Black People : What Do You Know And Understand About Us 'Black Indians'?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by chuck, Sep 17, 2013.

1. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    There was not and is not a 'one size fits all' identity for all of us in the Americas etc.

Even the term 'black' is not of a 'race'...

And some of what was mislabelled as 'black slave narratives' are actually came from the descendants of africans, i. e., which some mixed race and/or so called 'indian' slaveholders used as unpaid laborers, too...

Carter Woodson rightfully pointed out the'Miseducation of the (so called) Negro', and now we also need to correct misconceptions of who was claimed to be who, i. e., which had led to misconceptions among all of us, to this very day...

Your feelings and thoughts would also be appreciated and quite welcomed...

FYI

2. Fine1952

Fine1952 Happy Winter Solstice MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,775
    I prefer the term native American. The folsom people civilized America 40,000 years ago; therefore, native Americans are johnny-come-latelies at best.

As far a 'race' is concerned there can only be "one" -- the human race.

Black people have been everywhere before everywhere was popular to everyone.

1Love,
    Fine1952
    :hearts1:

3. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    I accept the fact we are all human beings, first and foremost, though some reflect the term, i. e., people of color, and others who redine themselves as 'white' don't always live up to the same hype...

In all cases, human beings are defined by their relationships to each other, and suchlike reflects their culture/heritage/history/etc.

As far as I know and have learned, my folks legacy came by the way of the enslavement of indigenous folk, then led to the mingling of africans, imported to replace the ones the white invaders had worked to death...

I. e., the mingling took place in the slave quarters, and/or among those who stole back their freedom, aka the 'black seminoles' etc.

As regards earlier arrivals, only their distant descendants can and should tell us, above and beyond other folks mere speculation etc.

I just don't buy the popular accepted notion, i. e., africans were the only folk whose earlier descendants ventured far from their original homelands, and started up something new as well...

FYI

4. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Was and is there a Bering Strait connection?

How can we accept or reject such speculation, without any facts to confirm it?!?

I. e., the facts were and are, a bunch of folks who didn't look black or white, were already here, when Columbus dared to claim the Americas were the 'new world'...

FYI

5. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    We have a shared history of alliances and resistance to the same exploiters/oppressors...

The descendants of both, be they identified as 'black' or 'indians', are either into denial or have forgotten about that, in 2013!

Such can be reversed, if both parties are able and willing to...

FYI...

6. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Among these folks are some of my peeps:

My dear grandma was the clan mother of her northeastside Detroit community etc.

Roots with feathers on, y'all..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippi_Band_Choctaw

Anybody who had been or heard about the grassroots efforts to empower our folk in urban centers, shouldn't be suprised the grassroots folk down south did likewise...

(BIG smile)...

Don't buy what our enemies and 'critics' hype, via failed black slave revolts, and just white folk leading our ancestors to rebel ad naseum...

FYI

7. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317

Well, not all darker skin folk were Africans, just that people having lighter skin didn't happen til much later on the earth. So all populated places would have been called as being populated by "blacks" nowadays, regardless of their origin.

8. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    Honestly, I don't know that much about "black Indians", though many here in NOLA claim the heritage. There was even a section in the paper dedicated to Black Natives, but I was younger and can't remember what was said about them, save they did exist, and wanted people to know it.

9. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Being that so many of us were/are descended from enslaved ancestors etc., what did and does make ROOTS such a unique narrative is because Alex Haley Jr. not only knew his own family's oral history, but found means/ways/etc. to get the descendants of his ancestor's white slaveholders to share the information they held on to...

Me?

I wouldn't have saught out the same folk, and on general principles...

But Haley's call...

Not mine!

And it's all real...

FYI

10. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    First of all, we live in different places/spaces/etc., and some aren't famliar with the same labels, y'know?

If you are referring to New Orleans, what might be a beloved tradition-- during your Madi Gras-- did and does mislead others to who the real 'black indians' were and are...

All of us love to party, but that doesn't make us anybody we merely choose to identify ourselves with, at the time...

I. e., it is only in terms of their self serving imagery, whites did and do dare to project their own immorality, on non white people...

Not anything and everything was just accepted, without the person being judged fairly and honestly, on their merits, etc. as worthy of being welcomed into our ancestors beloved communities, red or black...

FYI