All Black/African Martial Artists

omowalejabali said:
Are any of you folks familiar with Brazilian Ju jitsu?
Just asking cuz I'm thinking of taking a class.

Brother O, BJJ is a beautiful thing....I train and have trained in BJJ, and Submission Grappling, ....BJJ is an art that will take a while to get the hang of and all the little things but it is viciously effective and something you can do on into your later years of life...........as I mentioned above a ground game as BJJ provides with a standup game and you are truly a well rounded individual assuming you spar and roll whenever possible..

Be careful of where you train , verify their experience and if they don't allow yall to roll in class don't do it....there are some folks out there saying they teach BJJ and they teach BSJJ .......if there are any schools you want me to check out or if you want a recommendation man let me know I know a few people who lived out your way who are BJJ guys.....and know some good schools....

Red

MississippiRed said:
Brother O, BJJ is a beautiful thing....I train and have trained in BJJ, and Submission Grappling, ....BJJ is an art that will take a while to get the hang of and all the little things but it is viciously effective and something you can do on into your later years of life...........as I mentioned above a ground game as BJJ provides with a standup game and you are truly a well rounded individual assuming you spar and roll whenever possible..

Be careful of where you train , verify their experience and if they don't allow yall to roll in class don't do it....there are some folks out there saying they teach BJJ and they teach BSJJ .......if there are any schools you want me to check out or if you want a recommendation man let me know I know a few people who lived out your way who are BJJ guys.....and know some good schools....

Red

Thanks brother Red. I will let you know if and when I decide on a program. I'm not working now and am not covered by a medical plan, which is why I'm holding out cuz I don't wanna risk injuring my knee. Can't afford another surgery. But BJJ seems like something I can do without much risk to injuring that specific joint.

omowalejabali said:
Thanks brother Red. I will let you know if and when I decide on a program. I'm not working now and am not covered by a medical plan, which is why I'm holding out cuz I don't wanna risk injuring my knee. Can't afford another surgery. But BJJ seems like something I can do without much risk to injuring that specific joint.

No problem Brother O, however BJJ isn't that easy on the joints ...especially when yall work throws and takedowns ....that would probably give your knee the most trouble because of the torquing during the throw.......BJJ can also be hard on fingers,toes,wrists,and ankles.....it's basically the nature of the beast that you're going to have injuries in any grappling art...I think the best thing to do is find a school that will let you have an introductory class or two and get in there see what's about and then you'll know for sure.....
Regardless though let me know and I'll do some digging for you .....

Red

MississippiRed said:
No problem Brother O, however BJJ isn't that easy on the joints ...especially when yall work throws and takedowns ....that would probably give your knee the most trouble because of the torquing during the throw.......BJJ can also be hard on fingers,toes,wrists,and ankles.....it's basically the nature of the beast that you're going to have injuries in any grappling art...I think the best thing to do is find a school that will let you have an introductory class or two and get in there see what's about and then you'll know for sure.....
Regardless though let me know and I'll do some digging for you .....

Red

Thanks again brother Red. I will let you know sometime in the future (after tax season!).

MississippiRed said:
No problem.....the problem with the eye poke, or groin kick is that in my experience it doesn't always work........I've seen a guy in a MMA competition almost blinded by a cat with an eyepoke but it didn't stop him and he actually won by submission.......and with a technique like an eyepoke you have to control your opponent to implement it .....

A lot of "dirty" techniques people talk about for the most part wouldn't work in a real fight and the people the usually are proponents of such have never really got in there and fought.....to me doing MMA is right now the best way to see what will work in a fight and what won't ....granted there are rules but you can't get any closer to what a real fight is like at this point.

it's you and your opponent and he's trying to hurt you and you're trying to hurt him......and the difference between the pressure it takes for me to submit you in an armbar and break your arm is not a lot at all.....and as far as the striking aspect .....you spar a lot fight tournaments and get used to getting hit so you know how to take the punishment as well as give it .....

In a real fight like I said I want to end it before I get hurt and as such with my base being Muay Thai I'm going to try to end it swiftly and violently ....no kicks no knees ....more than likely if I'm close enough to the cat all he'll get are elbows to his face and head and a couple of punches .....and trust me they hurt like hell......but my point being I trust me dropping a few elbows on somebody's melon with stopping a fight more than I trust the groin kick or eye poke..........my philosophy is train fundamentals until they are reflexive , spar hard as much as possible , enter tourneys when possible and stay in shape and have a standup game as well as ground game that you Know works in a variety of situations and you'll be alright.....

MississippiRed

great advice..I appreciate this:pool:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back