Black People : Media pushing white men and black women relationships

Black/white relationships are indeed much more common; so are interracial relationships in general. They're not only more acceptable in entertainment but they're more acceptable by the general public, especially younger people. One member mentioned it earlier in this thread: unlike the black/white and other IR couples in the 60s and 70s on Tv and the movies, the fact that they are an IR couple is seldom mentioned.

I believe the motion picture industry refers to casting people in roles without considering race as "color blind casting." This is very common for children's programming. It's not uncommon to see people playing siblings and parents to be of a different race. (Look at the diverse cast when Brandy played Cinderella a few years ago.) The programs on Disney and Nick often feature a very diverse cast.

As far as the increase in WM/BF relationships in the media, I don't believe there's an agenda per se. I suspect young producers have finally opened their eyes to the beauty of black women--and other women of color. I for one believe that's a good thing.

??? Feel like "that"? I don't understand. Please explain.

I don't like movies with interracial coupling. I'm sure there are whites who don't like them either. I put my dislike of interracial movies on the same level as a member of a member of the kkk.
I'm trying to accept this new phenomenon, but I'm not there yet. I still feel some type of discomfort with interracial entertainment.

Black/white relationships are indeed much more common; so are interracial relationships in general. They're not only more acceptable in entertainment but they're more acceptable by the general public, especially younger people. One member mentioned it earlier in this thread: unlike the black/white and other IR couples in the 60s and 70s on Tv and the movies, the fact that they are an IR couple is seldom mentioned.

I believe the motion picture industry refers to casting people in roles without considering race as "color blind casting." This is very common for children's programming. It's not uncommon to see people playing siblings and parents to be of a different race. (Look at the diverse cast when Brandy played Cinderella a few years ago.) The programs on Disney and Nick often feature a very diverse cast.

As far as the increase in WM/BF relationships in the media, I don't believe there's an agenda per se. I suspect young producers have finally opened their eyes to the beauty of black women--and other women of color. I for one believe that's a good thing.

??? Feel like "that"? I don't understand. Please explain.

I wouldn't be that dismissive of color blind casting/ interracial casting. For producers and everyone involved in the money making end, the target audience is the first consideration, will it draw viewers or not. Will white view, Blacks, everybody?

I don't believe it's done without thought and meetings at every level. The problem for me is the Black entertainers that accept the roles. Usually so called "A" list Black actors.
The racial device still exist. Entertainment won't fix that, and I don't believe that's the intention. The entertainment industry is only about dollars.

OMG! Divide and Conquer...

I understand that you are presenting 'a neutral' summarization of what you see is going on, however, I'm not upset about these relationships, I'm upset because i know the media, government, and entertainment industry are doing this to continue to divide and conquer. This system and 'others', not the Black man initially, has elevated the White woman and instigated Black women into being suppressed and deprived of healthy loving relationships from both Black men and White men and other! And now this system is 'cashing in' [which is an old trick] on 'the Black woman who has been deprived for so long' in order to stir up anger in the Black woman and also this system is making attempts into guiding us to strike at the Black man, NOT THE INDUSTRY, NOT THE GOVERNMENT, NOT THE WHITE WOMAN, NOR THE WHITE MAN FOR their part in harming us, but just the BLACK MAN, and that is so sad. And what is also so funny is that most of these kind of Black men that make Black women angry for bonding with White women CAME FROM BLACK WOMEN [Black mothers]. I've asked many a Black women [mothers] how they feel about this issue in regards to their sons, and they support their sons decision.

Correction: my first sentence should have read the media portrays BW in these roles as a type of payback, etc, etc.

I don't think the entertainment industry has a political or social issue to divide and conquer except within the industry. The bone is thrown out and if a Black entertainer picks up the bone, then the politics of divide and conquer is in play. If you can watch Spike Lee's movie Bamboozled.
Some Black women have felt left out, less than, unattractive, watching the Black man with white women. Some Black women see the shows with BW/WM and feel better. The white man loves Black women, I've heard them say. The white man loves the Black woman with her natural hair and the Brothers don't. The media has ears called ratings. Black women watching these shows has led to creating more BW/WM shows.
I've bee married 27 years to a Black man.

I wouldn't be that dismissive of color blind casting/ interracial casting. For producers and everyone involved in the money making end, the target audience is the first consideration, will it draw viewers or not. Will white view, Blacks, everybody?

I don't believe it's done without thought and meetings at every level. The problem for me is the Black entertainers that accept the roles. Usually so called "A" list Black actors.
The racial device still exist. Entertainment won't fix that, and I don't believe that's the intention. The entertainment industry is only about dollars.
Sorry if my words made it appear I was being dismissive of color blind casting. In fact, I fully support the practive. I suspect one reason we're seeing more interracial relationships on the big and small screens is because such casting has been so prevalent and successful in children's programming--and because many of the producers of such programming have branched into other venues (Disney owns ABC and Marvel Comics, does it not?).

I agree, the entertainment industry wants to make money, and the producers see diverse casting as a way to do that. However, they recognize that diversifying their cast makes money because the public is accepting of these relationships (and is to some extent tantalized by them).

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

Blessings sent to all journeying in 2024 so far
Chevron Dove wrote on cherryblossom's profile.
Sis Cherryblossom,
hoping that you are at peace where ever you may be.
Back