Pan Africanism : How Does the Afrikan world view Ktrina???

atomicangel said:
i'm not trying to cause an argument when i say this but:
i understand that because a lot of Africans in Africa do not receive basic education and are not literate they may not know about African Americans but i have had people tell me that when they went to the USA some AAs were so shocked to hear that there are even Black people in Britain (i know this from personal experience and the experience of close friends). So, although I understand what you're saying, I find it quite sad that some AAs do not even know what's going on around the world and believe that the 'world' is the USA.
And it would be nice for hip hop to spread the knowledge of AAs existence to more of Africa and the rest of the world, but wouldn't it also be nice if African music and culture could reach you and teach some of you a little bit more about Africa than you already know?
and again, i'm not trying to be controversial, but i would like to know how you think that the knowledge of AAs existence, will benefit Africans?

and i'm really not trying to cause an argument and would be interested in anyone's reply to my questions.

atomic angel,

I agree. By the way, do you live in the UK?

omowalejabali said:
atomic angel,

I agree. By the way, do you live in the UK?

You and Atomic angel are examples of why we black people all over have a long way to go in terms of reaching out. Such are the generalizations of a whole continent and so wrong are the views, that I almost exploded in anger.
I have painfully researched and posted articles which addressed the topic and I still have the likes of Atomic Angel and you make such statements.

I am taking you to task because I honestly had felt that you were a wise old man from your icon. Infact I was curious about your very well chosen name because of what it meant (thats if you actually know the meaning of "omowale"). Remember I asked you once about it. Omowale means the child who came home. It means that you heard the call of your ancestral roots and you heed to it. Hearing the call of your ancestral roots does not necessarily mean you embrace and move back to africa. But rather that you discovered that you have a past and the past you know who you are.

It just seems the more I read your posts, the more dissapointed I become, honestly. Both you and atomic angel seem to be agreeing on Bat Squeeze (a gentle was of saying B.S). Which part of Africa are you talking about when you say "alot of africans are not educated". Could you be more specific? Africa is a diverse place with places like Rwanda hardly comparing to Ghana. And why would hip hop be the perfect source of enlightenment? Will that make 50cents the Dean of this Faculty of African Enlightenment by Hip Hop? Oh wait...South Africans are supposed to be like you because they were hip!! I guess culture of gangsterism brings such enlightenment to Africa in more ways than you can imagine.

For you and atomic angel to sit down and do wrong armchair analysis of Africa is disingenuous amd condescending at best. (Did you forget how hard the media has worked in telling you what is beautiful and what is ugly? Even I find myself heeding to the American standarsds of beauty sometimes.) I can produce more than a sixteen articles which showed the anger of the "illiterate and uneducated" african lot over the maltreatment of Katrina victims.

I think we should all make the effort to reach out to one another on both sides (make that three to include those ones in Britain. I heard their self hatred reaches unbelievable proportions.) And to be able to reach out, we need to reach out with open mind. I think Fela Kuti once said it best when he said:" I want you africans to listen to me as africans. And you non-africans to listen to me with open mind".

militant said:
You and Atomic angel are examples of why we black people all over have a long way to go in terms of reaching out. Such are the generalizations of a whole continent and so wrong are the views, that I almost exploded in anger.
I have painfully researched and posted articles which addressed the topic and I still have the likes of Atomic Angel and you make such statements.

I am taking you to task because I honestly had felt that you were a wise old man from your icon. Infact I was curious about your very well chosen name because of what it meant (thats if you actually know the meaning of "omowale"). Remember I asked you once about it. Omowale means the child who came home. It means that you heard the call of your ancestral roots and you heed to it. Hearing the call of your ancestral roots does not necessarily mean you embrace and move back to africa. But rather that you discovered that you have a past and the past you know who you are.

It just seems the more I read your posts, the more dissapointed I become, honestly. Both you and atomic angel seem to be agreeing on Bat Squeeze (a gentle was of saying B.S). Which part of Africa are you talking about when you say "alot of africans are not educated". Could you be more specific? Africa is a diverse place with places like Rwanda hardly comparing to Ghana. And why would hip hop be the perfect source of enlightenment? Will that make 50cents the Dean of this Faculty of African Enlightenment by Hip Hop? Oh wait...South Africans are supposed to be like you because they were hip!! I guess culture of gangsterism brings such enlightenment to Africa in more ways than you can imagine.

For you and atomic angel to sit down and do wrong armchair analysis of Africa is disingenuous amd condescending at best. (Did you forget how hard the media has worked in telling you what is beautiful and what is ugly? Even I find myself heeding to the American standarsds of beauty sometimes.) I can produce more than a sixteen articles which showed the anger of the "illiterate and uneducated" african lot over the maltreatment of Katrina victims.

I think we should all make the effort to reach out to one another on both sides (make that three to include those ones in Britain. I heard their self hatred reaches unbelievable proportions.) And to be able to reach out, we need to reach out with open mind. I think Fela Kuti once said it best when he said:" I want you africans to listen to me as africans. And you non-africans to listen to me with open mind".

No need to get personal.

When exactly did I say "alot of Africans are not educated".And if I did, are you saying that illiteracy is NOT a problem in the Black community?

If so, why are folks so fond in quoting how "My people are destroyed for a lack of knowledge".

Why are high school drop out rates so high among Black youth?

Armchair analysis?

What exactly are you doing any different?

My conclusions are based on 20 years of teaching predominantly inner city Black and Latino youth and my interaction with African people from every part of the globe.

So now you wanna blame hip hop like C. Delores Tucker?

Perhaps you need to explain your problem to Dead Prez, Public Enemy, Mos Def, Talib Kweli and others at the next Black August program in support of Black Political Prisoners.

While you might have had other things in mind when you agreed with her, i dont think she means the same things you meant. You were aware of her statements "alot of Africans are undeducated". That statement shows you the basic impression of africa that black britons I have come across have. Thast incase you are not aware of the impression of many of them. I believe its due to years of living in the captial of colonialism and white racism, Great Britain. And I believe such views should be challenged and not agreed with.

I myself I am a fan of the old hip hop, back when it had a message. Back when they preached to my lost soul. Nowadays, its allabout getting the hippest beats to make the best selling hits.

omowalejabali said:
No need to get personal.

When exactly did I say "alot of Africans are not educated".And if I did, are you saying that illiteracy is NOT a problem in the Black community?

If so, why are folks so fond in quoting how "My people are destroyed for a lack of knowledge".

Why are high school drop out rates so high among Black youth?

Armchair analysis?

What exactly are you doing any different?

My conclusions are based on 20 years of teaching predominantly inner city Black and Latino youth and my interaction with African people from every part of the globe.

So now you wanna blame hip hop like C. Delores Tucker?

Perhaps you need to explain your problem to Dead Prez, Public Enemy, Mos Def, Talib Kweli and others at the next Black August program in support of Black Political Prisoners.

militant said:
While you might have had other things in mind when you agreed with her, i dont think she means the same things you meant. You were aware of her statements "alot of Africans are undeducated". That statement shows you the basic impression of africa that black britons I have come across have. Thast incase you are not aware of the impression of many of them. I believe its due to years of living in the captial of colonialism and white racism, Great Britain. And I believe such views should be challenged and not agreed with.

I myself I am a fan of the old hip hop, back when it had a message. Back when they preached to my lost soul. Nowadays, its allabout getting the hippest beats to make the best selling hits.

"Thast incase you are not aware of the impression of many of them."

Interesting that you would argue against generalizing concerning continenetal Africans while generalizing concerning Black Britons.

The sister made two valid points concerning AAs being more open and accepting of African music.

I frequent numerous websites an am quite aware that Black in Britain have a diversity of opinion as do Africans born in every part of the globe. I have good friend who is a musician and has lived in the UK for the past 20 years. I have other family who moved from New York to London years ago and know that the music scene is open to more forms of African music and various forms of hip hop/trip hop/jungle/drum & bass as well as reggae and Afro_pop.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back