Pan Africanism : Massacre in the Congo

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by panafrica, Feb 5, 2005.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Maybe this will shed more light on sister Abantu's passion/desperation to gain attention to her people's plight:

http://www.tehrantimes.com/Description.asp?Da=2/5/2005&Cat=4&Num=14

This is but a fraction of what is happening in this country, we do need to show more concern about genocide in Africa!

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    we need to pay more attention!

Kwango is doing the best that she can.
    we need to get over personalities and focus more on this situation.

3. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I agree.........

4. Kwango_Likemba

Kwango_Likemba Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +11
    Thank you for this important post brother Panafrica! The few posts about Congo posted on this site, and about Sudan, Liberia, Angola, Nigeria, Zimbabwe, Ivory Coast, Somalia who are in too much turmoil, are very much appreciated. As I have been telling you, the human rights crisis in my country is out of control, the militaries find wealth in wars exploiting DRC minerals and forcing civilians to be servants to their service.
    We need to support each group who are struggling around the world for our people. Solidarity is what brothers Panafrica and Jamesfrmphilly are doing. It is to try to rise beyond insensitivity and have interest in the plight of most Africans on the continent. For a successful Black Unity we need to stay informed. Too many women and children die like flies in Congo because of wars and lack of food, shelter, and medical care, especially in Easter Congo where there are natural wealth in abundance. I urge you to inform yourself with Amnesty International on the catastrophic situation in Congo. If you want and can work with them, or any honest humanitarian organization to ease the killings and human rights abuse in Africa, it would be a fantastic way to overcome evil in this part of the world. Thank you again for this post brother Panafrica.

5. Kwango_Likemba

Kwango_Likemba Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +11
    You can get a lot of information in this excellent website: http://www.globalissues.com/Geopolitics/Africa.asp

6. Seeley

Seeley Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the website page to go to for more information. I am aware of the happening in Africa, but it bothers me of the apathy that African-Amerians have towards the mother land, even if they were not born their, there skin and genes tell them who they are. I wish that I could be barried in Africa instead of this country.

Seeley

7. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    More on the Congo!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4259171.stm

8. indya

indya Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +23
    plague in the congo

This article was in my local paper over the weekend. I hope the rebal forces allow the Health organizations get to the area. It sounds like, if left untreated, this could turn into an epidemic.

GENEVA - An outbreak of plague at a diamond mine in Democratic Republic of Congo has killed 61 miners and infected hundreds, sparking a panicked exodus of thousands of people, health officials said on Friday.

The World Health Organization said it was dispatching a team of health experts this weekend to try to contain the highly contagious disease, which can kill its victim within 48 hours.

A 10-member WHO emergency team was leaving at the weekend with supplies of antibiotics to try to stem the outbreak and ensure that health workers in the region isolated suspect cases.

But the remote mine in mineral-rich Ituri, controlled by an unidentified armed group, is difficult to reach and the team will require U.N. security clearances, officials said.

9. fanyamambo

fanyamambo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Coming from a relatively peaceful country I hurt for my sisters and brothers going through war for one reason or another. I really do. I am aware of all the atrocities taking place and get regular updates at my job in a human rights organization. I am currently especially concerned about the plight of women and girls in Bukavu, having recently received a report on systematic rape and torture there. Sometimes I feel helpless. God help Africa.