Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : A brotha with no more tolerance for weaves/wigs

As one of the previous posters stated, NOT EVERY WOMAN THAT WEARS WEAVE AND WIGS HATES HER NATURAL HAIR OR HERSELF!!!! I have been natural for about 4 years, i will NEVER go back to relaxers because of the harmful effects that it causes. However i like to switch hair styles at will. One minute i will wear my big huge fro, the next minute i will wear a kinky curly weave down to my but!!(that is the same texture as my natural hair mind you) I am in the hair care/hair weave industry. A big part of my mission is to reinstill the notion that we are beautiful however we choose to wear our hair as long as it is healthy for us!!! I have many clients that have allopecia and have stopped relaxing their hair and are using hair weave while they are regrowing their natural hair, that lack of manipulation to their natural hair has worked wonders and their hair is growing like wildfire!!!!! Our ancestors in Kemet/Egypt Afraka used different fibers for extensions!!!!! This is not new!! Did they hate themselves?? No!! There are soo many of us that feel this way...soo many of us that love ourselves unconditionally and absolutely LOVE OUR hair!! Does that mean we can no switch things up, absolutely not!! The weave that i wear is nappier than my natural hair!! So its not about that! And the number one product that is in high demand from me is Kinky hair!!! Women love it! Many of them understand and love their natural beauty. However when we have to chop of our hair due to relaxers sometimes it can take time to grow back, some of us have not been use to short hair because our long hair was long, so its a transition so we work through that process and embrace it and wear weaves or wigs to aid in the growth process. This mentality that we hate ourselves if we wear extensions must change... I recognize that it does apply to many, but it does not apply to all and i am doing all i can with my business to help those that do not yet understand...

I TEND TO THINK THAT WHAT COMES OUT THE HEAD, IS MORE RELEVANT AND REVEALING THAN WHATS ON THE HEAD.

Not every sista who rocks a fro or locks are these graceful, conscious beings (some can be downright nasty)..........and not all permed/weaved sistas (including Grandma, or Mom-Mom, or your daughters) are airheaded sellouts.

Consider the fact that for a while, brothas were perming, (me included) for the braided look, and some still do for the 360-waves look. Is it right for me to assume that they are less aware, more prone to caucasianist thinking than a brother with a fro, some beads and dreds? I wear the faded low cut, does that make me a Tom, a person unaware of his culture......or a person lacking in SELF-ESTEEM?

Sometimes we harshly judge each other. We just tear into each other. I keep thinking, "we have bigger issues" than hair and fashion.

I understand what you are saying about loving yourself, I loooove my natural hair, I feel like this is truly me. That being said, I don't think anything is wrong with a relaxer, I look at it like hair color, it is just a different form of your hair. The problem is that many sistas feel as if their hair is unmanageable when it is in it's natural form. I was so afraid of my natural hair, that I refused to believe that it could be handled. Then, when I was tired of all the breaking and damage and short haircuts, I finally decided to give it a try. Let me be honest brotha, natural hair is no joke. The detangling and moisturizing is serious business, but it is me and it is my hair, and I enjoy it. I know a lot of women that have natural hair but they get it blown out every 2 weeks, and their hair is down to their back. It's still their's, but it is straight. It's all about accepting who you are AND WHAT YOU LIKE. I feel you though, when people see my hair, they love it, but when I tell them they can do it too, they give me the blank stare, LOL! So maybe it does have more to do with not knowing more about your own hair...hmmmm? And not buying into the fact that natural is not beautiful. However, it is nice to see that a brotha likes the natural thing :) I went on a date once and a man stared at the top of my **** head the entire time, then I found out that he had only dated white woman before, so he wasn't really feeling my hair. Hot mess!!

I keep thinking, "we have bigger issues" than hair and fashion.

the "hair thing" is a symptom of atleast one of those bigger issues...

it's funny how permies or the men who love 'em are so quick to say "it's just hair" but when it comes to skin bleaching everybody is critical...it's just skin, dang it!

I went on a date once and a man stared at the top of my **** head the entire time, then I found out that he had only dated white woman before, so he wasn't really feeling my hair. Hot mess!!

Oh heck naw! What was on top of his head?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back