Black Entertainment : Hollywood’s Blacks: Servants, Slaves, Ghetto Moms and Thugs

Clyde C Coger Jr

PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
In the Spirit of Structural Racism,

Hollywood’s Blacks: Servants, Slaves, Ghetto Moms and Thugs

rtr3fy6u.jpg

Lupita Nyong'o accepts the award for Best Supporting Actress for her role in "12 Years a Slave" at 2014's Academy Awards ceremony in Hollywood. The absence of black Oscar nominees comes after decades of demeaning stereotyping, the author writes. LUCY NICHOLSON

While working with two black co-workers a few years ago, the topic of black history came up and we decided to challenge each other. Although they were a few years away from graduating from college, I realized they had limited knowledge about the achievements of historically important black Americans.

I was surprised they did not know the answer to questions such as, “Who was the first black female millionaire?" and "Who was Benjamin Banneker?” I was shocked at the answers I received.

After thinking about this I realized their lack of knowledge was certainly not related to intellect but was a result of our culture, where the achievements of historically important blacks are absent ...

http://www.newsweek.com/hollywoods-blacks-servants-slaves-ghetto-moms-and-thugs-308436

Oscar protest planned over all-white nominees

"The goal of the protest is to send a message to the Academy, send a message to Hollywood, send a message to the film industry," said Earl Ofari Hutchinson, head of the LA Urban Policy Roundtable group.

"And the message is very simple: you don't reflect America, your industry doesn't reflect America. Women, Hispanics, African-Americans, people of color (are) invisible in Hollywood."

http://news.yahoo.com/oscar-protest-planned-over-white-nominees-085942047.html

d8090e8924940c50ccdc9adfa7239564bfd5d181.jpg

Halle Berry and Denzel Washington were famously lauded as having made a breakthrough for winning best actress and actor Oscars in 2002 (AFP Photo/Lee Celano)

John Legend and Common: more black men are in correctional control now than were enslaved in 1850

... After receiving the Oscar for Best Song for "Glory" from Selma, John Legend gave an impassioned speech calling out the present-day state of affairs for African Americans. One line stood out: "We live in the most incarcerated country in the world. There are more black men under correctional control today than there were under slavery in 1850."

http://www.vox.com/2015/2/23/8088989/john-legend-oscars-speech-quote

150222_common_john_legend_gty_629_956x519.jpg

Common, John Legend - Glory (57th GRAMMYs)

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back