Congo : Massacre in the Congo

More on the Congo!

About 80,000 people have been displaced by fighting in the north-east of the Democratic Republic of Congo this year, according to UN officials.
They say nearly half have fled Ituri region in the last four days.

Ituri is highly unstable, despite the presence of UN peacekeepers and a peace agreement designed to end Congo's five-year civil war.

The UN has warned of a humanitarian crisis in the region.

QUICK GUIDE

The war in DR Congo

Officials from the organisation say many of the newly displaced have travelled long distances on foot, taking with them only what they can carry.

UN peacekeepers have deployed in three new towns in recent weeks to try to protect civilians from attack.

But as they have done so, more people have arrived from surrounding areas seeking their protection.

Aid agencies are providing food, water and medical care in the areas safe enough to access.

The rebels were supposed to join the national army

The displacement follows renewed clashes between militias from the Hema and Lendu ethnic groups.

These groups have continued to fight for control over Ituri's natural resources, despite the official end of Congo's civil war two years ago.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4259171.stm

plague in the congo

This article was in my local paper over the weekend. I hope the rebal forces allow the Health organizations get to the area. It sounds like, if left untreated, this could turn into an epidemic.

GENEVA - An outbreak of plague at a diamond mine in Democratic Republic of Congo has killed 61 miners and infected hundreds, sparking a panicked exodus of thousands of people, health officials said on Friday.

The World Health Organization said it was dispatching a team of health experts this weekend to try to contain the highly contagious disease, which can kill its victim within 48 hours.

A 10-member WHO emergency team was leaving at the weekend with supplies of antibiotics to try to stem the outbreak and ensure that health workers in the region isolated suspect cases.

But the remote mine in mineral-rich Ituri, controlled by an unidentified armed group, is difficult to reach and the team will require U.N. security clearances, officials said.

Coming from a relatively peaceful country I hurt for my sisters and brothers going through war for one reason or another. I really do. I am aware of all the atrocities taking place and get regular updates at my job in a human rights organization. I am currently especially concerned about the plight of women and girls in Bukavu, having recently received a report on systematic rape and torture there. Sometimes I feel helpless. God help Africa.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back