Black People : Biracial? or Black?

My understanding of biracial is having two parents of different races. In this instance I was specifically speaking of having one parent that is black and the second parent of another race.

I guess this topic is more complex than I originally thought. I did not take into consideration the following perceptions. Some people believe...

1. There is no such thing as race.
2. One can have a great, great, great grandmother that is white (or non-black) and that makes one "mixed" or "biracial"
3. Some people are offended by the term "biracial" all together (although I am not sure why)

I was also making an assumption that black people have a collective voice and that we have a community. Some of us do not see us as a community, only individuals who have no connection to each other, no culture, and no traditions. For some, it is ok to talk about the collective views of blacks in countries like Brazil, but not a collective view of blacks in America.

I guess I can only ask the question about community values, beliefs, and traditions amongst those who see blacks as having a community. I really am not even asking what the majority of the community should value. I just wanted to know what the majority of the community does value.

I don’t think it’s simple any more. In the past in the U.S. if you looked black (figures) then you were black. I think it’s still this way for the most part. Some people do see themselves as mixed and say they are biracial. I don’t see tiger woods as a black man. To me he is very mixed. And though Obama looks like a black man, he did not grow up as a black man. So I see him as a product of a biracial marriage.

A lot has to do with how one’s society sees things. In Puerto Rico it’s a bit different, in that if you are mixed you are neither black nor white. They even created different names for the different levels of mixing between the so called races. This whole issue will always depend on cultural dictates.

AXE!

If this topic has been discussed ad nauseum, pls forgive me and point me in the direction of the relevant thread. (I don't think that I can do a search just yet)

I just wanted to know if it’s ok in today's time that biracial people have their own identity? Or do most black people still think that they should they claim one side (the black side)?

I understand that Barack claims one side. However, I think he prefaced that with the idea that he was running as a black man because that is how most people see him. That statement does not however speak to how he sees himself…….

I guess my real question is which perception is more prevelant at least amongst the people that you know? I am wondering how much things have changed since historical times.

Thanks.

Well, personally, I claim whoever claims me.

But, "Bi-racial" or "mixed-heritage" or by whatever term the individuals choose to be referenced, I will respect it.

I just know that any person with one Black parent and another non-Black parent sure does have it rough, especially if one parent is White.

Often, they're too Black to be accepted by Whites and too White to be accepted by Blacks.

During and after slavery, the status of the mother and the "One Drop Rule" determined slave-vs-free and "race." ---Just a drop of "Black" and you were Black no matter how White you looked.

Then, the "Color Codes" came into play: Mulatto (1/2), Quadroon (1/4) and Octoroon (1/8).

So, historically, children of Black and White parents (or other race mixes) have always been caught in the middle.

Historically, On one hand, Black people have EMBRACED them with the "Color Struck Syndrome" because we have been indoctrinated to think that anything White or CLOSE TO White is RIGHT.

And, then, on the other hand, Black people have also ostracized them because they were TOO White.

And, if they totally rejected their Black heritage and "Passed" on into White society/culture, then Black people REALLY dragged them thru the dirt.

Or if, like Tiger, they did not WHOLLY reject their White or other race mix, they were also verbally abused.

So, they just can't win on either side. :10500:

But, Barack gets a "pass" cuz he married a Black woman, a dark-skinned Black woman, not a "light-bright-d@mn-near-White" woman and not a White one.

Cuz, trust and believe, if Michelle looked like Vanessa Williams or Mariah Carey, Black people woulda been saying, "See, he had to have a wife who was close to White."

Sorry I went on so....But, I can't help but think about all the "categories" even so-called ALL Black people have gone through.

Heck, we don't ALL even agree what to call or describe OURSELVES.

We've been "Colored" and "Negro."

Some of us use "Black."

Some use "African American." ..."African"...and "Brown"

Sister True prefers a "Woman of African Descent." (with different spelling)

And, we have even argued and debated EACH OTHER on what and how "WE" should label US. :10500:

Even some bi-racial people got mad at Barack when he said that he was a "Mutt." :10500:

So, I can certainly understand the struggles with personal and societal "identity" that any "mixed" person deals with.

And whatever he or she decides to call themselves, I should respect it.

I haven't walked in their shoes.

I really don't care what others identify themselves as. At the end of the day, your either here to help us or harm us. I will admit that I find this trend of labeling fascinating as I have only seen it happen with black people. I never see Keanu Reeves and Rob Schneider go to such troubles to name all their add mixtures like I do "mixed" famous black folks. Ooops! I shouldn't be calling them black. Anyway, only with folks with a black parent does this phenom occur. I mean Keanu Reeves is just as Japanese as he is white and yet I've never seen him argue down the white folks who claim him, denouncing his whiteness to embrace "all" of himself. I think we all know why some blacks object to bi-racials calling themselves bi-racial. Deep down I think we all realize that this push harkens to so much more than wanting to embrace "all" of ones identity. Eh...but whatever. I see people who operate on this kind of a trip as more a harm than a help to us, and rather than oppose their flight from the black community, blacks should be relieved that such elements have left. We have enough problems to deal with.

In the Spirit of Sankofa and Real Truth!

Thank you brother! I will check these out :)

And you are quite welcome my sister friend warriorprincess, hope they help in some meaningful way.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back