Great shows for children

As a grandparent, now having occasion to watch TV with my grandson (3 yrs old), I am amazed at the variety of quality shows that focus on learning -- Blues Clues, Sesame Street, many Nickelodean productions, SpongeBob Squarepants, Barney, Electric Company, etc. My advice to parents is something that my daughter and son-in-law have done. They first watch all of the shows with our grandson, and make a list of those he likes. They also have purchased videos of shows that have particular value.

The outcome is that they have a "list of shows" from which he can choose -- times and days, etc. The list is posted on the wall in his bedroom, along with the schedule. He only watches TV according to the schedule. They don't just turn the TV on and let it play -- which exposes him to everything. Then managing the list is more difficult. So, now he knows when it is his time to watch TV. If there is nothing broadcast when he wants to watch, they resort to the videos that they have purchased, and he gets to choose from one of those. At age three, he has learned his alphabet, recognizes many words, he can count (really), and he has develooped a sense of geography. He knows what animals are in Africa, North America, etc.

THE TV IS NOT AN ENTERTAINMENT BOX -- IT IS AN ENTERTAINING EDUCATION TOOL. WHEN MANAGED BY PARENTS, IT HAS GREAT VALUE.

Thuso

Nita said:
Being a parent I am very concrned about the types of shows my children watch. I know we can't be with our childrn 24/7 but what are some of the positive television show you recommend for children?

Here's one of the show I like to watch with my children and it was created by a black woman...go girl!

http://www.nickjr.com/home/shows/backyardigans/about/back_meet_creators.jhtml

Thuso said:
As a grandparent, now having occasion to watch TV with my grandson (3 yrs old), I am amazed at the variety of quality shows that focus on learning -- Blues Clues, Sesame Street, many Nickelodean productions, SpongeBob Squarepants, Barney, Electric Company, etc. My advice to parents is something that my daughter and son-in-law have done. They first watch all of the shows with our grandson, and make a list of those he likes. They also have purchased videos of shows that have particular value.

The outcome is that they have a "list of shows" from which he can choose -- times and days, etc. The list is posted on the wall in his bedroom, along with the schedule. He only watches TV according to the schedule. They don't just turn the TV on and let it play -- which exposes him to everything. Then managing the list is more difficult. So, now he knows when it is his time to watch TV. If there is nothing broadcast when he wants to watch, they resort to the videos that they have purchased, and he gets to choose from one of those. At age three, he has learned his alphabet, recognizes many words, he can count (really), and he has develooped a sense of geography. He knows what animals are in Africa, North America, etc. THE TV IS NOT AN ENTERTAINMENT BOX -- IT IS AN ENTERTAINING EDUCATION TOOL. WHEN MANAGED BY PARENTS, IT HAS GREAT VALUE.

Great advice brother Thuso....I agree 100%!

Thuso

This is so true. I too watch and the shows my children are allowed to see. One thing I have noticed is, there are many cartoon shows out there that are not suitable for children. Some parents think just because it's a cartoon, it's ok...not so. Just watch some of the shows on Cartoon Network. I don't like the cartoon Recess either. There are many good, funny quality shows out there for our children..lol..Infact, I believe I enjoy watching them more than they do.

you know...

I hated Mr. Rogers as a kid. He was this skinny white man doing a show with these ugly puppets and I just didn't care for it and never cared that my children didn't watch it. Recently, my 3 year old was watching PBS. We caught a episode of Mr. Rogers and I must say I enjoyed it. The show had this black kid on it that could break dance. Mr. Rogers acted very interested and even danced, it was a sight seeing him trying to learn the dances that came years after his generation. He does shows with people of different races and how even tho our cultures are different we can all learn from eachother. I know I didn't give Mr. Rogers his props before he passed some time ago but gr8 show Mr. Rogers and welcome to the list of Gr8 shows for kids.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back