Computers - Software Hardware : Linux Distros and Unix OS's you love and and are not fond of :-)

Hey MANASIAC, I did use XFCE/Xubuntu for some time, I found something more in Gnome and something less in Openbox. Crunchbang has Openbox and is not bad at all. I wanted something I could put on an older laptop with short memory. Crunchbang is a Ubuntu remix.

Gorilla, I was looking at Artistx a DVD sized distro, Crunchbang was a big surprise, had just what I needed.

What exactly is it that you like about Crunchbang?

What exactly is it that you like about Crunchbang?

Crunchbang is lightweight out the box and based on Ubuntu releases. It's centered around the openbox floating WM instead of heavier resource hogs.
The downside of this distro is that it's behind in package versions, since the current release is based on 9.04 (Jaunty) still. Lately, I've been playing around with Arch linux -- which seems pretty nice.

In the Spirit of Sankofa and Real Truth!

Crunchbang is lightweight out the box and based on Ubuntu releases. It's centered around the openbox floating WM instead of heavier resource hogs.
The downside of this distro is that it's behind in package versions, since the current release is based on 9.04 (Jaunty) still. Lately, I've been playing around with Arch linux -- which seems pretty nice.

Another brilliant brother, ty Gorilla for matching up.

Every distro roller alive is calling their stuff lightweight, but the fact is it takes more than slapping a *box wm on your stuff and ditching a few gui themes and fart apps to be lightweight.

Arch is good stuff though, very good.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back