Black People : Biracial? or Black?

warriorprincess

REGISTERED MEMBER
Aug 24, 2009
If this topic has been discussed ad nauseum, pls forgive me and point me in the direction of the relevant thread. (I don't think that I can do a search just yet)

I just wanted to know if it’s ok in today's time that biracial people have their own identity? Or do most black people still think that they should they claim one side (the black side)?

I understand that Barack claims one side. However, I think he prefaced that with the idea that he was running as a black man because that is how most people see him. That statement does not however speak to how he sees himself…….

I guess my real question is which perception is more prevelant at least amongst the people that you know? I am wondering how much things have changed since historical times.

Thanks.

If this topic has been discussed ad nauseum, pls forgive me and point me in the direction of the relevant thread. (I don't think that I can do a search just yet)

I just wanted to know if it’s ok in today's time that biracial people have their own identity? Or do most black people still think that they should they claim one side (the black side)?

I understand that Barack claims one side. However, I think he prefaced that with the idea that he was running as a black man because that is how most people see him. That statement does not however speak to how he sees himself…….

I guess my real question is which perception is more prevelant at least amongst the people that you know? I am wondering how much things have changed since historical times.

Thanks.
During the times of Jim Crow folks, who were light enough straightened or even died their hair and passed as white.

During the period of the 60s an 70s and also the 80s, folks concidered themselves , Black, even those who actully looked white like Adam Clayton Powell Jr, Michael Manly and Glen Ford.

From Tiger Woods first awards the term birracial came about and became popular in the 21 century.

For along time even Black folks didn't want to be Black

I'ts up to the individual to do and identify themselves with what they feel comfortable with.

I just wanted to know if it’s ok in today's time that biracial people have their own identity?
This question is probably best put to "biracial" people.

And also,

Is "biracial" when a person who's mom and dad are of different ethnicities?
And or does it apply to someone who, for example, is light-skinned because
somebody (a white person) way back when going back 4 or more
generations, intervened?

Or do most black people still think that they should they claim one side (the black side)?

In this country, there is what you see yourself to be...and there
is what the populous see you as. Be what you are, however....if
one jumps "back and forth" only when it works in their
interest, don't be surprised when called on it.

I guess my real question is which perception is more prevelant at least
amongst the people that you know? I am wondering how much things have changed
since historical times.

Thanks.
For for starters,

How do you perceive this issue put in a historical context?

This question is probably best put to "biracial" people.

And also,

Is "biracial" when a person who's mom and dad are of different ethnicities?
And or does it apply to someone who, for example, is light-skinned because
somebody (a white person) way back when going back 4 or more
generations, intervened?

In this country, there is what you see yourself to be...and there
is what the populous see you as. Be what you are, however....if
one jumps "back and forth" only when it works in their
interest, don't be surprised when called on it.

For for starters,

How do you perceive this issue put in a historical context?[/QUOTE]

Hisotrically, it seemed that black people wanted biracial people to claim that they are one race, black. I am simply wondering if the climate has changed or if it is the same.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back