and trying to pop ish, like the horde of racists that had to be cleaned up just now!
    As stated Aethieists have a tendency not to harp on religion day in and and day out, 24 hours a day 300 days a year, each and every year,
    they express their secular humanism within many various issues and concerns of the Black .

community.

People of a faith do not mind that faith criticized just as long as it does not become an endless mantra droning on without end, like some kind of fetish, then it seems to become hate.

And this section has a warning at the top, for a reason

7. MS234

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,901
    Thank you for you comment. I was looking for someone religious to respond. I wasn't criticizing, I was asking for clarification. I wanted to know was I given the wrong impression of religion, meaning I would told being religious meant being compassionate, caring, understanding, loving, sharing and objective? I wanted to know was I told wrong.

I've never understand this either.

8. MS234

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,901
    Well maybe those 2% can help me out. I know and respect a higher power. And I use my 5 rules to manifest that "power". I understand that power is good and bad. I rather spend my time making good with it.

I hear people here say don't "bash" my religion. I'm not bashing anything. I'm asking was I mislead on what being religious means. And if I was mislead, help me gain a better understanding on why being religious does not mean being compassionate, caring, understanding, loving, sharing and objective.

People are quick to defend their religion. I was hoping they would also be quick to uphold its' honor and tell me what it means to be religious and whether I should stop seeing it they way I was taught to do. (being compassionate, caring, understanding, loving, sharing and objective.)

Here's a thread where I'm apologizing for being mislead. I'm not mocking anything or anybody. This thread is sincere.

Can those who come to site proclaiming to be religious, I ask can you help me in my understanding. Not only am I asking for assistance, I'm asking for forgiveness. Maybe I was taught wrong, therefore I come across as insensitive to religions.

I was hoping for input from someone religious or someone who knows what being religious means.

9. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,015
    Going back to the concept of culture, times of much culture and the advantage of it, to times of creating cultures to times of no culture at all.

500 years ago we were a (ATR)religious people in the context, you mention.
    All of the principles you mention were as natural as getting up in the morning!

During the 50s to 70s some created cultures, like the NOI, were exceedingly religious and in a manifesting way, that inspired many churches to embrace the modality of practicing what one preaches in ones neighborhood and community.

During the late 70s and 80s the Ausar Auset communities and Smau Tauii, were and still are very religious.

However the term religious or holy roller is frowned upon, by many Black Christians, who dont desire to associate, unless in casual family situations with those who espouse the belief they are Christian first and Black second, and in Islam the term is looked at some times the same way, as Dr Khalid Muhammed , used the term Arabized Black folks, for those who say they are Muslim first and Balck second

the point is that of the two groups presently considered;
    1 Pentecostal Christians, the most presently religious, they mostly will not abide by the 5 principles you mentioned, unless for self or church interest, and have a disdain for anyone not "saved"
    and
    2 Sunni and Shiite Orthodox Muslims, will share those principles mostly amongst their own, and have disdain for anyone non muslim or of the book

The situation now among these two groups may have been much different during the 60s

10. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,015
    In the Ipad age, the only groups that are religious and practice
    among whoever they meet,
    the principles mentioned
    are Black Bhuddists, Ausar Auset, Smau Tauii, and NOI