Science and Technology : Linux is Not Windows

Yes but windows still is thee big boy on the block. Just about all software is written for windows first, then Mac.

In 2015 tablet sales will finally surpass PCs, fulfilling Steve Jobs’ post-PC prophecy

Zooming out, it’s important to note that both tablets and PCs are small fry compared to mobile phones. In 2015, Gartner is predicting 1.95 billion mobile phone sales — around 70% of which be smartphones. Furthermore, while Microsoft vehemently tries to nurse its ailing PC cash cow, Android is walking away with everything else: Of the 2.4 billion computers (PCs, tablets, phones) sold in 2014, a full 49% (1.17 billion) will run Android. In 2015, Gartner predicts that Android will stretch its lead to 53% (1.37 billion units shipped out of 2.59 billion total).

Bill Gates and the Microsoft Tablet PC prototype way back in 2010. In tech circles, we call this ‘dropping the ball.’

Almost all of these movements can be explained in terms of pricing. In most developed countries, tablet, and smartphone sales are already close to saturation. As hardware costs fall, though, developing nations are getting in on the action; in those countries, a $100 smartphone or tablet is a lot more attractive than a $200-300 laptop. Android, by virtue of being free, is the OS of choice for these cheaper devices. Apple’s laptops, smartphones, and tablets continue to do well in developed countries and among the nouveau riche in countries like China, but it’s nowhere near enough keep up with Google’s Android. Microsoft, with its tub full of lame ducks, is left wondering whether it can actually break into new markets — or whether conventional PCs are its lot in life.Article

What we have here is mobile vs Pc, and they both have their pros and cons. As your post is alluding to the number of mobile only users overtook desktop users. These are the people that are ot gamers (like me), don't run progs like autocad, photoshop, etc. from a phone. I agree (looking at Moor's law) that this is a trend that will get bigger lets say over the next 10 years? Right now both business and personal users are shifting away from being tethered to that desk. People love the idea of being able to access the internet any time from anywhere.

Now I can understand why Intel is shifting its focus away from PCs. Their PCs are proprietary machines, many folks like me don't buy them because of that fact. We like to build ours

Yeah...I have to show off my "Beast"....:lol:

images
images
cosmos-se-1b.jpg

Those are not my GPUs...this is, and I'm running 3 in SLI.

nvidia-geforce-gtx-760-asus.png

This is my gaming machine, I've maxed out my Ram to 64Gb on my MB. And this is why the death of PCs and laptops are a long way off. People like me can do more on this machines that on a phone, or tablet. Also, we have more real estate to work with. But I admit there is a differences between the desktop and the mobile experience.

Peace!

Yes but windows still is thee big boy on the block. Just about all software is written for windows first, then Mac.

That is part of the problem. This is aboUt MONEY!

I have a Linux administration book from 2000 that talks about the Planned Obsolescence of software. I tried to get a discussion going on a few "Black" websites about Black people standardizing on Linux. There was a Black Voices website but it was actually run by the Chicago Tribune. I didn't really expect any action as a result but I thought it would make a worthwhile discussion. I got about 3 responses.

But the size of the user base affects the amount of development done for the OS. But now Linux is in the Rspberry Pi and Beaglebone Black and IoT is taking off so MacroScam must try to invade that. It is about the MONEY.

Ignorance is expensive.

um

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back