Black People : How was the civil rights movement a grassroots effort

I agree but some were stoned out. I know that up close and personal, which is why I had to leave some folks alone. As far as your initial question is concerned, Dr. King and others attempted to organize Black workers. Black students organized BSU's not only on university campuses but high schools as well. Community service groups organized pre schools and free breakfast programs. The list goes on. Today, this is what the Black church is dealing with.

http://atlantablackstar.com/2014/01/24/6-reasons-young-black-people-are-leaving-the-church/6/

Thanks Omowale
Today, this is what the Black church is dealing with.
your article I will read in it's entirety.

That is actually positive I just wrote a post I believe this what I was thinking or feeling they are changing what they do and accept.

http://destee.com/index.php?threads/we-have-to-change-what-we-do.79354/

In My Opinion the Civil Rights Movement sold out to capitalism……..

That they did jamesfrmphilly

Don't we sell out each day working for the boss?

I don't have it fully clear just yet but it is possible to change this. Whether the church is the way out the spiral is not in the mix. They are bought and sold. To the Christians and I consider myself one. You know GOD will move in your life. You know you must move first. You have to get up off of your lack of focus on him. Then you have to get up off your lack of action.

I won't say I'm a Christian and settle into the way people are suffering. I will say something, do something or get in the face of those who can and have influence. They need to say and at least provide me an answer to why they are being ( self-satisfied and unaware of possible dangers ) complacent. Folks thinking it is not me. Not in my house. Not even in my state. Then turning back to the game on TV or social network for so additional vegetation time.

I want to say. In the movie " Rise of Planet of the Apes' Caesar a monkey knew he was being treated bad.
He didn't want to get again in the car thru the back hatch door. So he opened passenger back door and climbed in and closed the door. He claimed his dignity. Then he signed. am I a " PET "

If you liked that movie a dam monkey has more dignity than human beings. I know it is just a movie. so is this nightmare. played over and over and needs a rewrite.

Caesar didn't get along as the man said with other chimps.
But he also said.
" Don't worry we will integrate him. "

ANY SIMILARITY TO LIFE?
=================

http://www.historyisaweapon.com/defcon1/zinn17explo.html

Chapter 17: "Or Does It Explode?"

The black revolt of the 1950s and 1960s-North and South-came as a surprise. But perhaps it should not have. The memory of oppressed people is one thing that cannot be taken away, and for such people, with such memories, revolt is always an inch below the surface. For blacks in the United States, there was the memory of slavery, and after that of segregation, lynching, humiliation. And it was not just a memory but a living presence-part of the daily lives of blacks in generation after generation.

In the 1930s, Langston Hughes wrote a poem, "Lenox Avenue Mural":
What happens to a dream deferred?
Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore-
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over-
like a syrupy sweet?
Maybe it just sags like a heavy load.
Or does it explode?

And so the United States went ahead to take small actions, hoping they would have large effects. Congress did not move to enact the legislation asked for by the Committee on Civil Rights. But Truman—four months before the presidential election of 1948, and challenged from the left in that election by Progressive party candidate Henry Wallace—issued an executive order asking that the armed forces, segregated in World War II, institute policies of racial equality "as rapidly as possible." The order may have been prompted not only by the election but by the need to maintain black morale in the armed forces, as the possibility of war grew. It took over a decade to complete the desegregation in the military.
Truman could have issued executive orders in other areas, but did not. The Fourteenth and Fifteenth Amendments, plus the set of laws passed in the late 1860s and early 1870s, gave the President enough authority to wipe out racial discrimination.

The Constitution demanded that the President execute the laws, but no President had used that power. Neither did Truman. For instance, he asked Congress for legislation "prohibiting discrimination in interstate transportation facilities"; but specific legislation in 1887 already barred discrimination in interstate transportation and had never been enforced by executive action.

==================

Countee Cullen's poem "Incident" evoked memories-all different, all the same-out of every black American's childhood:
Once riding in old Baltimore,
Heart-filled, head-filled with glee,
I saw a Baltimorean
Keep looking straight at me.
Now I was eight and very small,
And he was no whit bigger,
And so I smiled, but he poked out
His tongue, and called me, "******,"
I saw the whole of Baltimore
From May until December;
Of all the things that happened there
That's all that I remember.

The above is HISTORY. If you discount it and read and speak of KINGS of old.
Then your busy remembering what you read because your not that old. Make your own History.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back