Black People : How was the civil rights movement a grassroots effort

I read this earlier, tried to sleep on it, but it doesn't sit well with me. So, I ask, what do you think about Robinson's assessment?

I tried finding some related articles, all related to the "woman's liberation movement" and the white left. Is this what happens? Despite the grass roots efforts of black men at the time, we we get lumped together with the white male ruling class?

It seems then that we lost this war, if that is the case. All those efforts seemingly down the drain and now on the back burner while the LGBT agenda is at the fore. And I don't see them as a vanguard, revolutionary force in solidarity with us, Black men. Wow. What kind of class analysis is that? The little piece that I dead read by Robinson, she wrote a message to "poor Black men", blaming them for ....? As if poor Black men are power brokers in this society. smh.,,

=============================================
So, I ask, what do you think about Robinson's assessment?
- feminist literature has been written as far back as 1400 and well into today. Robinson's pamphlet came two years after NOW published their Bill of Rights. I am sure her and many others were aware and many participated. Their numbers were so large at given times they did not know how to handle the volume that wanted to register and participate.

The volume of literature can be found here that were written thru the ages.
  • The Tale of Joan of Arc, Christine de Pisan (1429)
  • The Adventure of the Black Lady, Aphra Behn (1640–1689)
  • The Double Task: The Struggle of Negro Women for Sex and Race Emancipation, Elise Johnson McDougald (1925)

• The National Organization for Women's 1966 Statement of Purpose, Betty Friedan (1966)

• National Organization for Women (N.O.W.) Bill of Rights (1968)

Is this what happens? Despite the grass roots efforts of black men at the time, we we get lumped together with the white male ruling class?
- This is pure fact Bro Omowale Jabali...

I read this earlier, tried to sleep on it, but it doesn't sit well with me.
- You nailed it in your sleep. I hope you did got some rest Bro. It is a very strong movement that will trump many efforts for years to unravel the struggle loose from the feminisist strong hold and the .

And I don't see them as a vanguard, revolutionary force in solidarity with us, Black men. Wow.
You are right again. But all is not lost. I do believe there is hope depending on how Black Men are able to garner a struggle that frees hold on him economically. Our Sister are with us. How long? Hard to say or imagine.. they do love us still just tired and weary like we are within the struggle. They were very instrumental in the entire struggle. Black Women convinced the slave holders wive's and other feminist to help break the chains. That held Blacks during Slavery.

Robinson and other feminist begun to question aggressive male domination and the class society which enforces it, capitalism."

I quote a another Black woman that said and I quote.

Another black woman, Margaret Wright, said she was not fighting for equality with men if it meant equality in the world of killing, the world of competition. "I don't want to compete on no damned exploitative level. I don't want to exploit nobody.... I want the right to be black and me...."

Should I say it.. women are organized and they have a power base, even today if you want to start a business and get the SBA to give you a loan. A women has the advantage. Black or White have this available. Many loans are very easy for her to get. Women and the SBA are hand in hand. So Brothers your spouse can help with the boot strap jump into economic Independence for herself and you.

It is a way Black Men / Women can use to get started economically. Helping their family and

================================
Bro Omowale Jabali. Thanks for follow up.
I did a search for information about Patricia Robinson and her pamphlet ( Poor Black Woman ).
That search I will continue. What I did find was interesting. She authored with two other Black Women Writers and they wrote an essay.

"A Historical and Critical Essay for Black Women", Patricia Haden, Donna Middleton, and Patricia Robinson (1969–1970 )

In this essay they wrote and expressed the authors undisguised opinions of the problems facing Black women in the 1970s.

Below is part of what Author James Axtell concluded about the essay after he read and did what he called a close read of the essay.
=============================================

http://www.drmasonsclasses.com/blackwomenwriters/archives/1588

Well-Behaved Women Rarely Make History

These authors believed and worked from the above quote.

Much of the strength and power of this essay by Patricia Haden, Donna Middleton, and Patricia Robinson is in its raw nature. This strength at times turns to a weakness as sourced material and research give way to passion, assumption, and personal opinions or bias.

“ A Close Read of “A Historical and Critical Essay for Black Women”

Patriarchy – (a social system in which men dominate ) a social system in which men are regarded as the authority within the family and society, and in which power and possessions are passed on from father to son.

This essay is genuine as it expresses the authors’ undisguised opinions of the problems facing black women in the 1970s. Many of the same issues face contemporary black women. The essay does create space for black women to operate through as they separate themselves from white and black patriarchy.

The solutions for women are simplified, and the arguments hyperbole, in an attempt to empower women to see the solution to their problems in their own control and to motivate them to take action.

The real issues are myriad and subtle in some cases and monolithic and simple in others.

The legacies of slavery, Jim Crow laws, discriminatory hiring practices, and racism have shaped the African-American national narrative. Patriarchy has written national narratives and hegemony has infiltrated the dreams of Americans.

Author James Axtell concluded

Casting off narratives is freeing but life in a narrative vacuum is disorienting and overwhelming.

If patriarchal narratives are a soup of wisdom, logic, fallacy, and control then the best way forward will be to keep the wisdom and logic of patriarchy while discarding the fallacies and control.

A wholesale discard of societal values will lead to thousands of years of unproductive effort to reinvent the wheel while a refusal to make changes moves no one forward.

Part of the current problem was spawned by the CRM. Meaning people fought for better "jobs" , and a better seat on the bus when they should have been creating jobs and manufacturing or at least owning buses etc.

Thanks Bro Therious
You are correct.

Blacks did fight and obtain jobs as drivers, and in many other area's that had been restricted to Blacks.
Some aspects of the movement where when several women feminist groups and other women saw an opportunity to exercising their agenda when the civil rights struggle launched.

There was a lot happening during that period and many saw an opportunity to launch other struggles that did dumb down all that truly could have been accomplished. The atmosphere flooded with activity and the struggle minimized.

What is CRM?

An essay by Philip S. Foner about the relation between the AFL-CIO unions and Black Americans in the 1970s.

IWW's efforts to organize black workers ... Organized labor and the black worker in the 1970s - Philip S. Foner ...​

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back