Permanent Black Man
PREMIUM MEMBER
May 16, 2002
Bronzeville USA
www.blackland.org
Occupation
Staying Alive
trump_pence3.jpg
"...Generations of Black historians and scholars believe that if they dig up the RIGHT historical facts and present them compellingly enough, it will make a difference. If we show them Emmett Till’s disfigured face. If we dig up the numbers of lynching victims. If we write in exhaustive detail about the intersections between capitalism and the rise of the prison industry and how it disproportionately ensnares Black and Brown people. If we show them the data. If we show them the cell phone footage of our deaths, then they’ll believe. Our words and truths have not convinced White America of our humanity, much less compelled collective action in the name of justice for us. But Black studies has existed for half a century, and White people have dissed it at every turn—scores of Black scholars who have dedicated their lives to producing credible evidence of racism, only to be discredited and devalued and pushed aside. Do we need 500 more years of racial fuckery before we finally get this truth?
There is not a single thing that White people do not understand about racism and white supremacy except the thing that we are addicted to believing we can somehow magically make them see: Our humanity and the suffering caused by living in a racist society. And if White people can pretend that they “don’t see race” or color, they can also pretend not to see racism. Not to see their own privilege, power, or culpability in maintaining an entire system built upon inequality. This game they play is a form of cognitive dissonance that they use to protect racial privilege and reproduce racism in dialogues about race. By faking ignorance, they don’t have to take responsibility for the things they do. By claiming naïveté, they absolve themselves of racist sins so they can turn around and sin again."

https://www.damemagazine.com/2018/01/16/white-people-understand-exactly-how-racism-works/

trump_pence3.jpg
"...Generations of Black historians and scholars believe that if they dig up the RIGHT historical facts and present them compellingly enough, it will make a difference. If we show them Emmett Till’s disfigured face. If we dig up the numbers of lynching victims. If we write in exhaustive detail about the intersections between capitalism and the rise of the prison industry and how it disproportionately ensnares Black and Brown people. If we show them the data. If we show them the cell phone footage of our deaths, then they’ll believe. Our words and truths have not convinced White America of our humanity, much less compelled collective action in the name of justice for us. But Black studies has existed for half a century, and White people have dissed it at every turn—scores of Black scholars who have dedicated their lives to producing credible evidence of racism, only to be discredited and devalued and pushed aside. Do we need 500 more years of racial fuckery before we finally get this truth?
There is not a single thing that White people do not understand about racism and white supremacy except the thing that we are addicted to believing we can somehow magically make them see: Our humanity and the suffering caused by living in a racist society. And if White people can pretend that they “don’t see race” or color, they can also pretend not to see racism. Not to see their own privilege, power, or culpability in maintaining an entire system built upon inequality. This game they play is a form of cognitive dissonance that they use to protect racial privilege and reproduce racism in dialogues about race. By faking ignorance, they don’t have to take responsibility for the things they do. By claiming naïveté, they absolve themselves of racist sins so they can turn around and sin again."

https://www.damemagazine.com/2018/01/16/white-people-understand-exactly-how-racism-works/

Everyday, I thank God to be a member of GroupThink. We reached the same conclusion Stacey Patton did, over nine (9) years ago ... An excerpt from BAMN, Chapter 1:

In this first chapter we will address racism. Our purpose is not to dwell on racism because we realize that focusing on something only brings about more of it. But we do realize that in order to solve a problem, it must be identified. So, we will identify racism (how it got here, what it is, and how to identify it) and then move on.

What is Racism?

This may seem like a dumb question to some. After all, racism has been around for ages. Many scholars have dealt with it, yet there still is a controversy on what it is. Is it hatred towards another race? Is it prejudging other races? Is it discriminating against another based on their race? Does it matter? Well first...

Let us look at the definition of racism.

According to the Concise Oxford English Dictionary Racism is: ...

What Is The Solution?

Should we spend our time trying to be equal with white people, or should we spend our time trying to empower ourselves? Well, let's consider the first part of the question. Will Black people ever convince white supremacist to walk hand in hand with them?

So first, we need to change our perspective. If we people spent half the time doing for ourselves as they did trying to "measure up" to white people we would be a lot better off. Freeing yourself from being discriminated against, being prejudged or being stereotyped is nothing but a PR move. And while Public Relations may land you a good job, it won't free you from the beast.

It is time to empower ourselves and move toward liberation and do so By Any Means Necessary for OUR people regardless of what "prejudice" or "racist" people think or tell us they think about us ...

Cover_m.gif

trump_pence3.jpg

I've also noticed, this as well. I became quite tired of hearing that phrase: "I don't see color".. yet, when each person whom i've ever met encounters racism? Look to your left, over your shoulder, and to the right. They will flee the scene faster than a horse can trot. I've seen this scenario so many times, that i've gotten to the point, that when i hear that person say "I don't see color".. I will retort, "Yeah, that's not all, you DON'T see." I've given up on making friends with them. To have a friendship, one must have a complete understanding of each others cultural make up. If they pick out only the parts that make them "comfortable", then it's not worth the effort.

Speaking of "comfortable"? Talk about race in their presence, and you can see one of two reactions:

1) They become uncomfortable. Shifting in their chair, clam up like a lawyer in a church, they'll become suddenly distracted, a thinly veiled irritation (some times a subtle eye-roll).. Or look to their white counterpart for queues on what to do next - for example: Which direction to run for the nearest exit.

2) They'll become patronizing or even worse - make a joke about racism, or try to say something "sage", philosophical or wise about it. (like they actually know what the hell they're talking about.)

I, recently experienced a situation at an event during the holidays. We had guests over. One of them, finally came out and said he was a Trump Supporter. I didn't say one word, and withheld judgement - well, okay.... for at least 5 seconds.

As the evening wore on, he became increasingly inebriated, he started talking about how the 50's were the "good ole' days".. I piped up: "Yeah, but not for us!"

By just those 5 words? I made a whole darn room of white people uncomfortable.

By just those 5 words? I made a whole darn room of white people uncomfortable.

White people don't want to see themselves as racist. And they want blacks to see themselves that way too. When blacks don't speak up and just go along to get along, then that convinces whites that they are not racist.

But when blacks do speak up and challenges whites about racism, they get very uncomfortable and go into a state of denial. That denial is like a safety value and makes them feel secure that blacks are wrong and they are right. When blacks persist in showing them of their racism, they get angry and will leave the room still in a state of denial.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back