Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : A brotha with no more tolerance for weaves/wigs

Black Squared

Feb 28, 2010
I can't take it anymore. Where are the black women with self esteem? Where are the black women who know their natural hair is beautiful? I see a few on this forum but none in the real world unless they are from another country. Weaves/wigs (especially wigs) say to me "I want to be attractive and my natural hair is not". If I wanted a woman with long straight hair I'd go to the ones born with it and they are not black. It's getting increasingly harder to find a black woman with self esteem.

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Brother Black Squared ... it is sad, to see so many Sisters not able or willing to embrace what God gave them.

But don't be too discouraged with us, for it is a long legacy of accommodating others, that we come from ... that drives this.

It's so intertwined with who we are, that we simply can't make the differentiations, and needed changes, easily or quickly.

I spent the majority of my life permed. While I've not wore wigs / weaves, it all comes from the same place I think. If it were not for this community, Sisters and Brothers that talked of loving their own selves, totally, completely, naturally ... i probably would still be permed. It NEVER came to my mind prior to this community, the discussions that have taken place here. Once I did begin to think on it, mull it over inside myself, it was still some years before I could actually do it ... cut off all my permed hair ... and go natural. It's almost like cutting off an arm, with the exception that the hair might grow back. It's rooted deep in us, oftentimes being introduced by our very own Mothers, which legitimizes it immediately. It's a very hard current to swim against.

It's just one of the manifestations we see, from the conditioning put on our people.

Black Men killing each other every night, is another.

That's why I love this community, continue to put all I have in it, for it has helped me see things differently.

And I know, if it can help me, it can help others too.

We just have to be patient with each other, recognizing it's a personal growth for each, while yearning for the collective success we hope for.

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

Black Squared

Feb 28, 2010
Brother Black Squared ... it is sad, to see so many Sisters not able or willing to embrace what God gave them.

But don't be too discouraged with us, for it is a long legacy of accommodating others, that we come from ... that drives this.

It's so intertwined with who we are, that we simply can't make the differentiations, and needed changes, easily or quickly.

I spent the majority of my life permed. While I've not wore wigs / weaves, it all comes from the same place I think. If it were not for this community, Sisters and Brothers that talked of loving their own selves, totally, completely, naturally ... i probably would still be permed. It NEVER came to my mind prior to this community, the discussions that have taken place here. Once I did begin to think on it, mull it over inside myself, it was still some years before I could actually do it ... cut off all my permed hair ... and go natural. It's almost like cutting off an arm, with the exception that the hair might grow back. It's rooted deep in us, oftentimes being introduced by our very own Mothers, which legitimizes it immediately. It's a very hard current to swim against.

It's just one of the manifestations we see, from the conditioning put on our people.

Black Men killing each other every night, is another.

That's why I love this community, continue to put all I have in it, for it has helped me see things differently.

And I know, if it can help me, it can help others too.

We just have to be patient with each other, recognizing it's a personal growth for each, while yearning for the collective success we hope for.

Love You!

:heart:

Destee
I agree with that. It is difficult for me to be patient with our people. A lot of the same issues we face now I have struggled with in the past myself and needed education too. It just hurts when you become the one trying to educate others and they resist your knowledge.

In the meantime I pretty much have to remain single because I refuse to be with a woman with no self esteem.

kde

Oct 26, 2009
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I am a sister, but I feel the same way. We look SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better, much more regal, almost, with our natural hair rather than these appendages of colonialism atop our heads!

I have been natural most of my life and wear my hair in locks that are upper-mid back in length.

Unfortunately, it appears that all too many sisters would rather suffer hair loss and thinning, if only the few remaining strands they have left can be straightened.

medusanegrita

Mar 13, 2010
STL Missouri
I looked good with my weaved ponytail and braided extensions with beads on the ends. Did it myself I did.

I'd do it again too.

Since I have been natural, what I have come to realize is that for many black women, it is not about emulating white folks, but trying to figure out how to care for and manage natural hair. Straight hair seems easier to care for than kinky/curly/nappy hair is constantly dry, won't lay down, and has a tendency to stick up all over the place. Many of us have lost our ability to plait and braid, or can not do that on our own heads. And many of us think of plaiting and braiding as a children's style, and grown women should let that go and wear a down style, and not everyone wants to wear Afro all their life.

I know of several people who tried to leave their daughters hair natural - men and women. Then when the kids went to stay with grandparents, the grandparents frowned upon the hair, thought it too unruly and manageable, and then relaxed it. The mommas and daddies didn't like it, but it's so accepted that you don't reprimand your own parents when they do something like that. But the grandparents (or the parents) was not trying to make imitation white people, they were just trying to get the hair to be more presentable and behave.

As a man, have you ever had long nappy hair? Have you ever done your daughters hair if it was longer and nappy? Do you know how much considerable time and effort to takes to do it? I take a minimum of two hours from start to finish to style my own hair and my children's hair. That's wash, condition, comb, brush, grease, braid/plait/ponytail/twists. 2 hours per person that can stretch to 6 hours depending on the style.

Not only do some women not have the ability to do such styles, many don't have the time.

I would say... forgive them for they know not what they do.

And I see many natural haired women around everyday. Some of those who have straight(er) hair... might actually be black women. Not all of us are caintchy-dontchy nappy. And not all of us who wear weaves and wigs have problems of insecurity with ourselves and our hair.... tho I concede that many us do. Many of us think black men (or any man) wants a women with long straight hair. We believe that because men do compliment and chat up long straight hair on women a lot. Black men have come to appreciate more of what they think black women do not have - long hair. And straight hair shows it's length better nappy hair. Nappy hair has a shrinkage factor of of anywhere from 20%-70% so you can't see the longer length of hair that many people desire and fawn over.

If you want a natural haired woman, they are out there.
But don't judge a sista too harshly for the weave/relaxers/wigs.
Chat her up first before you set your judgment of her in stone.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
river Black People : Brotha OldSoul is 75% Betta Black People Open Forum 0
river OldSoul : Brotha OldSoul is Recuperating from Major Surgery OldSoul 8
river Black People : Message from Brotha Oldsoul about Today's Class Black People Open Forum 1
river Black People : Brotha Oldsoul Takes a look at The Crossroads of Time Black People Open Forum 0
M Science and Technology : The Time Travel Brotha. . .Dr. Ronald Mallett Science and Technology 39
ProphetikGeneral Black Relationships : The Complex Style of Relationships-Tips for a Brotha Black Relationships 1
river Black People : Brotha Oldsoul is in the Hospital Black People Open Forum 52
S Black Entertainment : "Mindcuffs" by Brotha's Keepa Black Entertainment 0
river Black People : Expanding the Brotha OldSoul Class Recordings Black People Open Forum 2
river Black People : Five Year Anniversary Recording Brotha Oldsoul Black People Open Forum 1
river Black Poetry : Sista Kiwanda (Kiki) and Brotha OldSoul at Visions with Voices Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
river Black People : Happy Earthday Brotha Oldsoul Black People Open Forum 1
river Black People : Autistic Brotha Gets Ten Years for Assaulting the Police Black People Open Forum 1
river Black People : Brotha Khasm: A Question for You Black People Open Forum 2
Destee Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Angie Stone - Brotha Audio Video Web Conferencing 6
ru2religious Black Entertainment : X Clan - Heed the Word of the Brotha! Black Entertainment 0
river OldSoul : Brotha Oldsoul Needs Our Prayers OldSoul 14
river Black People : Brotha Oldsoul On the Missing Person's List Black People Open Forum 3
river Black People : Something New at Consciousness Raising with Brotha Oldsoul Black People Open Forum 0
river Black Picture Image Gallery : In Chicago with Brotha Oldsoul Black Picture Image Gallery 5
Metaverse Black People : Conspiracy Brotha Must Die Black People Open Forum 51
river Black People : There Will Be A Sunday Tribute to MJ With Brotha Oldsoul Black People Open Forum 3
river Black People : Reminder: Brotha Oldsoul's Classes Black People Open Forum 0
M Black Poetry : MY WORLD'S FOR THE BROTHA MAN REMIX Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
R Quiet Poetry Lounge : Should I Love A Brotha? Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
river Brotha Omo Please Help Black Health and Wellness 1
I Black People : VIDEO:BROTHA ANSWERING WHITE GIRL ON HOW MUCH HE LOVES AMERICA! Black People Open Forum 0
King Tubbs Black People : Journalist tries to catch brotha out....AND FAILS!!! Black People Open Forum 0
watzinaname Black Poetry : Happy Birthday Brotha Khasm13!!! Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
K Black Poetry : Im Yo Brotha Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 12
K Black People : Brotha to Brotha Black People Open Forum 5
King Tubbs Black People : White jewish girls gets told the TRUTH by brotha Black People Open Forum 72
watzinaname Black Poetry : Happy Birthday Brotha Da Street So'ja..Let's Do a Birthday Cypher! Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
river Black People : Our Brotha Mumia Fought For All Of Us Black People Open Forum 1
KWABENA Black People : 14 YEAR-OLD YOUNG BROTHA KILLED BY BOOT CAMP GUARDS AND NURSE Black People Open Forum 3
B Black Poetry : Pains of a brotha Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
river Black People : Brotha Oldsoul's Avatar Black People Open Forum 5
river Black Spirituality Religion : The Brotha Proved His Pont. Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
Joyce Black Relationships : Sistahs...Do You Think That Grills Are Sexy In A Brotha's Mouth? Black Relationships 19
PoeticManifesta Black People : ******space.com.. a conversation about it with another young minded brotha (22) Black People Open Forum 0
KWABENA Black People : Another WAKE UP! Call from a Brotha to his People... Black People Open Forum 0
nevar Spoken Word : Be strong my sista/brotha..... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
KWABENA Black People : HAPPY EARTH/BIRTH-DAY BROTHA MALIK! Black People Open Forum 0
triniti424 Black Poetry : ATTENTION ALL MY WARRIOR BROTHA KINGS: SPEAK 4 YOUR QUEENZ! Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
I Black Poetry : Happy Birthday Brotha Abstract Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
V Black People : brotha get's killed for accidently bumping into another blackman(oh and it's on tape) Black People Open Forum 10
river Black People : Why I Love Brotha Samurai Black People Open Forum 3
river Black People : Notes From Brotha Old Soul's Message Sunday April 9, 2006 Black People Open Forum 12
river Black Spirituality Religion : Continuing My Discussion With Brotha Aqil Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
river Did This Brotha Speak for All Of You? Black Men 44