Black Spirituality Religion : Marriage to Spirits - Vodou

I would also welcome any advice or suggestions on how to ignite some spiritual communication. I feel like I have a lot of deep spiritual questions about myself, my lineage, and my destiny. Yet, I do not really know how to go about getting the answers to such. Thanks again. :)

After posting my initial post, some thoughts entered my mind on some things you can possible do. You can take it for what it is.

Whenever you speak with your ancestors, try to burn a combination incense of some incense resins and herbs. You can burn either a combo of 3 resins or 2 resins and 1 herb or a total of 7 or 9 herbs and resins. Some really good herbs and resins for spiritual communication are:

1. Black copal - resin
2. Frankincense - resin
3. Myrrh - resin
4. Althea - herb
5. Cedar - herb
6. Anise - herb
7. Star anise - herb
8. Acacia - herb
9. Celery Seed - herb

Before speaking with your ancestors at night, take a cleansing bath. If you are curious about this, I can tell you the ingredients needed to make the bath and how to take the bath. Burn a white candle when talking to your folks at night and set out at minimum a glass of cool water. If you decide to cook a feast for your folks use a clean white cloth as the covering that you place the plate(s) on. Play music and dance for your folks. Talk to them like they are in the room with you and tell them whatever problems, issues, concerns, successes and happy moments that you may have. You can cry, laugh, express anger and joke but always be respectful - basically you never cursed in front of Madea when she was alive so don't start now. Greet and speak to your ancestors first thing in the mornings. Tell them what kind of day you wish to have. Even a simple "good morning Big Mama" is fine. Tell them about dreams you may had that night. They your folks so behave like they your folks like you talk with any living family member.

From my experience, meditation gets you no where with ancestral spirits. Don't get me wrong. You can sit with your eyes closed for a few moments if you like and just feel. But you don't have to clear your mind or none of that stuff. If your ancestors gone talk, they gone talk. Sorry, I didn't want to say this, but my folks are telling me to say this. Right now as I am typing this my people are talking to me. They are telling me what to write. I generally find that when your people start talking it is like something hits you all of a sudden, you kind of zone in if that makes sense and you can feel the messages coming to you and they are not your own. You may just randomly out the blue tell someone something.

At that moment that is your ancestors relaying a message through you from that person's ancestors as I am doing now. People talk and the ancestors are no different even if they are no longer on the physical plane. To give you an example I know this very spiritually talented sister. We first met on the phone. He have the same godfather in Vodou and I was over his house when she called. He passed me the phone saying, "I want you to speak with your god sister you haven't met yet." As soon as I got on the phone, I remember her saying confidently and firmly, "Indians, Indians... you have a lot of Indians around you." This is true. I do have a lot of Indian spirits around me. She told me that "not only are your African ancestors pushing to Vodou; your Indian ancestors are too." She continued "One of your ancestors was a medicine man." This I came to find out was true. This god sister always does this. About 5 years later, after I had moved I called her because we had not talked in a long time actually before my oldest daughter was born. While on the phone with her, my 3 year old daughter came down stairs. My god sister heard my daughter through the phone and immediately said, "Ah she looks so cute with her glasses on. She is a true daughter of Freda and she loves you so much." She had never seen my daughter, not even a picture. We haven't talked since my daughter was born so she wouldn't have known she wore glasses and my daughter is just like Freda. This is how it works. You just have to develop sensitivity and that comes with practice.

After posting my initial post, some thoughts entered my mind on some things you can possible do. You can take it for what it is.

Whenever you speak with your ancestors, try to burn a combination incense of some incense resins and herbs. You can burn either a combo of 3 resins or 2 resins and 1 herb or a total of 7 or 9 herbs and resins. Some really good herbs and resins for spiritual communication are:

1. Black copal - resin
2. Frankincense - resin
3. Myrrh - resin
4. Althea - herb
5. Cedar - herb
6. Anise - herb
7. Star anise - herb
8. Acacia - herb
9. Celery Seed - herb

Before speaking with your ancestors at night, take a cleansing bath. If you are curious about this, I can tell you the ingredients needed to make the bath and how to take the bath. Burn a white candle when talking to your folks at night and set out at minimum a glass of cool water. If you decide to cook a feast for your folks use a clean white cloth as the covering that you place the plate(s) on. Play music and dance for your folks. Talk to them like they are in the room with you and tell them whatever problems, issues, concerns, successes and happy moments that you may have. You can cry, laugh, express anger and joke but always be respectful - basically you never cursed in front of Madea when she was alive so don't start now. Greet and speak to your ancestors first thing in the mornings. Tell them what kind of day you wish to have. Even a simple "good morning Big Mama" is fine. Tell them about dreams you may had that night. They your folks so behave like they your folks like you talk with any living family member.

From my experience, meditation gets you no where with ancestral spirits. Don't get me wrong. You can sit with your eyes closed for a few moments if you like and just feel. But you don't have to clear your mind or none of that stuff. If your ancestors gone talk, they gone talk. Sorry, I didn't want to say this, but my folks are telling me to say this. Right now as I am typing this my people are talking to me. They are telling me what to write. I generally find that when your people start talking it is like something hits you all of a sudden, you kind of zone in if that makes sense and you can feel the messages coming to you and they are not your own. You may just randomly out the blue tell someone something.

At that moment that is your ancestors relaying a message through you from that person's ancestors as I am doing now. People talk and the ancestors are no different even if they are no longer on the physical plane. To give you an example I know this very spiritually talented sister. We first met on the phone. He have the same godfather in Vodou and I was over his house when she called. He passed me the phone saying, "I want you to speak with your god sister you haven't met yet." As soon as I got on the phone, I remember her saying confidently and firmly, "Indians, Indians... you have a lot of Indians around you." This is true. I do have a lot of Indian spirits around me. She told me that "not only are your African ancestors pushing to Vodou; your Indian ancestors are too." She continued "One of your ancestors was a medicine man." This I came to find out was true. This god sister always does this. About 5 years later, after I had moved I called her because we had not talked in a long time actually before my oldest daughter was born. While on the phone with her, my 3 year old daughter came down stairs. My god sister heard my daughter through the phone and immediately said, "Ah she looks so cute with her glasses on. She is a true daughter of Freda and she loves you so much." She had never seen my daughter, not even a picture. We haven't talked since my daughter was born so she wouldn't have known she wore glasses and my daughter is just like Freda. This is how it works. You just have to develop sensitivity and that comes with practice.

Thanks so much for your response.
I decided to try your suggestion of herbs and resins. I already had multiple Myrrh incense and oils. So I used that with some celery seed herb. I used both for a few days and on the night of the 8th I dreamed about my paternal grandfather. A great experience as I had never met him before (he died a few years before I was born.) I can't recall what we discussed but I remember the feeling of warmth and comfort in his presence. I wasn't scared at all and very much enjoyed the dream. I'm surely going to try using the other herb and resins you suggested.
I started talking to my ancestors A few days ago. I admit, at first I felt a bit silly. Yet, once I got over my western notions, and really became comfortable in my environment. I did feel a great peace over myself. I didn't feel so crazy speaking to people who's spirit I truly believed was present where I was.

I think it's amazing how in tune she was to what was going on around you. to the point where she could even see your surroundings and your family. I think that's such a gift.
I'm at a point where I want to have some supernatural dreams not only of my ancestors but about other spirits (lwa, deities, ect.) would this method work just as well for them? speaking to them as if they are present, using some herbs, and resin? Also have you heard of Luisah Teish? a friend of mine suggested I might purchase a book of hers.

Thanks so much for your response.
I decided to try your suggestion of herbs and resins. I already had multiple Myrrh incense and oils. So I used that with some celery seed herb. I used both for a few days and on the night of the 8th I dreamed about my paternal grandfather. A great experience as I had never met him before (he died a few years before I was born.) I can't recall what we discussed but I remember the feeling of warmth and comfort in his presence. I wasn't scared at all and very much enjoyed the dream. I'm surely going to try using the other herb and resins you suggested.
I started talking to my ancestors A few days ago. I admit, at first I felt a bit silly. Yet, once I got over my western notions, and really became comfortable in my environment. I did feel a great peace over myself. I didn't feel so crazy speaking to people who's spirit I truly believed was present where I was.

I think it's amazing how in tune she was to what was going on around you. to the point where she could even see your surroundings and your family. I think that's such a gift.
I'm at a point where I want to have some supernatural dreams not only of my ancestors but about other spirits (lwa, deities, ect.) would this method work just as well for them? speaking to them as if they are present, using some herbs, and resin? Also have you heard of Luisah Teish? a friend of mine suggested I might purchase a book of hers.

Ayibobo Marie85,

That is great news. I am sure that you are well on your way to a deeper relationship to your ancestors. Give thanks.

In regards to other spirits like the lwa, abosom or orisa, I would not try to approach them without some guidance. No, do not do anything with herbs, resins and the like. If any of these types of spirits seek your attention, trust me they will make it known. The rule of thumb is not to try to seek these types of spirits without them seeking you first. Many will pay you no mind. Plus you can open the doors for some unwanted entities to be attached to you and once that happens you will definitely need a priestess or priest. So just work with your folks and you can't go wrong.

I have heard of Luisah Teish and actually scanned through a book of hers once. I am not too keen on her though myself. She seems too new agey and fluffy bunny for my tastes. My path is a little more dark than hers. I wouldn't advise her book myself personally for newbies. A book I think you might enjoy however because it is a pretty good read is The Altar of my Soul by Marta Morena Vega. I don't tend to like how to books or "recipe" books because they are usually flavored with the author's personal opinion too much and their willingness to get creative and give you things that are more than authentic.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back