Black People : Black Men in Interracial Relationship STATS

Riada

REGISTERED MEMBER
May 14, 2005
This post was initially a response in another thread, but I think it warrants a thread of its own because the relatively high rate and climbing at which Black men in the U.S. marry white and other women has a DIRECT relationship to the marriage prospects of Black women who want to marry a Black man. These stats say nothing about the number of Black men who date nonBlack women.

All of this is occuring at a time when there is already a shortage of Black men. According to the Washinton Post article (link below): For every 100 single black women, there are 70 single black men, according to recent U.S. Census Bureau figures, a number that does not take into account the prison population or men living in group homesmen.

I went and got the stats posted by the U.S. Census Bureau as cited by this Washington Post article (link below) re the 9.7 % of Black men in 2000 who were interracially married to white or other nonBlack women in this country.

The POST said:

According to the 2000 census, black men enter interracial marriages at a higher rate -- 9.7 percent -- than any other racial or gender group except Asian women. That's twice the rate of black women.
The Washington Post published this article (link below) in Oct. 2006 on the subject of the black male shortage and its crushing impact on the dating/marriage prospects of Black women who are looking for a Black man.

I’m also citing some stats from The Michael Eric Dyson Reader published in 2004 regarding Black men in interracial relationships. For those who might doubt what I say, get this book, and look on p. 159. Keep in mind that Dyson's figures are 1990 figures.

So we can see from Dyson's stats that Black men were outmarried at 8% and in 1990 and then that figure increased to 9.7% in 2000. That’s an increase of 1.7% in 10 years. I also want y’all to take note of the TYPE of Black men who are marrying these other women. These Black men DO NOT tend to be the down-and-out- brotha types: chronically unemployed, substance abuser, high-school dropouts, etc. They are the so-called “quality” Black man or more educated, middle class or wealthy type.

This is why I said yesterday that as Black America produces more middle class and upscale Black men, more and more of these men tend to date and marry nonBlack women.

THEREFORE
I don’t think it’s fair for these same men to then expect Black women to financially support their businesses/projects/other achievements or to defend them when they have problems with the system.

I think it’s only fair for them to INSTEAD expect the white, Asian, or other nonBlack community they married into, to financially and otherwise support and/or defend them since those are the women they love and the communities they are supporting.

IMO Black women should NOT support Black men who apparently don't love and support us. I realize that some sistahs may just want to "turn the other cheek" and still support these brothas, but turning the other cheek will not enhance the survival of Black women.

Y’all can hate me, accuse me of being divisive or accuse me of being a Black-man hater all you want, but these men are depriving Black women of husbands and fathers for their children. They are also providing or helping to provide a lifestyle for a white, Asian or other nonBlack woman that they are apparently NOT willing to provide for a Black woman.

Michael Dyson says:

-8% of married black men in 1990 between the ages of 25-34 were married to white or “other” women compared to 4% of white men in the same age cohort.

-In the Pacific Northwest states (e.g. Oregon, Washington, etc.) 32% of married black men were married to non-black women.

-In California, 20% of married black men were married to white and other women.

-In the Rocky Mountain states, 30% of black married men were married to non-black women.

-In New England States, 19% of black married men were married to non-black women.

-In military, 14% of black married men had non-black wives.

-10% of black male college grads were married to non-black women.

-13% of black males with a graduate degree were married to non-black women.

-Overall 200, 000 black married men in 1990 were married to white and “other” women.

Now here's the link to the Washington Post article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...100701070.html

I think it's crucial that these stats are not minimized as it seems that they usually are. I've noticed a pattern in this regard:

1. Some Black men tend to deflate these stats.

2. The term "Black" has a very common definition as it’s used by most folks in North America where most of us live and operate. Yet, some so-called "Black-conscious" Black men seem to be pulling more and more nonBlack women into the Black woman category apparently because these nonBLack women appeal to them, therefore they have to make these women Black, which allows this “conscious” brotha to then drool over these obviously nonBlack women and still keep his Black-conscious reputation.

I will also cite the references regarding the 50% of Black doctors and lawyers who marry white and other women.

Riada said:
This post was initially a response in another thread, but I think it warrants a thread of its own because the relatively high rate and climbing at which Black men in the U.S. marry white and other women has a DIRECT relationship to the marriage prospects of Black women who want to marry a Black man. These stats say nothing about the number of Black men who date nonBlack women.

All of this is occuring at a time when there is already a shortage of Black men. According to the Washinton Post article (link below): For every 100 single black women, there are 70 single black men, according to recent U.S. Census Bureau figures, a number that does not take into account the prison population or men living in group homesmen.

I went and got the stats posted by the U.S. Census Bureau as cited by this Washington Post article (link below) re the 9.7 % of Black men in 2000 who were interracially married to white or other nonBlack women in this country.

The POST said:

According to the 2000 census, black men enter interracial marriages at a higher rate -- 9.7 percent -- than any other racial or gender group except Asian women. That's twice the rate of black women.
The Washington Post published this article (link below) in Oct. 2006 on the subject of the black male shortage and its crushing impact on the dating/marriage prospects of Black women who are looking for a Black man.

I’m also citing some stats from The Michael Eric Dyson Reader published in 2004 regarding Black men in interracial relationships. For those who might doubt what I say, get this book, and look on p. 159. Keep in mind that Dyson's figures are 1990 figures.

So we can see from Dyson's stats that Black men were outmarried at 8% and in 1990 and then that figure increased to 9.7% in 2000. That’s an increase of 1.7% in 10 years. I also want y’all to take note of the TYPE of Black men who are marrying these other women. These Black men DO NOT tend to be the down-and-out- brotha types: chronically unemployed, substance abuser, high-school dropouts, etc. They are the so-called “quality” Black man or more educated, middle class or wealthy type.

This is why I said yesterday that as Black America produces more middle class and upscale Black men, more and more of these men tend to date and marry nonBlack women.

THEREFORE
I don’t think it’s fair for these same men to then expect Black women to financially support their businesses/projects/other achievements or to defend them when they have problems with the system.

I think it’s only fair for them to INSTEAD expect the white, Asian, or other nonBlack community they married into, to financially and otherwise support and/or defend them since those are the women they love and the communities they are supporting.

IMO Black women should NOT support Black men who apparently don't love and support us. I realize that some sistahs may just want to "turn the other cheek" and still support these brothas, but turning the other cheek will not enhance the survival of Black women.

Y’all can hate me, accuse me of being divisive or accuse me of being a Black-man hater all you want, but these men are depriving Black women of husbands and fathers for their children. They are also providing or helping to provide a lifestyle for a white, Asian or other nonBlack woman that they are apparently NOT willing to provide for a Black woman.

Michael Dyson says:

-8% of married black men in 1990 between the ages of 25-34 were married to white or “other” women compared to 4% of white men in the same age cohort.

-In the Pacific Northwest states (e.g. Oregon, Washington, etc.) 32% of married black men were married to non-black women.

-In California, 20% of married black men were married to white and other women.

-In the Rocky Mountain states, 30% of black married men were married to non-black women.

-In New England States, 19% of black married men were married to non-black women.

-In military, 14% of black married men had non-black wives.

-10% of black male college grads were married to non-black women.

-13% of black males with a graduate degree were married to non-black women.

-Overall 200, 000 black married men in 1990 were married to white and “other” women.

Now here's the link to the Washington Post article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...100701070.html

I think it's crucial that these stats are not minimized as it seems that they usually are. I've noticed a pattern in this regard:

1. Some Black men tend to deflate these stats.

2. The term "Black" has a very common definition as it’s used by most folks in North America where most of us live and operate. Yet, some so-called "Black-conscious" Black men seem to be pulling more and more nonBlack women into the Black woman category apparently because these nonBLack women appeal to them, therefore they have to make these women Black, which allows this “conscious” brotha to then drool over these obviously nonBlack women and still keep his Black-conscious reputation.

I will also cite the references regarding the 50% of Black doctors and lawyers who marry white and other women.

:lol:

"They are the so-called "quality" Black man or more educated, middle class or wealthy type".

The point I am going to make here, is that these same "quality" Black men do NOT expect you to "financially support their business/projects/other achievements or to defend them when they "have problems with the system".

The past year has painfully taught me, especially within this current month, that many of these same men MAKE IT WITHOUT YOU and tend to go to "others" after years trying to and not recieving SUPPORT FROM BLACK WOMEN EVEN WITHIN THEIR OWN FAMILIES AFTER YEARS OF TRYING TO REMAIN FAITHFUL.

I am speaking personal, LIFE EXPERIENCE, and I thank YOU in particular for helping me to finally make the decision to no longer expect to find a supportive so-called "quality" black woman to build my own Business Empire.

I also thank you for DEBUNKING THE MYTH that these same men are financial "losers" and "undesireables" which I am certain was not the same point YOU made yesterday.

The thing is as someone else pointed out to me concerning karma, this also DEBUNKS THE MYTH that these men also also are hooking up with "trashy whitwe women" when they actually are hooking up with nonBlack women with a similar educational level and social status.

The only one depriving Black women of anything are the black women DRIVING these men into the arms of other women with your HATEFUL ATTITUDES and LACK OF EMOTIONAL AND SPIRITUAL SUPPORT. In fact, MOST of YOU fail to acknowledge that ehse men even exist which is why YOU refer to them as "so-called "quality".

I am finallly done speaking concerning this "lack of support" and also with debating these issues.

The reason I came back to this community was to FINANCIALLY SUPPORT A BLACK WOMAN who is about "building and uplifting" but topics such as this ARE divisive and actually, I have engaged in better presented arguments on Black Planet, where at least I KNOW what folks look like.

O...

Instead of given up on Black women, maybe you should seek Black women in your field of interest...which I believe is music. I think you will find a Black woman who is more geered toward similar goals as you and would be more willing to help you in those endeavors if she has those same interests. I would think that a Black woman who's a doctor would "naturally" be more supportive of a Black man who's in medicine than one who is in the music industry. For example, a Black woman who is an entertainment lawyer, a song writer, or producer would best fit into your dreams within the music industry than a doctor, a Mathematics Professor or a corporate manager/business owner. I can even see you developing a beautiful relationship with a Black women who's a movie director.

Black women who support Black men do exist. You just have to find one that has similar interests as yours. That's just my view on your personal situation.

A side note: We must also understand what each of us have gone through in life to get to where we are professionally, mentally, spriritually. ALL of us are struggling, fighting to make our dreams come true and in the process advance our people...to make our people proud. Let's not forget we ALL hurt. So, when you meet this woman, bruh, don't just act like she's going to fall in line with your plans. You have to show her...in a nurturing way...that this is how you see her fitting into your life WITHOUT giving up her dreams. Now that's a match made in heaven. You deserve her support and she deserves your understanding. Give it to her.

She's out there, bruh. Go and get her.

Peace.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back