Computers - Software Hardware : Linux Distros and Unix OS's you love and and are not fond of :-)

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by MANASIAC, Mar 12, 2008.

1. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Hey Folks,

I noticed some activity on the linux threads and I wanted to start this one for users of linux and unix here are my favorites:

Debian - Simply the best to me, I like the package manager Apt, and I just enjoy the robustness of the core architecture. Most popular distros are built upon debian.

Studio64 - A distro created for multimedia users, it is an awesome distro and to me is better than Ubuntu Studio because it contains less bloatware.

Red Hat Enterprise - I am a Systems admin and I really enjoy the stability of our RHEL boxes, they are gangsta.

Solaris - What can I say, simply the best Unix platform.

Distros and Unix' versions that I am not fond of:

FreeBSD - Are you serious?
    Zeus - Come on man, this thing is not great
    SUSE Desktop - This thing is Cheesy, but Samba works out of the box and LAMP does for Enterprise version.

2. rnojonson

rnojonson Well-Known Member MEMBER

electrical draftsman/pc tech
    Ratings:
    +16
    Linuxville resident

I like Xubuntu, it is Debian inside, not weighed down by KDE or Gnome.

I also like Wolvix, it is Slackware, yet smallish, portable, snappy.

DreamLinux is OK!

Dynebolic is a spicy multimedia oriented Linux, very good.

Puppy Linux is very cool, cute, radical in design, simple to use.

FreeBSD, I don't like devils or their relatives.

Fedora, big iso files, RPM packaging kind of bug me.

3. MANASIAC

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
  4. rnojonson

Ratings:
    +16
    New Linux to play with.

Hey all, I just downloaded a new version of Ubuntu. It is called OpenGEU 7.10 and its claim to fame is a combo of Enlightenment 17 and Xfce on the desktop and Gnome libraries for support. It is said to be unstable, but I haven't installed it yet, only used the live-CD. It is quite snazzy in the looks out the box department, but for this old guy the menu fonts are a tad too small. I was thinking of putting it on my other machine, a 800mhz AMD with 256mb. The designer of this is an Italian artist who has some flair. The icon bar is pretty flashy and different than the one on the Macs. It is hard to imagine eye-candy working with a standard video card and 256mb of memory, but it's striking.

You know since using Linux I wonder what people get out of using MS Win (any flavor)? I once got rid of that green MS start button and tool bar, but a security patch added later broke it. I also can't understand why so many system admin and PC techs (including Linux server folks) say Linux is not ready for the desktop. I've been just a Linux user for a while and like the song, "all my problems seem to have gone away".

5. MANASIAC

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Hey R,

Windows despite how much I dislike it, has some advantages for some users. However, It is my hope that everyone can use Ubuntu who needs it. Here at my job I administer servers on different platforms, and all I know is that my Unix and Linux servers run the best LOL.

6. MANASIAC

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Man I really like the look of OpenGEU, If it can get stable anytime soon, I will drop it on my box.

7. rnojonson

Ratings:
    +16
    Ubuntu is cool

Yeah, openGEU is nice, Enlightenment can be amazing even without compositing. I have a GeForce 5200 video card and it doesn't do compositing too well. Gnome doesn't do it for me , KDE has too many buried tweaks, Xfce is just right except for that global transparency thing. There are a half a dozen or so icon bars that work with KDE, most require compositing. E17's icon bar comes as a stand alone but there is no .deb download file for it I can find.

My next project is to install XP as a virtual machine in Virtualbox, but I'm waiting for Ubuntu 8.04, It is suppose to have VM support built in. We will see.

Cute baby, needs a Tux plushy toy!!

8. rnojonson

Ratings:
    +16
    moving beyond trying Linux out

Hi all,
    I have dubbed my world "Linuxville" and am settling into using Linux full-time. In my neck of the hood we have a local computer users group, MS based of course. They are holding some Linux classes with the hope of splitting off to concentrate on Linux. I am the only black person there at present. Most of my darker associates, companions and relatives never even heard of or considered Linux. The MS and Mac brainwashing is so thorough. My Linux of choice is Ubuntu 8.04, known as Hardy Heron. Being one to tryout many Linux flavors, it is good to get into one and stay put for a while. From this vantage point I see that most of what some single out in other distros as advantages are available in Ubuntu in some form, and as always the applications are the same. There are no big differences between distros that warrant fanboy or fangirl zeal. If black folk want to get the leg up on the digital divide, get into programming, computer science, computer art, etc., Linux offers low to no investment on your part to acquire and use. Linux offers a fair amount of cross-platform file formats so you can communicate with MS or Mac folks. Linux offers the same tools for free that MS and Macs offer for a price. Learn to run in your Keds, if you want Nikes', you can always get them, but you have learned to run. The same is true with computer applications. OpenOffice.org has the same tools as MS Office. If you really need MS Office, pay for it, get it. OpenOffice.org has Linux and MS Windows versions, both are free. My intent is to actually use Ubuntu Linux daily and report my discoverys in my blog, http://www.arnoarts.blogspot.com. I really hope black folks can appreciate freedom from digital enslavement, product name-brand enslavement, end-user agreements, per user license cost, costly required upgrades, allegiance for product discount and support agreements and other legal bindings. Don't wait for master Gates or expect different from master Jobs, Linux is a bid for freedom of movement in a digital world.

9. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    Systems I've used and Liked:

Unix:

BSDs - My favorites out the back were OpenBSD and NetBSD.

OpenSolaris - Pretty good and completely available now. It seems like it's gotten more attention than it's previous closed incarnation. It was nice to see a SysV Unix transform into an open project.

Linux:

Slackware - one of my all time favorites still. I think Pat and the team really have done a stand up job.

Gentoo - a pretty great source-based distro. It became a little too time consuming to maintain for daily use.

Fedora - not one of my particular favorites, but it's a good enough distro. I stopped using it around core 5

OpenSuse - good solid distro.

Ubuntu - A decent enough distro. I'm not particularly a fan of Debian, but Ubuntu was pretty nice.

Some LiveCDs I like: Backtrack and Helix.

Currently Using -
    Mac OS X and Sabayon 4 (gentoo based distro)

10. dexxtreme

dexxtreme Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    My web server runs FreeBSD. My laptop and home workstation run Kubuntu (Ubuntu+KDE), and my other home servers run Slackware. I migrated my laptop and home workstation to Kubuntu because I finally got tired of Slackware's lack of a native package management system. I've been using Slackware full-time since 2002 or so, but I finally got tired of manually taking care of all of the various library dependencies and compiler settings when installing software.